Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Heaps of gold

Default Re: Heaps of gold

You make a good point about the drop-spots. Hadn't thought about that, good one.

I know we could do this procedurally, though not yet sure how this will be implemented. I've got some leads though.

Walking over them would be easy, and can already be implemented; collision meshes move along with the original mesh, so it's just a matter of setting those up propperly.

I know this is a color of the bikeshed argument, but I'll pitch in anyway.

Realism doesn't mean anything. "A Keeper would be more organized and thus keep his gold in pots" is, IMO, not a valid argument if you are making a game. Don't overthink logical consistency in games, people might notice (thought most won't) but they'll just think 'oh well, doesn't matter.' For making decisions, I would propose three rules, in order:

1. Rule of User Focus: pick the thing that will make it easier for the *player* to do what he wants
    2. Rule of Awesome: pick the thing that is cooler and more awesome
    3. Rule of Implementation: pick the thing that is easier to implement
    Usually, consider rule 1 before 2 and 3, and 2 before 3.

IMO, a Big Ass Pile Of Gold is a lot more awesome than some stacked pots. Implementation would be somewhat more difficult, maybe, but not impossibly hard. The only argument remains with the Rule of User Focus. I don't think it makes a lot of difference, the only things I can think about is that a pile of gold is easier to click on, but might obscure sight of creatures behind it, depending on how big it is. Minor things IMO.

Thanks, Vincent. That's a pretty spiffy list of rules. I talked to Void, he thinks that implementation wise this would be do-able, and it's a system (scanning a room for the optimal layout of different sized blocks) that would be usable for other rooms as well.

Bless the coders and algo-makers. What they do is still almost magic to me, no matter how much they try and convince me otherwise.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Well being that I am actually seeing some gameplay differences, (due to dotted's post) then I suppose there's not as much to say anymore. I still definately prefer the individual pots because under my eyes, if I was a Dungeon Keeper then that would be how I organize my own Treasure Room. But I suppose that the idea does have some other advantages that outdo that preference, so I'm withdrawing my arguements.

Quote Originally Posted by verhoevenv View Post
    Realism doesn't mean anything. "A Keeper would be more organized and thus keep his gold in pots" is, IMO, not a valid argument if you are making a game. Don't overthink logical consistency in games, people might notice (thought most won't) but they'll just think 'oh well, doesn't matter.'
    Normally quite true and I normally don't care for realism much at all when it comes to making games and such. It is all gameplay which is what is truely important. However, at the time of the post, either direction was looking more like personal preference. And so on personal preference, I preferred the original idea since to me, it logically made sense due to the reason stated above. With two things so closely similar, you'd probably want to go with the idea that is more logical or interesting. (Similar to why the Guards were scrapped, because we have Barbarians and they serve a similar Unit Type)
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!