Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This doesn't represent DK in any way!

Imp
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: lunanoko

Thumbs down This doesn't represent DK in any way!

Ever since I read about this game on this forum I've been looking forward to its release. Now that I bought it and have been able to play it in the past few days I can say that I'm very disappointed.

I expected it to be DK-like. Not an exact copy ofcourse, but I was kinda expecting that I'd be building rooms, attracting creatures, etc. Instead, this game is just some kind of RPG in a dungeon. All you do is move your main character, add furniture to your dungeon, complete some lame quests, and most of all: you wait.

This game is so terribly slow it's not even fun to play it for more than two or three hours, because by that time you fell asleep, either because you're waiting for things to happen, or because the gameplay became very repetetive (just hack away with your Dungeon Lord). Also, your Trolls (imps) dig soo slow. I've literally waited for 20 minutes for them to dig like 10 blocks of earth.

This game is like The Sims meets Bad RPG. Every level you start with a dungeon (which is mostly cut out for you already) and then you place some furniture in it to satisfy heroes. Then you use your Dungeon Lord to kill them, you sacrifice some Gold or Soul Energy to your master and then the next mission starts.

This game sucks and at the moment I'm really fed up with the fact that I paid 40 euros for this... If you want your next DK game, you certainly shouldn't buy Dungeons!

Demon Spawn

Default Re: This doesn't represent DK in any way!

I already excepted that much. I'm just sticking with KeeperFX for my evil dungeon making needs.

Allow me to try to defend Dungeons here a little bit
    This doesn't represent DK in any way!
    Because it is no DK3 but a different game

I expected it to be DK-like
    That's your fault. The developers stated in almost every thread that they weren't making a DK-clone or ripoff or something else.

Not an exact copy of course, but I was kinda expecting that I'd be building rooms, attracting creatures, etc.
    You do get to build rooms, you attract heroes (instead of creatures) etc...

This game is so terribly slow it's not even fun to play
    With F3/F4 you can speed up things

the gameplay became very repetetive (just hack away with your Dungeon Lord)
    If you go on a "crazy kill murder spree" with your Dungeon Lord all the time, you won't earn enough Soul Energy (one of the game's ressources) to build anything/proceed in the game, which will make you a sitting duck for the stronger heroes and you can't build enough prestige objects to make your Lord stronger.

Every level you start with a dungeon (which is mostly cut out for you already)
    In the early levels, yes. Later on, space will become a problem and you have to carefully plan your dungeon layout

Nothing against your opinion, but I guess that you would've enjoyed Dungeons better if you weren't expecting a DK-like game. The Devs are already talking about releasing mod tools, so we can expect many great scenarios and campains from other players

Yes it is a total difrent game, but it was fair to expect to be like DK. The trailer looks so much like DK.

Imp
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: lunanoko

Quote Originally Posted by Silencium View Post
    That's your fault. The developers stated in almost every thread that they weren't making a DK-clone or ripoff or something else.
    Ok I didn't see that. I just followed some community forum threads so that's why I didn't see any developer messages as far as I can remember. So that's my fault indeed. Still, they stated they wanted to make a game that's a tribute to DK (which is also very clear because of all the DK references in the game).

You do get to build rooms, you attract heroes (instead of creatures) etc...
    I'm sorry, but what you do in Dungeons is something I don't call 'building rooms'. To build a library you place a pedestal in the centre of a 'room' and than its a library. Next to the library you get an armory, jail, and torture chamber (which you all build in the same way, place an item and its a room). I don't call that room building So in my opinion my statement that you just place furniture still stands

With F3/F4 you can speed up things
    I knew that, but still... But I guess it helps to some extend

If you go on a "crazy kill murder spree" with your Dungeon Lord all the time, you won't earn enough Soul Energy (one of the game's ressources) to build anything/proceed in the game, which will make you a sitting duck for the stronger heroes and you can't build enough prestige objects to make your Lord stronger.
    I object to that. When you have 4 opened Hero Gates there are so many heroes in your dungeon that you have to go on a killing spree because your monsters are waaaay too weak to take them on by themselves. In my experience there are two tasks you can use your Lord for. You either use him to go on a killing spree or you place him in front of your Dungeon Heart and use him as a guardian (which makes the game even more boring). Also, by going on a killing spree I was drowning in Soul Energy. Sure an individual Hero doesn't earn you much Soul Energy in that way, but if you're constantly killing heroes, all the little bits add up. Though I must make a side note that I always open all the Hero Gates

In the early levels, yes. Later on, space will become a problem and you have to carefully plan your dungeon layout
    I only played the first 5 or 6 missions in the campaign, so I can't comment on that. What bothers me the most is that the sandbox levels also contain already cut out paths and rooms. It's a sandbox mode, I want to dig my own dungeon!

Nothing against your opinion, but I guess that you would've enjoyed Dungeons better if you weren't expecting a DK-like game. The Devs are already talking about releasing mod tools, so we can expect many great scenarios and campains from other players
    And nothing against yours, of course I just don't think I would have enjoyed the game much more when I didn't expect a DK clone. It's just too slow and too repetetive for my likings. I'm curious for the mod tools though, who knows what a great game the community'll turn it into I mean, the engine is all good, it's just the gameplay that I dislike. But it all depends on how many freedom the mod tools allow. We'll see what the future brings us
    Last edited by Lunanoko; February 11th, 2011 at 17:27.

Beetle
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: Xfireisdeadlol

Its a diffrent game, your own fault you dissapointed yourself in this case.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

To be honest, if they so badly wanted people to think this game was not like DK, then they shouldn't of been stupid enough to make the intro odly similar to dungeon keeper I's.

It's their own fault that the fans hate this game.

hia new

Ive tried giving dungeons a fair chance and I knew it would be similar but yet very diffrent to dungeon keeper but then the whole reason why I bought it was because it looked like a spin off of dungeon keeper. I first saw it in stores but the idea of a dungeon keeper like game was enough to get me to buy it. Ive got to say overall I was disappointed with the game. I feel like im just babysitting heroes that enter and Id have perfered it if my dungeon would have done the work instead of my little lord guy having to go finnish them off before they leave with the soul energy and any gold they took. I would have also liked it better if there was a bit more to the monsters invading other dungeons instead of generic monster sits and waits for heroes to come. Ill just stick with DKI

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Max Hayman PSN ID: Ballwinkle XFIRE ID: elmaxaman Steam ID: ballwinkle

I played the beta, i didnt like it much.

Beetle
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: frontliner2

I really really don't like the gameplay, what a dissappointment. Glad I didn't buy it.