Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hypersensitive creatures are crap.

Default Hypersensitive creatures are crap.

We've all encountered it. You've converted a knight, but then you get the message: A skeleton has become upset because it's in the company of creatures it hates.

A skeleton. A literally mindless pile of bones. Getting mad.

Of course, since they don't sleep, or gamble, or anything else that affects happiness, they stay mad unless you use a Make Creatures Happy special. Mad forever. A FREAKING SKELETON.

Of course, the Knight doesn't just make skeletons mad. They make everything mad. A single knight among a veritable hoard of baddies eventually drives them all into murderous rage. Nevermind the Knight will gleefully kill just as much as a Dark Angel. Nope, can't have logic kick in. It's not just Knights, though. It's every hero. And it's not limited to the ridiculously broad, omni-present creature hatreds.

Bile Demons are so slow that when they get hungry and want their pay, you better guide them by the FREAKING HAND (No pun intended) or they're getting angry. And then will spend 5 minutes crawling their butts to the bloody Portal.

And who hasn't encountered the Dark Mistress so busy with torture that she skips payday, gets hungry, and never makes a lair? Five minutes goes by, suddenly she's mad. She'll only then get off her torture rack and head to the portal...

Fairies. I hate Fairies. All Fairies are skeletonized. They'll gleefully flutter off to the forlorn alcoves of your domain, get hungry, and slowly flutter back. They'll get mad before they get back, given how far they flew. Through a portal they go. Fireflies are just as bad, I should mention, but you hardly see them in game. Fairies, though, Fairies are everywhere.

Personally, this is the biggest flaw with the game. It makes it nigh impossible to have a huge dungeon with a wide variety of creatures (As in the first), and explains why most campaign levels revolve around smaller dungeons. You'll notice the anger problems most in level 20, where you can make an absolutely huge dungeon with many converted heroes. My Pet Dungeons also have this problem.

I managed to encounter the Knight making everyone angry problem on level 20 a few minutes ago and it managed to spiral out of the control to the point skeletons WERE REBELLING. The game is now uninstalled, and when, eventually, I decide to play the game again I will add a special trigger to EVERY. SINGLE. LEVEL. that disables Creature Moods so I don't encounter this crap basket again.

Note, this wasn't designed as a topic of discussion. This was meant as an anger filled rant to a broken game mechanic. Thank you all.

Default Re: Hypersensitive creatures are crap.

sob sob sniff sob.

may the powah of Editor save your misery
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Smile Re: Hypersensitive creatures are crap.

In the editor you can increase the time when they get upset and mad. Also you can decrease the amount of dissatisfaction per thick. In the game itself you can build a hatchery on the front-line, that would solve 1 problem
    When a creature is upset due no food and pay just give it 1 chicken and drop him in the treasury.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Cut DK2 some slack. Who cares about all the god damn crap and *Insert alot of swearing* is in there? Remember the most important thing.

It was made by EA.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

I'm hearing a lot of that, and yes EA is shit and ruins a lot of games. But surely it is the distributor Bullfrog still made the actual game. EA just slaps on a price and puts it in stores.
    I DLed a demo of DK1 and that too was distributed by EA. I'm not defending EA, as they recently leaned on DICE and ruined what was set to be a quite promising shooter F2P shooter

Do you know something I don't?

DK 2 is great game and it doesn't deserve to be justified by "It was made by EA." It was made by the same people and if you ask me it is still a rightful heir to DK1.
    Last edited by MeinCookie; December 20th, 2009 at 04:23.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex
    It was made by EA.
    *Sigh* Don't misunderstand! Dungeon Keeper 2 was made by the remaining guys of Bullfrog team. Like MeinCookie said, EA is the distributor, the publisher. In video game industries, every game must be made in a certain amount of time. Bullfrog did all their best to make something good. Perhaps the restrictions of EA were too severe, who knows?

But anyway, I agree with you Mr. Giggles. There are some elements in DK2 that somewhat ruin the game a bit. But at least, it is possible to alter the data to avoid that and make some kind of unofficial patch, like I'm doing for DK1. Perhaps I could make a similar unofficial patch for DK2 as well, but there are so much stuffs and values comparing to the first one.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

While it's true EA wassen't the direct producer of DK2, it certainly was the main contributing factor that caused the downfall of the DK series and to a greater extend, Bullfrog.

They should have added infighting in DK2. The reasons? Well, look at the first post, pretty sums up everything.
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; December 20th, 2009 at 05:50.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Hapuga,

Indeed.

Stiekel,

Bah. It's easier to just disable their moods altogether. In the original it's not particularly a problem anyway...except for Horned Reapers.

Metal Gear Rex,

I'm not saying I hate Dungeon Keeper 2. I'll keep playing it. I just despise having something I enjoy immensely and is actively encouraged ruined by a broken mechanic. Also, as mentioned, Bullfrog made the game. EA likely pressed down on them with a deadline, though...

DragonLover,

Glad to see you're still around. The problem with patching DK2 is that there are some issues with editing official levels, I'm noticing. The hypersensitive creatures problem is my biggest issue with the game. The bland creatures compared to the original is another issue I have with it. Less original, too.

Though...far better campaign.

Duke Ragereaver,

NO! The AI sucks enough as is (Hell, even the editor manual mentions that...). I don't need something else to make me pull my hair out.

Hell. The AI in 2 is worse than in 1! And that's a bloody feat, let me tell you. The AI in 2 can't even find portals unless it's right near them...no wonder in almost every campaign level the enemy keepers start developed.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Actually, all levels but level 11 are developed... ALL!!!
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    They should have added infighting in DK2. The reasons? Well, look at the first post, pretty sums up everything.
    I don't follow . What do you mean by "infighting?" Fighting between different Keepers so that you didn't end up with prisons full of good creatures, fighting between creatures or what?
    Sorry for cluttering the thread btw...