Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Top 30 Games of All-Time

Default Re: Top 30 Games of All-Time

My favourite Game of all time is Dungeon Keeper 1 simply because I can play it over and over again and still be utterly entertained in my own little world.

Some other games that I play on a regular basis to this day are

Dungeon Keeper 2 (Still like it but not as much as the original)
    Age of Empires
    Banjo Kazooie
    Banjo Tooie
    Super Mario World (Snes)
    Super Mario 64
    Golden eye 64
    Killer Instinct
    Killer Instinct Gold
    Tekken 3-6 (Early ones are good but slow)
    Rampage (Sega Master system)
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Sega Master system)
    Mortal Kombat – any version any consol
    Super Mario Kart 64
    Duke Nukem 3d
    Croc
    Donkey Kong Country 1-3
    Donkey Kong 64.

I’ve always been a fan of the Nintendo 64, I like the controller and the game play.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Consoles Suck XFIRE ID: Searingflame2 Steam ID: Admortis

I'm surprised Shogun (1/2): Total War doesn't feature on that list =P

Quote Originally Posted by Searingflame2 View Post
    I'm surprised Shogun (1/2): Total War doesn't feature on that list =P
    I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of it.

Shogun

Unreal is the best game ever created and I don't care what anybody else says because they're wrong

Seriously, if you haven't, go play it :O

1. Nox
    2 - 4. Games by Bioware Before EA came along
    3 - 6. Games by Blizzard Before Merging with Vivendi
    7. FF6 (3 in Japan)
    8. Dungeon Keeper 2
    9. Oblivion
    10. Super Mario RPG Legend of the 7 Stars. (fuck yea)

I've only just seen this thread so get read for my top 10*!

1) Diablo II - probably spent more time playing this game than all the others on my list combined. So addictive and great whether it's single or multiplayer.
    2) Dungeon Keeper - unique. Can't beat its 90's charm, the immersive atmosphere, the brilliant creatures and heroes. Just such a good concept and very re-playable.
    3) Half-Life - amazing storyline and gameplay. Crow-barring head crab zombies.. it can't get any better!
    4) Age of Empires II - never a big fan of single player, but multiplayer with friends was brilliant.
    5) Warcarft III - fantastic multiplayer, used to love playing custom maps such as DotA and castle defence.
    6) Half-Life 2 - great storyline and at the time fantastic graphics. Ravenholm was f***ing intense!
    7) Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II - a lot of sentimental value, I remember me and my bro figuring out how to get LAN multiplayer working for the first time with this game. It was awesome.
    8) Red Alert - takes me back to my childhood. Used to love playing as the Soviets, mammoth tanks were gnarly mofos. Not such a big fan of RA2, never played RA3.
    9) Dungeon Keeper 2 - not as good as the original, but certainly had its moments and definitely a lot of sentimental value. My love of multiplayer DK2 led to the creation of Keeper Klan!

Shockingly DK isn't top of my list, it was initially but then I started writing about Diablo II and realised I had to switch them round. I know there's loads of games I've forgotten and will probably remember immediately after posting. I've deliberately left out console games because they're a world of their own, but quickly: Mario Kart 64, Golden Eye 64, Time Splitters 2, Time Splitters 1, Pro Evolution Soccer 3 (PS2), Star Wars Pod Racing (N64) - those are what to come to my mind without going back to NES and SNES.

*10th left blank because I'm sure I can come up with a better one than what's in my head at the moment, will update when it's revealed itself to my consciousness!

In no particular Order, here are the games I find myself going back to regularly. Forgive my indulgence since some of them are less well known, I'll write more about it.

1) Baldur's Gate II : great game, great customisability. Just needs new plots to refresh, and possibly some graphic updates

2) Dungeon Keeper 1 & Deeper Dungeons : that's why I'm here

3) Romance of Three Kingdoms 3 : this is a very very old game. but it is simply.. wooh. Great replayability value. The later versions beyond 3 had the Generals play too big of a role, and becoming more unpredictable with their spells and what not, making it less strategic except to build your kingdom's strategies around generals abilities and growth

4) The Sims 1 (with all Expansion Packs) : I should probably try out the sequels, I heard they're better. but still, its a great game.

