Thread: Attack Dog

Beetle
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: frontliner2

Default Attack Dog

Name: Attack Dog

Stats:
    Health: Moderate
    Attack: Low-Moderate (in between) Attack should be about as powerful as the attack of a Spider in DK1.
    Defense: Moderate
    Armor: Low
    Accuracy: Moderate
    Speed: Moderate-High
    Dexterity: Moderate
    Intelligence: Low
    Wage: Low (like a Fly)

Skills:
    Level 1: Attack
    Level 4: Speed
    Level 7: * Scent
    Level 10: ** Howl

* Scent: Always sniffs out concealed enemies, dispelling it's conceal spell and allowing party members and it's bloodthirsty self to attack the enemy. - 8 second cooldown.

** Howl: Attracts all Attack Dogs under it's level in a 4 tile radius and forcing those attracted to attack the last know target of the Howling Attack Dog. Displays an animation with it's head up in the air standing proud on it's front legs. During this animation the Attack Dog will not have attack turns (:is stunned). - 32 second cooldown

Special creature attributes:

Jaw Lock: When the Attack Dog's health is below 10% it will bite and hang on to a unit harming and slowing it. The attack dog will now not longer be a targeted by enemies and dies as soon as he clings on to the juicy thighs (or flaps) of it's victim. Attack Dog's last desperate attempt to kill it's enemy left him hanging with it's jaw's locked in it's enemies flesh... The 'animation' for this should last 5 seconds and during this time it's victim's movement speed is reduced to 33%. After 5 seconds the Attack Dog let's go of it's victim and it's corpse is left on the dungeon floor. Such loyalty. Such dedication. A dog is truly a man's best friend.
    Vicious: When an Attack Dog is so unhappy that any other creature would desert it's commander, the Attack Dog will just go to the lair and lose health. It will not eat. When it's health is reduced to 0 it will be resurrected as a Hell Hound but 1 level lower (much like a Vampire in DK1) and with only 50% health If the Attack Dog is level 1 it will still resurrect as a Hell Hound level 1 but only with only 10% health as a 'penalty'.

Information:
    Attack Dogs are bred by Heroes specifically as a companion and to help it's master to explore dungeons and be alert to threats whilst instantly attacking any enemy it spots without stopping. He will fight as long as there are enemies near and will never flee, never. It will always die fighting until either he or it's enemy is dead.

Purpose:
    Attack Dogs are excellent and desired protection for the more frail Heroes such as Archers and Thieves. They will detect enemies and always protect his human companions, not allowing his masters to be harmed without dieing first. In a scary dungeon it is nice to have such loyal, loving companions to keep you warm. Sleeping on a dungeon tile, trying to stay warm and protected during your expeditions to Hell...

Behavior in Dungeon:
    Sleeps, eats and accompanies humans. It is too dumb to decide anything else for themselves so will not Train unless instructed. If not told to Train it will walk around in your dungeon from human to human spending around 20 seconds around them. Attack Dogs also like to accompany Attack Dogs are strangely attracted to Troll's humanoid traits and peaceful nature.

Jobs:
    Protect (Accompany Humanoids or Trolls)

Behavior in OverWorld:
    Plays with other Attack Dogs gaining very little experience to a max level of 3. Gaining XP takes a very long time to level about 5 minutes for level 2&3 each. After level 3 experience is no longer gained by playing with other Attack Dogs.

Obtainable By:
    Hero side only, conversion*

* Conversion is almost instant but the functioning and happiness of the Attack Dog all relies on the presence of Humans or Trolls in your army. When becoming unhappy because there are no companions, a gentle pickup by the player will make the dog feel better.
    For Hero players to attract through a 'Portal' the following rooms are required:
    Barracks: 1 tiles
    Guard Post: 9 tiles (!)

Style:
    All in melee attack. Will not stop at anything to kill of any threat.to it's master. Will use Jaw Lock on death if needed to protect it's master.

