Thread: UDK questions for the WftO devs

Default UDK questions for the WftO devs

Hey. I want to start by saying that I'm a huge DK fan and I respect you guys for doing this. I saw you are using UDK for WftO. Me and my brother started working on a game that takes place in a maze-like dungeon, similar to DK. I've started working in XNA but I'm seriously considering UDK, so I have some questions:

1. can you generate the maps at runtime? maybe some sort of script, or text file that describes the map grid, could you use that to make the level? Can you generate tiled maps at all? I wouldn't want to create a whole level in Blender.
    2. i have no UDK experience. how difficult is it to move/rotate some models around the map.
    3. what are some parts or aspects of DK that you had trouble with while bringing to UDK

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to playing some WftO

Default Re: UDK questions for the WftO devs

nobody wanna help a fellow dk fan create something similar to dk?

you could ask these questions for the next podcast with the developers.

Good questions, and indeed, they would be excellent questions for a podcats. I'll try and answer what I can based on my current knowledge, but keep in mind I might not have all or the latest information.

1. It is very much a hope we will be able to generate maps at runtime, but this is not a certainty at this point in time. The coders are looking into ways tomake this happen, but it's bending UDK in a way it doesn't like much. UDK is, by design, not based on a strictly tiled layout. In other words, jury is still out on that one.

2. UDK is pretty easy. If you're used to blender, it'lll take a little getting used to; UDK's controls are closer to a game then they are to other 3d applications. But moving stuff around and rotating some static meshes shouldn't take you more then 10 minutes to get used to.

3. This you'll end up hearing about in the podcast. The coders are the one facing the most challanges and having to do the most mental gymnastics. As someone working on 3d assets and tilesets, as long as it's a model, udk will take care of it, so I got off easy.

Hopes that answers something. Sorry I couldnt give more detailed information, but a lot of the work is still very much ongoing.