Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [0.38] Debugger extremely slow?

Ghost

Default Re: [0.38] Debugger extremely slow?

Well Mefisto usually wanted the last 15 lines when a crash or bug occured, so 25 should be more than enough. It would surely cost less HDD space and write time (which makes the PC slow usually) I'll doubt it that DKFX can cause a 100% CPU load on modern systems. If it does than that's a possible bug too I guess.

Edit:

Ok, I just ran the Debug version with the Taskmanager on the other screen (gotta love 2!) it does pull 100% cpu (well 1 of 4) so that can also cause the lack in performance. The memory doesn't go beyond 34MB. So I think a bug snuck in somewhere compared to the older versions. A 14 year old game that can get a Core 2 Quad on it's knees surely has a bug somewhere. :P
    Last edited by Krizzie; February 3rd, 2011 at 22:15.

Single-threaded games usually end up taking 100% of a core, simply because it isn't possible to make them "sleep" with reliability. Multi-tasking operating systems can't make any hard guarantees on the timing, and thus the Sleep() function in Windows is more suitable to GUI applications where 100 ms of randomness before resuming a background task may not matter. Thus, the game loop runs the entire time (even if doing no real work), causing 100% CPU usage. So 100% CPU is normal and doesn't say much I'm afraid.

Ghost

Yes I know that part, but there's a difference between 100% load and +/-100% load. One runs fine the other makes the whole system look like an old lady. When playing a game, you should see the load varying between 90% and 100% if it just sticks at a 100% it will cause the problem. Working till the limit is fine, working at the limit isn't.

And it still doesn't explain why the debugger from the older versions ran smoother than the one now. I could even use framskip back then and it still ran smooth. After an hour it started to feel a little slow (cause of the huge log file I guess) but not at the start.

Edit:

I played the normal version with the Taskmanager on, and the cpu load was around 10% instead of 25% (100% load on 1 core) so the normal version doesn't put max pressure on the cpu.
    Last edited by Krizzie; February 4th, 2011 at 16:20.