Hang Out Group:
    - Humans
    - Trolls
    - Attack Dogs

Hates:
    - Lack of company: If Attack Dog has no Humans or Trolls to accompany it will slowly become unhappy. If a Keeper (or Hero 'Commander') has no Humans or Trolls in his army may pick the creature up to restore it's happiness quickly (holding for 2/3 seconds will restore 100%).
    - Research - Attack Dogs can't read cannot contribute to Research.
    - Workshop - Attack Dogs have no fingers, cannot contribute to production.
    - Hellhounds are Lair Enemies

Loves:
    Humans
    Trolls
    Hand of Evil (or Hand of Hero)
    Food

Lair: Dog basket, not much to it

Appearance: Something like this? Btw I didn't draw this, found it on the webs but gives some impression on how I envision it. Should be a dog bred in between a Bull Mastiff and a Rottweiler and fairly large.

How Introduced:
    - Via Hero Parties or summoned through the 'Portal' of a Hero Commanding when room requirements are met.

Attracted by:
    Guardpost (9 tiles)
    Barracks (1 tile)
    Humans
    Trolls
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; March 23rd, 2011 at 20:54. Reason: creature is 'labeled' as a neutral creature thread in the suggestions forum. Up untill now I did not see any setting to chang

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Oggrr

Default Re: [hero] Attack Dog

I like this very much! Perhaps it should have a "master" also? But yea, the heroes are it's master, but I was perhaps thinking a special master? That could be accompanied by 1-2 of these dogs. Ofc they should be able to walk with other heroes.

Beetle
    Gamer IDs

It will always tend to stay near Humans and Trolls. Preferred companion is the Thieve. Making it have a master assigned to it gives it more or less the role of a pet/summon, this is not intended by me actually. A standalone unit who is attracted to Humans and Trolls and Thieves above all others.

I like the concept of a companion to the goodly Heroes with a Lassie-like devotion (well, supposed...). But at the same time it can be almost considered a ''good'' version clone to the Hell Hound in essence minus some stuff.

Ps: prefix fixed.
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; March 23rd, 2011 at 20:56.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Attack: Low-Moderate (in between) Attack should be about as powerful as the attack of a Spider in DK1.
    Set it to "Below Average", as that would be inbetween those two stats.

Wage: Low (like a Fly)
    The Fly's wage in DK1 was 5 gold, so you should set that to Very Low.

* Scent: Always sniffs out concealed enemies, dispelling it's conceal spell and allowing party members and it's bloodthirsty self to attack the enemy. - 8 second cooldown.
    You should replace this with Sight because that's pretty much the same thing.

** Howl: Attracts all Attack Dogs under it's level in a 4 tile radius and forcing those attracted to attack the last know target of the Howling Attack Dog. Displays an animation with it's head up in the air standing proud on it's front legs. During this animation the Attack Dog will not have attack turns (:is stunned). - 32 second cooldown
    I don't think this is a very good idea. It will force the other Attack Dogs to abbandon their previous targets in order to attack one target. It will create confusion needlessly in the battles and also the Player may have already organized certain targets for the other Attack Dogs to focus on, so this skill might get annoying in those situations.

Jaw Lock: When the Attack Dog's health is below 10% it will bite and hang on to a unit harming and slowing it. The attack dog will now not longer be a targeted by enemies and dies as soon as he clings on to the juicy thighs (or flaps) of it's victim. Attack Dog's last desperate attempt to kill it's enemy left him hanging with it's jaw's locked in it's enemies flesh... The 'animation' for this should last 5 seconds and during this time it's victim's movement speed is reduced to 33%. After 5 seconds the Attack Dog let's go of it's victim and it's corpse is left on the dungeon floor. Such loyalty. Such dedication. A dog is truly a man's best friend.
    It basically will commit suicide before I have a chance to save it, right? Sounds frustrating. And it doesn't look like it'll do much damage so I find it to be a wasted effort.

Vicious: When an Attack Dog is so unhappy that any other creature would desert it's commander, the Attack Dog will just go to the lair and lose health. It will not eat. When it's health is reduced to 0 it will be resurrected as a Hell Hound but 1 level lower (much like a Vampire in DK1) and with only 50% health If the Attack Dog is level 1 it will still resurrect as a Hell Hound level 1 but only with only 10% health as a 'penalty'.
    Okay, why is the Attack Dog turning into a Hell Hound? Not only is it growing a second head, but it also is turning from a Hero to a Creature. Also, I think the Hell Hound is a bit of an upgrade from the Attack Guard, based on stats and abilities + less problems, which would only encourage the Player to slap their Attack Guard until it turns into a Hell Hound.