5) Dark Reign 1 : almost unheard of, it was an amazing pioneer in AI customisability in a time when there were only RTS games like Red Alert I, and Warcraft II was just very new. You could set your units to
    - varying levels of Independence
    - set Patrols on complex routes (think 6-8 points) and opt whether they patrol to-and-fro or circular
    - unlimited Grouping Size
    - priorities in engaging enemy : Search and Destroy (use with high independence and groups and they'll start wandering around), Pursue to a certain Radius, Immobile Guarding functions, and (I think there was) setting Retreat Points
    - Terrain affected various types of unit passing by. eg. Infantry and Walkers can cross almost any land terrain including Ridges, but Tanks cannot. Hover infantry and vehicles (which may include special tanks) can cross all sorts of water but not ridges with high differences, Air Units could fly over all, etc.
    - The special buildings and units were nothing short of amazing, with the "ultimate" units of (cheaper) Shockwave Tanks self-destructing to send out a ground based tsunami of damage, or (very expensive) Rift Creating Towers that could summon up Black Holes ANYWHERE on the Battlefield (you get a small warning when a small swirling black thing shows up and shortly later it expands) and would take time to recharge.
    Unfortunately, the Storyline Sucked hugely and the Map Editor was difficult, making it having little or no replay value.

6) Starcraft / Brood War : Much later than Dark Reign, Starcraft took many of the best things of DR and combined with an absolutely Top-Notch Storyline & Voicing, and an intriguingly well balanced 3 sides considering that they were all so different. A totally amazing game, it came with a great Editor especially Script Wise, that could let you do literally almost anything, again only subject to a certain max limit of Script Events etc.

7) Diablo I & II with Expansion : Both were great games on their own. Diablo I was almost revolutionary, and had a great creepy feel to it throughout the whole game and very good cinematics. Diablo II lost a lot of ambience but in return gave a "world exploration" feel, combined with a hugely better storyline, great cinematics, extremely unique Classes and multiplayer modes. Both games gave random map generation as well, pretty awesome.

8) World of Warcraft : it was great when it came out with very interesting classes (although not well balanced initially) and went into truly awesome with amazing panoramas, various expansions in interactivity and questlines by TBC / WotLK. Sadly, I've no time to keep up with Raiding anymore, making further gaming pointless.

9) Doom I & II (with all expansions) : A pioneer FPS shooter with a huge variety of monsters and ingenius (if not utterly devilish) level design. It is really one game, since Doom II is almost the same as Doom I, just with more monsters and more levels. From the original FPS Wolfenstein 3D to various other gimmicky 3D shooters since, Doom broke through to set the tone for turning FPS shooters into more realistic, gory and adult graphics, excellent Multiplayer Gameplay, and gave such a good illusion of "3D" (Doom maps weren't really 3D) that it set the stage for predecessors in such "realistic" graphics and true 3D maps, like Duke Nukem 3D, and the line which became possibly the most hallmark games of the FPS genre - Quake, followed by Half-Life / Counterstrike and Unreal. Doom was also the first FPS to have a great following in Graphics editing, Map Editing and Hacking, such that many later FPS games eventually had released Map Editors.

10) Counterstrike - Counterstrike beats Half-life simply because of its great Multiplayer, which is much better than Half-Life's multiplayer.

11) Heroes of Might & Magic 2 : I've actually only played 2 and 3. But what can I say? So simple, so elegant, yet so intriguing. And some of the expansion Campaigns really made me sweat and rethink my whole game. The maps had potential to be very beautiful, I may have a map of Ansalon/Krynn (Dragonlance world) that I did for HOMM 2. HOMM 3 was less liked by me, but that's a personal taste. Semi-3D graphics in a non-3D environment doesn't do it for me.

