Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Heaps of gold

Default Heaps of gold

Yes, sure, we'll have the growing heaps of gold on the floor if you drop it there, that much is already clear (and largely implemented, thank you programmers!). But I think we could go one step further. Cause who doesnt like big heaps of gold?

I suggest the following: Instead of having a treasury with a pot or box of gold on each individual square, why not make one big heap of gold?

Visually, this is more attractive to me; having one heap to represent your gold in a single look, as opposed to having to count squares to get an idea of how rich you are. It also removes the need for pots of gold to spawn outof thin air whenever you drop gold in your treasury. It also removes the need to go from square to square picking up gold if you need lots of of. Finally, if we so chose, it would allow for some more interaction with your riches by your creatures (I heard someone talk about dragons swimming in gold. Just a thought).

Currently the small gold piles scale with the ammount of gold. I suggest the following:

5 gold pile assets. One for 3x3, 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6 rooms, and finally, a single tile one. We spawn them below the floor, and link them through kismet to move up on the Z-axis as more gold is in your possesion. This has the added benefit of slightly changing the look of the room depending on it's size, which, although is quite a bit of extra work, really adds a lot of interest for me.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Daharka Jones

Default Re: Heaps of gold

I suggested such a thing a while back, as I was playing Fable 3 at the time, and was told not cause you wouldn't be able to tell how much gold you really have.
    I like the idea, but... well, lets see what happens with the other responses.

*Puts on Ninja gear and waits*

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

Also, what about navigation through the room?

and what if a player builds a 10x10 room?

Then you get 4 5x5 heaps. And I dont get the navigation issue.

Gamer IDs

Creatures won't be able to pass through the treasury without going over the top of all the gold.

EDIT: Actually this is a good idea, think about it, a 10x10 room could normally have 100 treasure objects in it, it would be less stress to render 2 5x5 objects in my opinion, than 100 1x1 objects.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: beringline

How do we make it technically appealing, without putting too much work in it?

I figured scaling might work - perhaps then we can add a series of random objects that appear on the surface of the pile of gold: swords, crowns, chests, jewels, gems.

Actually, scaling is possible, but visually unappealing. As explained in the top post; Spawn the goldheap underneath the floor tiles, the have them move up as your gold increases. The net effect is that the goldheap grows "outof the ground" , which I think is much nicer, since textures dont have to scale along (One minute the coin is as big as a coin, the other minute it's as big as a biledemons head, that kinda thing).

I mean, implementation isn't a big issue, I know this works, and I can demo it pretty quickly. It's more a matter of estatics. And estatcially speaking, I think this would be much cooler then individual pots.

Yes, Absolutely, MB, have chests and jewlery in the pile as it grows bigger. That kinda thing.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: beringline

Anyway I can make some art of some gold piles during the week. With different designs.

That'd be great. I'm building the "pile" of gold coins as we speak, but I i'd love the add some visual detail, and some concepts would be mightly useful.

Gamer IDs

Cmon don, work for your 0.5% cut!