Thread: The current code

Default The current code

Hello!

I am happy to see things appear to be moving behind the scenes (http://www.moddb.com/games/keeper-3/news/still-alive26) regarding the WftO project, and hope to one day see this project completed.

I do have a question regarding the current code.

From reading the faq (http://www.moddb.com/games/keeper-3/news/faq7), it was implied that the code has now switched to the unreal engine. However, the google code repository (last commit 24th dec 2010) still states that the code is a fork from NBK, and the code on that repository agrees with this. My questions in light of this are:

1) Is the code for WftO still open source?
    2) If so, what is the location of the current code repository that uses the unreal engine?

I am a programmer who would like to help with the project, but due to the time constraints of my university degree I would only be able to help sporadically (curse deadlines!). A project with an open source SVN/git/'whatever you like' would be much easier to assist with whenever I get the chance.

Many thanks, I look forward to hearing some replies.

Good luck with this!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

Default Re: The current code

Well when we switched over, I had not been able to deal with the SVN, it appears almost every programmer I speak to would like this to be open source, so I decided that we should be. So sometime within this week I will get the SVN up to date.

The code cannot be Open source. Since we are working with UDK we must keep with their EULA which states:
    "Q: Can I release a UDK game as open source?

A: The rights to develop and release a game for free are contained in the end-user license agreement (EULA). The EULA is also the license that governs the release of your game as it's built on UDK. You can't release your UDK project under terms other than the UDK EULA (like GPL, LGPL, open source, etc.). You don't have the right to encumber the UDK with terms that we have not already granted to you. "

Anyway this doesn't mean you won't have access to the code. Its just a matter of licences.

We accept any help anyway, but we are working as a team, so Dinberg the best is speak with Kyle and we'll figure out eventually how you can help us out

If you still have any question about licences ask away We are trying to figure everything out as well

Excellent, many thanks for the information!

By open source, I meant 'available source' rather than any specific licensing contract. I will keep an eye here to await further developments

I'm still at the beginning of the current term, so need to wait to see how time restrictions will play. Hopefully I will get time to spend on this wonderful project.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Quote Originally Posted by Dinberg View Post
    Excellent, many thanks for the information!

By open source, I meant 'available source' rather than any specific licensing contract. I will keep an eye here to await further developments

I'm still at the beginning of the current term, so need to wait to see how time restrictions will play. Hopefully I will get time to spend on this wonderful project.
    Using UDK you are required to use the UDK EULA, so license is involved.
    "The essence of religion: Fear God and obey God. The quintessence of spirituality: Love God and become another God." -- Sri Chinmoy