Thread: What do you think about this 3D engine

Demon Spawn

Default What do you think about this 3D engine

I just stumbled across a 3D engine with really impressive graphics for an open source project

Ignore the DShade, Deadlock and Boxen parts of the video but be sure to watch til the end, according to his other video named "Sponza Party" it shows 50 deferred lights, 100k particles + distortion, glare

Must be that good cause it's written in D
    http://h3.gd/code/nucleus/
    This guy wrote his Master's thesis about it and it seems to use an interesting new approach.

Default Re: What do you think about this 3D engine

Looks pretty, then again all engines do until you try to play a game with +100 enemies.
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you areā€¦"

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

http://h3.gd/devlog/?p=22 <- Reading that, you gotta wonder why he even bothers with D
    "The essence of religion: Fear God and obey God. The quintessence of spirituality: Love God and become another God." -- Sri Chinmoy

Demon Spawn

Cause it's an awesome language. Use it for some time, then go back to C++. That's like being thrown back to the stone age.
    And he proved that you can actually create huge, awesome projects with it.

I think there are several reasons for his particular indignation:
    • He's been in the community nearly since the beginnings where the compiler was completely buggy, development wasn't much community-driven and so on. So he's accumulated a lot of frustration over the years. Being one of the guys who fight forwardmost in inhospitable areas is always nasty.
      But the situation has been improving a lot lately imho!
    • He's one of the few guys who actually created huge projects pushing D's immature tool chain to its limits.
    • He has stuck with Windows. On Linux he could have avoided all the linker issues he describes since GNU ld is used there.
    • He belongs to a group of D2 haters and D1 doesn't really have a future.
    Last edited by Trass3r; February 23rd, 2011 at 23:51.

Demon Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by Trass3r View Post
    Cause it's an awesome language. Use it for some time, then go back to C++. That's like being thrown back to the stone age.
    And he proved that you can actually create huge, awesome projects with it.

I think there are several reasons for his particular indignation:
    • He's been in the community nearly since the beginnings where the compiler was completely buggy, development wasn't much community-driven and so on. So he's accumulated a lot of frustration over the years. Being one of the guys who fight forwardmost in inhospitable areas is always nasty.
      But the situation has been improving a lot lately imho!
    • He's one of the few guys who actually created huge projects pushing D's immature tool chain to its limits.
    • He has stuck with Windows. On Linux he could have avoided all the linker issues he describes since GNU ld is used there.
    • He belongs to a group of D2 haters and D1 doesn't really have a future.
    He hates D2? Which is? (Thinking of Diablo 2 but I'm certain that's wrong.)

Anyway, what's up with all the languages. I've heard of C, C+ and C++ and now D. Is there also an A B+ and a E- or what lol.
    *obviously not a programmer*

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Quote Originally Posted by Airandius View Post
    He hates D2? Which is? (Thinking of Diablo 2 but I'm certain that's wrong.)

Anyway, what's up with all the languages. I've heard of C, C+ and C++ and now D. Is there also an A B+ and a E- or what lol.
    *obviously not a programmer*
    D2 is version 2 of D, with new features and such.

And yeah pretty much, no B+, but there is B and E: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ming_languages
    "The essence of religion: Fear God and obey God. The quintessence of spirituality: Love God and become another God." -- Sri Chinmoy