12) Master of Orion 2 : Never played 1, but this was unique concept, astounding gameplay. My only grouse was that it was too easy once you knew what to research and if you used diplomacy and race customisability to your advantage. I loved the Space ship fights and the strategy involved in keeping out of their front-arc (usually combined with Boarding to seize their Tech)

13) Carmaggedon : Wow someone else actually posted about it here! But I guess this is a Keeper's forum after all What can I say, I love Stadiums!

14) Worms 1 & 2 : amazing, just amazing. So easy to customise too. Amazing. a campaign might have been good, but that might have spoiled the easygoing feel of the game.

15) Age of Empires 2 : I never played 1, but this was really good...

16) Warcraft 1,2,3 : again, pioneer RTS with great gameplay, but most of all a very engaging storyline. Very customisable as well. Warcraft 3 really broke out with the introduction of Heroes and the much faster build pace (or maybe cuz I was picking up Multiplayer)

17) Civilisation II : was a good game for its time.

18) Magic the Gathering : Shandalar : I never played the cardgame itself, but the computer game was fun. I still play it occasionally when I'm bored, or I customise a deck and play.

19) Vampire the Masquerade : Redemption : I love the atmosphere of the game, and the unique factor of a storyline that spans across 2 different ages, from the classic Medieval / Fantasy with Sword & Shield in Europe setting to crossing over to the modern Guns, Rifles, Rocket Launchers etc in New York. It doesn't sound like it makes sense, but it really does The story is nice but too draggy / wordy at times. The Levels are customisable, and the Stats definitely. Unfortunately the Events are a fair pain to script, making alternate storylines all but impossible to set up for yourself and others (unless you play as a "Live" storyteller). I probably should try the sequel...

Can't think of anymore. Have played other games but they don't make this sort of impression.
    Dungeon Keeper 1 / Deeper Dungeons Fan
    No intention to play DK2

I'm Chinese, so please try and spell better than me...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Consoles Suck XFIRE ID: Searingflame2 Steam ID: Admortis

Quote Originally Posted by Zyraen View Post

13) Carmaggedon : Wow someone else actually posted about it here! But I guess this is a Keeper's forum after all What can I say, I love Stadiums!
    I do hope you've heard that they're making another one? Heart-warming news to see a great oldie is being revived and tended to by its original loving team.

http://www.carmageddon.com/news/carmageddons-come-home

In order of most play-throughs &/or love (love values are approximate)
    Grim Fandango [Easily #1]
    Monkey Island(s).
    Diablo & Diablo 2 (+ LoD)
    Psychonauts
    Starcraft 1 & 2 (combined)
    Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2
    Mario Franchise (anything pre-n64).
    Portal 2 (Portal 1 for the idea, portal 2 for improved storytelling & gameplay)
    Mario Tennis (N64)
    Half-Life, Half-Life 2
    Hidden:Source (HL2 Mod)
    Braid & Limbo (combined because they're the same basic game).
    Deus Ex
    KoToR
    Worms: Armageddon
    Dance Dance Revolution (Arcade)
    Warcraft 3: TFT (mostly customs)
    Heavy Rain (It's pushing the industry in the right direction)
    Socom 2 (PS2 -- I played this game way too much).
    Team Fortress 2
    Amnesia: Dark Descent
    Fable 2
    Shogun: Total War (probably deserves to be higher as I loved this game, but the campaign always crashed on me)
    Age of Empires II

That's the shortlist off the top of my head, I'm positive I have neglected some games that are very dear to my heart. Oh well.

Fun thread!

Grim Fandango! I remember playing the demo from PC Gamer when it came out. It's absolute mystery why I didn't buy the full game, I'll have to rectify this after my exams.

Also, how could I forget Worms! Armageddon was sick, but my heart lies with Reinforcements. I have Worms 3D for PS2, always a good crack with mates round.