Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound bugs, training hating Imps, and suggestions.

Default Sound bugs, training hating Imps, and suggestions.

First: Thank you, Mefistotelis. You've worked Hella hard on this and it shows. DK has been modernized significantly since you began your project, and you always listen and respond to people in a friendly manner. Even when they bring up thing counts array. <_<

I haven't played KeeperFX since the .36 days, more or less, so I don't know when the following issues started. Hell, a couple might have always been there and I'm noticing them only now. The first two may be related to my hardware, I'm not sure.

1: Imps will stop training when they gain a level.

2: The "Water drip" sound only plays halfway.

3: The "claim tile" sound studders halfway through playing. This is somewhat random, but seems to occur most often when the imp is right on the edge of the game view.

4: Another somewhat randomly occurring issue: Sometimes, the Dungeon Heart's background sound will continue to play even though the Dungeon Heart itself is out of view. It requires getting a significant distance away from the heart or entering the map view to stop the sound.

5: Some other sounds play...strangely. For instance, when a chicken is near, but not on, the edge of the game view I can smack it and its death noise will come out the wrong speaker. In other words, I smack it near the left side of the screen and the noise will play from the right speaker.

Those are for the most part, admittedly, minor issues. If the major ones have been dealt with, though, might as well polish off the little ones. Now, onto the fun stuff: Suggestions! These fit into the "X" of KeeperFX...

1: Add scroll wheel functionality. In modern games you can use the middle scroll wheel of your mouse to zoom the view in and out.

2: Autosaves! Say, reserve the bottom two save slots for saves that are automatically generated every x number of minutes. Not sure if this can be added cleanly. All action is stopped when normal saves are made, and I'm not sure people want the game to suddenly pause for a couple seconds while the game saves.

Maybe a scripted save reminder message, instead?

3: Allow people to lay down more than one tile at a time when building rooms, like in DK2.

4: Reduce frequency of the "You need a treasure room" type messages.

And...that's all I got. Oh well.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Edit: I've found more serious AI issues. Attached to this post are 2 saves. One shows a Knight going around in circles instead of beating down the door. The other shows a mistress unable to hit anything with her spells.

save.zip
    Last edited by Mister Giggles; May 8th, 2011 at 07:36.

Default Re: Sound bugs, training hating Imps, and suggestions.

i'd just like to add one hm bug?

Ok, i'm using 0.39 KFX and i set 1600x900 as the default in-game resolution. When the game starts i press alt+r and the screen switches into 1600x900. All is ok... But the problem is that i can not zoom out (crtl+up down) very far. In original DK i could zoom-out much further than i can in KFX. And also if i zoom in the screen goes black - nothing gets drawn. Why this zooming problem?

And oh, another annoying thing is that blocks disappear too fast as seen here (marked with blue arrow). Is this a known problem?

I fixed the problem with imps stopping their training; will take a look at other issues too.

Sound problems aren't that easy to solve, as sound system isn't much rewritten.

Blocks disappear because you've zoomed out too far, and static array or elements to be rendered is full. This also means I should restrict the zooming range even more. For now, I will leave this as it is.
    Last edited by mefistotelis; May 8th, 2011 at 15:59.

hm, couldn't you 'simply' resize the array?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Yup, I got problems with sounds too. It stutters, especially through possess mode.

But there's something I have noticed since version 0.38 and I'm rather surprised that nobody else noticed it before... Perhaps did I miss something?... Anyway, here's the thing: creatures aren't affected by lights. If they walk near light sources, they don't become brighter and if they walk into the shadows, they're glowing... Something should really be done with lighting as it affects the atmosphere of the game.

And dkdd, the game isn't mean to be played into big resolutions. I have 1600 x 900 resolution as well, but I still play in 640 x 480 since it respects a good normal classical resolution. The game won't become "more beautiful" in 1600 x 900, it's just that the menu, the icons and the message box will be smaller, like in your screenshot. Well, it's my opinion.
    Last edited by DragonsLover; May 9th, 2011 at 04:30.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Were creatures ever affected by lights?

I play in higher resolutions because my monitor has trouble displaying the standard resolutions, otherwise I'd stick to 640x480 myself.

I found another AI bug, but didn't remember a save this time: An Imp got stuck in a corner and went around in circles like a dork. Also encountering problems with Imps dropping what they're doing, like digging tunnels, to go do something else across the map, then coming back to dig out a square, then going to do something else on the other side of the map. I can't remember for the life of me if this is how they originally worked (Broken), or if something broke in KeeperFX.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    And dkdd, the game isn't mean to be played into big resolutions. I have 1600 x 900 resolution as well, but I still play in 640 x 480 since it respects a good normal classical resolution. The game won't become "more beautiful" in 1600 x 900, it's just that the menu, the icons and the message box will be smaller, like in your screenshot. Well, it's my opinion.
    hehe i know that it will not make the game look nicer (texture-wise) but the geometry will be 'sharper'! And also 640x480 on widescreen 24' LCD looks kinda blurry...

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Giggles
    Were creatures ever affected by lights?
    I hope you're kidding? Of course they were!

I play in higher resolutions because my monitor has trouble displaying the standard resolutions, otherwise I'd stick to 640x480 myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkdd
    hehe i know that it will not make the game look nicer (texture-wise) but the geometry will be 'sharper'! And also 640x480 on widescreen 24' LCD looks kinda blurry...
    But, have you tried if your monitor can handle 4x3 resolution? On mine, I have a simple button that can switch between 16x9 and 4x3 by resizing the screen. So nice! That way, in 640x480, it's not blurry at all.

I found another AI bug, but didn't remember a save this time: An Imp got stuck in a corner and went around in circles like a dork.
    I also got this bug more than once in earlier versions, but it happens rarely. In fact, it may happens to other creatures as well. I once saw a fairy that spinned near the hero dungeon heart flame emitter. I'm don't remember if it happened into the original game as well... Probably not.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Monitor's controls are broken. Lower resolutions aren't fully displayed, thus making it hard to see information.

Also, I think the short attention span of imps will be fixed with the training bug fix. From what I've seen, imps literally only see the current task they're doing and change to something else immediately afterwards.

Another suggestions Change pathfinding to prioritize the REAL closest room for a task instead of the one closest by TILES. For instance, an Imp is dragging a prisoner to a prison. The closest is 5 tiles away, however in order to get to it the Imp has to go through a giant maze, whereas the real closest prison is in the next room, 6 tiles away.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: demon280386 Steam ID: DemonFTW

i can tell in the original dk imps ran around like dorks, alot, i just usually smack them, and they stop it, but if it could be prevented, it would be nice. i found out yesterday that the lvl 3 imps and above run out of speed, before its recharged, that way, they cant put on more speed, and have to wait 2 secs before they can put it back on, and when they start diggin short after they run out, they look like lvl 1 imps diggin, i hope its a easy fix, that we maybe can do ourselves