Thread: Research Speculations

Default Research Speculations

Hello ladies and gentlemen

I am new to this forum but I'm very excited to see how the game goes and definitely want to join the team. I've read a lot of posts here but want to read more about the planned gameplay. I was doing some speculations regarding the library and how much use it will have;

Seeing as how most people like DK1 more than DK2, I was wondering how research will be implemented. I am mostly thinking about this multiplayer-vice, and I hope to see a very competitive multiplayer.

Will the Dungeon Keeper be required to research all spells and/or rooms or will some of them be available right away?
    Will spells be upgradable like in DK2?

Will the Dungeon Keeper be required to research traps?

Being forced to research everything, only starting out with the basic rooms (treasury, lair, hatchery, training room, library) adds a lot to the competitive side of the game whereas keepers will have the choice to either tech to a higher tier of creatures and take the risk of being annihilated by hordes of tier 1 creatures OR play it safe and get some tier 1 creatures and slowly tech-ing up.

Before I start spamming out more ideas I want to see what you have achieved so far.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

Default Re: Research Speculations

We have a tech tree idea in the works, and yes you have to research everything during multiplayer. The tech tree pretty much allows one to specialize and obtain more spells and the sort from certain fields. The tech tree is our answer to upgradable spells.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

I generally see just as many excited DK2 fans as I see DK1 fans. It may be off topic, but some of us prefer DK2.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Beetle
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: frontliner2

i think that Dk1 mechanics should be more important than the Dk2's :P

And.... I AM NOT BIASED

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

DK1 focused more on gameplay and game logic, and turned out more balanced in most areas, and had worked out the Creatures better. DK2 focused more on story, and had some realistic logic going on in a lot of areas, focusing more on concept ideas but suffered from terrible balance, partly due to these concept ideas. Creatures are more personality-less, uncreative, and many were outclassed by other units due to so many have similar functions.

DK1 and DK2 both are far apart. DK2 does serve as a good example when it comes to avoiding some mistakes WftO could possibly make though, granted people realize the mistakes first.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!