Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Keeperfx 0.38 strange behaviours in windowed mode

Ghost

Default Keeperfx 0.38 strange behaviours in windowed mode

I'm running Keeperfx 0.38 in windowed mode in a Win7 64 bits notebook with the following graphic settings:

FRONTEND_RES=640x480w32 640x480w32 640x480w32
    INGAME_RES=1024x768w32 1024x768w32 1024x768w32

My desktop resolution is 1280x800

They are 3 strange behaviours:

1. If you try to click in the minimize icon or in the cross icon to close the game (and window), the mouse goes within the game instead of minimizing or closing it
    2. If you click in any part of the title bar in the opened window, the window moves automatically to the down side of the screen and stays behind the Start bar. Now it doesn't let you return to the game
    3. In the task bar, clicking with the right button of the mouse over KeeperFX task, it doesn't display the contextual menu with the options to close the program and the other standard things
    Last edited by jomalin; January 10th, 2011 at 09:12.

Default Re: Keeperfx 0.38 strange behaviours in windowed mode

And what if you use "-altinput" command line option?

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    And what if you use "-altinput" command line option?
    With the -altinput parameter the problem persist. Probably can be a SDL problem incompatibility with the windows management in Win7? Or some code you must add to fully support that in Win7? I don't know...

I believe one problem (last I checked) was that DK uses its own coordinate system for cursor. I removed that in my SDL port but I believe it was re-added to trunk [again saying this without checking most recent code).

This means the mouse cursor will behave "not so nicely" outside of KeeperFX window, as the external cursor position is different from DK cursor.

IMO that part of DK code could be simplified - SDL makes cross-platform guarantees about cursor behaviour AFAIK.
    Last edited by p_hansson; January 6th, 2011 at 12:56.

Coordinates computation is required in KeeperFX; actually, I just expanded it, adding mouse sensitivity.
    Also, the problem is not the recomputation, but that KeeperFX is "capturing" mouse, preventing from movement outside of its window.

I don't think it's possible to just move mouse out of KeeperFX window to somewhere else; it would greatly affect the in-game controls.
    The most problematic thing is controlling possession - I can't imagine any way of moving there it without "capturing" the mouse.

Well, maybe I just can't see something?

You're right about mouse sensitivity, wouldn't be possible to alter if. Then again, user probably has his preferred operating system settings, so it wouldn't be a problem for GUI navigation.

Capturing mouse for possession is required though. However, I suppose one could activate it when entering possessed mode and then releasing mouse once leaving possessed mode. I believe some FPS games do it this way when switching from menu GUI to gameplay GUI (heads up display).

Might add I encountered a "mouse clips to only a sub-rectangle of window" in full screen mode on Vista with current repository code.

Ghost

This is only a suggestion... Having found 3 bugs so fast in the 0.38 version (some bridge slabs crash game, creatures don't heal up himself in lair and windowed mode behaviours), I think you must better test keeperfx versions before you release it on the site, or post a beta version in forums first, so users on this forum like me, can try it and find possible bugs befire releasing the final version. Some new users to KeeperFX can get annoyed with these bugs easy to experiment when they try it and they will leave it... Sorry about that, as I said, it is only a suggestion
    Last edited by jomalin; January 7th, 2011 at 10:27.

Ghost

That's exactly what is happening right now.

There is nothing that says "final version" so with every release you can say that it's a beta version and not guaranteed stable.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

A bit of respect, jomalin! Mefisto and his colleagues are working hard to make the game working properly. As Krizzie said, we're right into bugs correction.

While the bug are under correction, you can still play the previous version which still works pretty fine.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...