Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get the official editor to work with KeeperFX

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Default How to get the official editor to work with KeeperFX

Okay, after some tests, I have managed to find all the necessary files the level editor needs. It's not supposed to crash. If it does, please tell me.

To get the Official Level Editor to work along with KeeperFX, you must create a separate folder that contains the level editor and all the files needed for it to work. Before we start, ensure that you have the followings:

• The "Editor.exe" executable from the Dungeon Keeper Gold CD. If you don't have it, take this one which fixes a minor textual mistake: editor.zip
    • The files "GUIEDIT.TAB" and "GUIEDIT.DAT" from the Dungeon Keeper Gold CD. If you don't have it: guiedit.zip
    • The new "edittext.dat" file that avoids fast scrolling texts : edittext.rar
    • The new empty levels .LOF and .LIF files : emptylvls.rar
    • The original Dungeon Keeper game.

Before starting, it is important that you DON'T use the editor along with KeeperFX data. You must use the data of the original game in order to make the editor working properly. If you follow these instructions correctly below, you shouldn't have any problems. Otherwise, ask for help.

Step 1:
    Create a folder named "Editor" (without quotes).

Step 2: Inside that folder place the "Editor.exe" file and create the 3 following folders (names are important):
    Code:
    levels
    save
    sound
    Step 3: From the original game, add these files in the "Editor" folder:
    Code:
    Keeper.cfg
    Mss32.dll
    SmackW32.dll
    WSnd7R.dll
    Step 4: Edit the "Keeper.cfg" file using Notepad and ensure that the following lines are inside:
    Code:
    INSTALL_PATH=.\
    INSTALL_TYPE=MAX
    LANGUAGE=ENG
    Step 5: Copy the "data" folder from the original game and paste it into the "Editor" folder. If you take the folder from the CD of the game, do not select any language folders inside the "data" folder or delete them after you do the copy.

Step 6: Copy or extract the "GUIEDIT.DAT" and "GUIEDIT.TAB" files inside the "data" folder and extract the "edittext.rar" file there as well.

Step 7: Delete the following files inside the "Data" folder as they're unnecessary. You can don't bother with them and keep them if you wish. It will just take useless disk space:
    Code:
    ALPHA.DAT
    ALPHA.TAB
    BLOCK.TAB
    BLUEPALL.DAT
    BORD0-0.DAT
    BORD0-0.TAB
    BORD0-1.DAT
    BORD0-1.TAB
    CREAT1.TAB
    CRET0000.DAT
    DP_PREFS
    FONT0-0.DAT
    FONT0-0.TAB
    FONT0-1.DAT
    FONT0-1.TAB
    FRAC**.DAT
    FRAME*-*.DAT
    FRAME*-*.TAB
    FRONTEND.PAL
    FRONTEND.RAW
    GMAPBUG.DAT
    GMAPBUG.TAB
    HBUY0-0.DAT
    HBUY0-0.TAB
    HBUYSCRN.DAT
    HITPALL.DAT
    HUESHADE.TAB
    ICONS*-*.DAT
    ICONS*-*.TAB
    KSEFFECT.JTY
    LOFONT.DAT
    LOFONT.TAB
    MAIN.PAL
    MAP00000.ANM
    MAP00000.CUB
    MENUBLK1.DAT
    MENUBLK1.TAB
    POINTERS.DAT
    POINTERS.TAB
    PORT*-*.DAT
    PORT*-*.TAB
    ROOM*-*.DAT
    ROOM*-*.TAB
    SHADE.TAB
    SLABS.OBJ
    STAT0-0.DAT
    STAT0-0.TAB
    STATE.RST
    SWIPE1.DAT
    SWIPE1.TAB
    TICON0-0.DAT
    TICON0-0.TAB
    Step 8: Copy the "LData" folder from the original game and paste it into the "Editor" folder.

Step 9: Delete the following files inside the "LData" folder as they're unnecessary. You can don't bother with them and keep them if you wish. It will just take useless disk space:

Code:
    DKMAP**.PAL
    DKMAP**.RAW
    DKWIND**.DAT (excepted DKWIND00.DAT, keep this one)
    DKWIND00.LBM
    DKWIND17.RAW
    DOOR**.DAT
    DOOR**.TAB
    DRAG.SMK
    DTORTURE.FLC
    EMPTY
    FRONT.PAL
    LEVELS.TXT
    TORTURE.DAT
    TORTURE.FLC
    TORTURE.PAL
    TORTURE.RAW
    Step 10: Extract the "emptylvls.rar" file inside the "levels" folder.

