Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Keeper - Browsergame

Default Dungeon Keeper - Browsergame

Hello, im just writing an fully 3D browsergame in pure Html / Javascript (no flash, java, other plugin).
    Actualy im using webGL for 3d-acceleration. Cause i wanted to learn webGL i thought it would be a nice idea to use a dungeon keeper game as learning object. Progress will not go as fast as maybe others but i'll keep developing it every day. My idea was a developing in the following milestones:

Milestone1: The Digging
    - You can register, login and continue building your dungeon. There are no creatures, you can simply make it as you always wanted your dream dungeon to be.
    Milestone2: The Singleplayer
    - When enough people like the project, ill continue on working creatures. Imps which have to dig, others which have to sleep, east etc.
    - At this part the community has to be big enough, cause i will need 3d-models of the creatures.
    Milestone3: The Action
    - Adding the first-person options, spells etc.
    Milestone4: The Multiplayer
    - At first simply merging 2 maps of 2 players which can simply attack each other (invite to a duel).
    Milestone5: The Massive
    - When still enough people like the project and keep gettign feedback, ideas, reporting bugs, whatever i 'may' even build some kind of working economy so that players can create guilds and attack together, and putting every player instead of his own small world somewhere in a realy big world.

When i stop developing this project and i am sure that i will no more continue to it, i will release the sourcecode, so everyone can contribute.

Thats my idea so far, i already started on the 3d engine which actual works and am currently making all kind of wall-types. non-breakable, dig-able, fortified, normal floor, owned floor etc. I will also try to create a nice website which will include the game then, including newest release screenshots and access to the dev-center which allows players to play the in-development version. But that will be after basics work but before MS1.

Hope you like the idea. Any feedback would be nice

Greetz
    Reaper

PS. im also thinking about making ingame items which can be interactively used. like putting your own sound into an room (maybe, but for example) or when owning a guild you can automaticaly display text / html / images / whatever on ingame signs, paintings etc.

EDIT: 12. April Im still working on it, its getting slowly but with more quality, a more advanced 3d-engine, mucis, textures etc. Will still take some time
    Last edited by Reaper88; April 12th, 2011 at 07:51.

Default Re: Dungeon Keeper - Browsergame

Interesting, I hope that everything works out then, oh and welcome to the forum
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"

A small progress-picture:

"Changelog":
    1. I am able to load maps from a .map file.
    2. the map is displayed
    3. keyboard movement with arrow keys works about 90% (you can still move out of the map)
    5. mouse-camera works about 50%. you can look a bit up/down (90degrees down / straight forward) and rotate it. still needs to rotate around the map instead of around itself.

Next steps:
    1. getting movement done
    2. making walls digable
    3. posting here :-d
    post demo here :-D

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

It's looking sexy man, if you the demo up, I will be sure to play it.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: PeaceMaker7

Ill wait for the first demo then judge, but the screenshot looks nice tough
    Pizu Meaku Shin Shedji

Please keep us informed of the progress you make!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Okay my first simple tech-demo is ready. Dont expect that you can do anything.
    It actualy shows the possibility to render a 3d map in the browser (your browser needs webGL support, thats included in newest firefox, opera, chrome...) dont expect internet explorer to run it, cause it lacks years behind other browsers. And as far as i know there is NO plugin for older browsers to support webGL.

What actualy works:
    - you can scroll over the map with arrow-keys or by moving the mouse at the edges of the render-area.
    - you can zoom using the mousewheel
    - you can rotate the camera while pressing the mousewheel down.

Cause my next point was selecting blocks i needed colision-detection support. After some research on that, i recognized that the way i build it till now isnt compatible with collision support and map-manipulation. so i started to rewrite the whole renderer. this means technicaly that the next real progress will likely not be today. but i keep this thread up-to-date :-D
    Here it goes:
    http://eiveo.net:8080/webkeeper/

Demon Spawn

Does not work for me even though I have the latest Firefox. Need that webGl thing enabled but I can't find it anywhere. Guess they might have removed it. Shame though.

(For details I went to about:config but there is not a single instance of WebGL which I could enable/disable.

Anything DK related in a web browser = awesome

Keep up the good work, I'm really quite looking forward to this now
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"

I know it only works on some in-dev browsers, but till this thing is ready, everyone has updated to them. and THEN it is one of the first browsergames to support it. companies always look at what browsers are mostly used (ive seen that at work), still to many people using internet explorer, or an other outdated browser. A.. and for the ones of you who cant wait to dig.. google for minecraft :-D trust me, it wont disapoint you :-D
    Firefox: 4.0 Beta (latest beta10)