Attack Dogs also like to accompany Attack Dogs are strangely attracted to Troll's humanoid traits and peaceful nature.
    Trolls have a peaceful nature...

So very peaceful...

Behavior in OverWorld:
    Plays with other Attack Dogs gaining very little experience to a max level of 3. Gaining XP takes a very long time to level about 5 minutes for level 2&3 each. After level 3 experience is no longer gained by playing with other Attack Dogs.
    Note that Overworld will not be featured.

- Hellhounds are Lair Enemies
    Okay, first off, it will turn into its own Lair Enemy?

Second, Hell Hounds already have a Lair Enemy.

*image*
    They look too vicious to be on the Hero Side.

Attracted by:
    Guardpost (9 tiles)
    Barracks (1 tile)
    Humans
    Trolls
    So it is fairly difficult to get an Attack Dog because they're only available on the Hero Side, and you need a Troll so the Heroes must convert a Troll. Got it.

Other Notes:

I don't think the Attack Dog would work very well. I don't think it is the most creative thing as all it really is is a counterpart to the Hell Hound. I also think the Hero side should have humanoid Heroes and nothing but humanoid Heroes. No birds or dogs allowed.

Therefore I don't think there is really a good way to improve the suggestion, as I feel the concept idea itself isn't the best out there.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Beetle
    Gamer IDs

Haha, I get your points

Oh well at least I had some fun theorycrafting

So it is fairly difficult to get an Attack Dog because they're only available on the Hero Side, and you need a Troll so the Heroes must convert a Troll. Got it.
    Well I actually meant Humans OR Trolls.

Well I actually meant Humans OR Trolls.
    You should probably clarify that bit by saying "Humans and/or Trolls" in one line.

Tesonu is napping!

I like this idea. Dogs are man's best friend so it makes sense to me.

Scent is a brilliant ability; not only allowing others to see the enemy but also cancelling it's spell making it harder for the enemy to escape. Maybe even refreshing the cooldown.

Howl also sounds good; it could mark all enemies that have 10-15% HP left so that other dogs/creatures/heroes will focus targets affected to get the kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    They look too vicious to be on the Hero Side.
    Yes heroes should not have anything remotely awesome so it could be a poodle or a chihuahua.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    Therefore I don't think there is really a good way to improve the suggestion, as I feel the concept idea itself isn't the best out there.
    Well, it could be a side creature that comes with a Beastmaster, who could be a tank-like hero that controls 1 to 3 dogs depending on level. Then scent could be a passive ability for the dogs and the beastmaster can use a whistle to make the dogs attack certain targets that have low HP (like the Howl ability).

Quote Originally Posted by Brundfrussus View Post
    Yes heroes should not have anything remotely awesome so it could be a poodle or a chihuahua.
    There are other types of dogs that don't look overly evil you know

Quote Originally Posted by Brundfrussus View Post
    Well, it could be a side creature that comes with a Beastmaster, who could be a tank-like hero that controls 1 to 3 dogs depending on level. Then scent could be a passive ability for the dogs and the beastmaster can use a whistle to make the dogs attack certain targets that have low HP (like the Howl ability).
    A Suggestion that relies on another Suggestion usually has a lower chance of making it in, especially if the suggestion it relies on doesn't exist yet. Besides I explained my point on why I don't think it is the best concept idea.

Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Daharka Jones

Talking Re: [hero] Attack Dog

How about that. These dogs are not vicious looking but they are excellent guard dogs and used by most police all around the world. They are great for sniffing out hidden crap and can look pretty nasty when angry.

I had an idea for the dog unit the other week, thing is it was a unit but more a hero only trap of sorts. No point explaining, I'd only bore.

As it is I think the dogs should have a kennel and usually be found outside hero dungeons acting as guards, just as a Dark Elf would in a Keeper dungeon.
    Ofcourse they can have a Lair, but the kennel could be their hero guard post and from it they will keep watch over whatever section of the map they have been situated within.

All in al, I love this idea.