Step 11: Copy the following files inside the "sound" folder:
    Code:
    ATMOS1.SBK
    ATMOS2.SBK
    BULLFROG.SBK
    SOUND.DAT
    SPEECH.DAT
    Step 12: Finally, right-click on the "Editor.exe" file and select "Properties". Click on the "Compatibility" tab and check the following options:

• Run in 256 colours.
    • Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution.
    • Disable visual themes.
    • Disable desktop composition.
    • Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

Click "Apply", then "OK".

Congratulations! The installation of the editor is done! Now, you can start creating levels by launching "Editor.exe". If, for some reason, the editor doesn't want to launch, try setting the compatibility to Windows 98SE and also try running the editor as an administrator.

If you wanna edit existing levels, you must copy them from the KeeperFX "levels" folder and paste them into the "levels" folder in your "Editor" folder. Then, either create a .LIF file along with your level to identify it and make it editable in the level editor (see editor's manual for more informations) or edit the .LOF file using Notepad to include it. You're free to include any levels you want. Once you're done, copy the levels back to KeeperFX.

However, beware: ensure that .LIF and .LOF files do not share the same level numbers inside or a crash may occur in the level editor.

Note that there's no speed limit to the level editor, making it running extremely fast.
    - DO NOT zoom in and out or you may be stuck with a maximum zoom and a minimum zoom. If you do the mistake, save your work and restart the level editor.
    - Use the map and the mini-map to move around your map. Avoid the edges of the screen and arrow keys as often as possible.
    - You can rotate, but press slightly on the key. Anyway, it's not really necessary. Use the plan.
    - When you wanna save or load a level, do not click on the arrow buttons to scroll the level list. Click on the round button instead and use the mouse to scroll it.
    - If the colors become messed up suddenly, save your work and restart the editor.

I don't think there are others things to mention. I'll edit my post if I find something. If you have any problems, just post below.

Have fun editing!
    Last edited by DragonsLover; July 22nd, 2013 at 05:25.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Default Re: How to get the official editor to work with KeeperFX

Thanks for the very thorough instructions Unfortunately I cannot seem to get the editor functioning with KeeperFX. It complained first of a missing DLL (which I have now rectified), but now when I launch the editor the screen flickers into a different resolution for a few seconds and then quits back to desktop. I was unable to locate the "emptylvls" rar file anywhere, could this be causing issues? It should probably also be noted I am running from a downloaded ISO file, as my original DK CD is missing presumed dead. I'm running a Lenovo laptop with Windows 7 and i3 processor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Gamer IDs

Which .dll file was missing? In step 3, these .dll files are supposed to be sufficient but it seems not.
    For the emptylvls.rar file, follow step 10. The download link should still work. If no lists are specified, then you may get an empty level list when you select "Load".
    It doesn't matter if you have a .ISO or real CD. You must simply ensure that all needed files are together in their correct folders on your hard drive. In fact, the editor should work without the CD.
    Make sure you use the original Dungeon Keeper data and NOT the KeeperFX data.
    Try to run the editor as an administrator.

D'oh, I completely missed the download link for the emptylvls file. Just retried the process from the top and it works fine now. Many, many thanks for this - would never have figured it out myself!

where can I find the configuration file on the original dungeon keeper cd. I've tried looking for it and it's not there. Please, help.

I followed your instructions but when I go to run the editor. the screen goes black for about a second then goes back to the desktop.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by darkkingkongman
    where can I find the configuration file on the original dungeon keeper cd. I've tried looking for it and it's not there. Please, help.
    You can find it in the directory where the original Dungeon Keeper is installed. If you don't have Dungeon Keeper installed, then create a new .txt file, put the lines as stated in step 4, save and rename the .txt file to Keeper.cfg. Then put it in the same folder where Editor.exe is.

Quote Originally Posted by darkkingkongman
    I followed your instructions but when I go to run the editor. the screen goes black for about a second then goes back to the desktop.
    What's your OS? If you have followed everything correctly, it "should" work, but it may happens that your computer won't be able to run it. Did you try the compatibility mode and stuff in step 12?

yes I even checked compatibility mode. I have a windows 7 64 bit operating system.

okay it nearly worked this time. but it just loads up the horned reaper screen and then brings up the disc loading screen with a white question mark on it.

I've done everything correctly what have I done wrong?