Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Engine

Default Re: The Engine

The en source code is quite easy to understand. I don't fully understand all of it, but when i don't, i just ask IKSLM and he explains it to me.

The engine is well suited to this game and I think the whole engine is done basically. All that needs doing is the code to go on top of the engine.

Correct me if I'm wrong because last time I looked at the source was at least a couple of months ago

Thumbs up Re: The Engine

Quote Originally Posted by nebster View Post
    The en source code is quite easy to understand. I don't fully understand all of it, but when i don't, i just ask IKSLM and he explains it to me.

The engine is well suited to this game and I think the whole engine is done basically. All that needs doing is the code to go on top of the engine.

Correct me if I'm wrong because last time I looked at the source was at least a couple of months ago
    awesome. so what's the plan now, what's the next step?

To design the game still. We're clearly far from ready to actually go into development.

There needs to be a major meeting to discuss ideas and decide on what is in and what is out.

Demon Spawn

So the engine is used for WftO, is anyone still working on NBK itself (we all know IKSLM doesn't have much time)?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Hmm never actually realized this was posted in the NBKE forum. Anyways as of revision 9 the WFTO fork can now be build, but as there have been no WFTO changes yet it is essentially NBKE.

A developer told me that DK3 will use the same engine as DK1

Quote Originally Posted by natchoguy View Post
    A developer told me that DK3 will use the same engine as DK1
    You mean of WFTO on this forum, he probably means the NBK (DK1 remake) which is using the NBKE. WFTO will be using NBKE too.

Me and my friend are working on NBKE engine since april, but time shortage slows the process. Still there are serious changes.
    We've began total engine refactoring. We connected some external libs instead of IKSLM handmade existing:
    - Ogre3D rendering. (www.ogre3d.org).
    - PhysX dynamics
    Both of them are free to use in any projects (commercial or not).
    In fact this is the great work, and we implemented just few features u've seen in NBKE.

What's implemented now:
    - Block level rendering. In NBKE all block mesh is generated manually, in code. This were fast, but too complex, and impossible to implement dungeons environments like in DK2, or in Neverwinter Nights. The new approach - to create models for each block type, just like this:

in extern editor, like 3dsmax, so anyone (not only a coder) can customise dungeon appearance.
    - Some game objecs, like items and imps, can be created through scripts. Imp can be controlled through script commands (via console) or directly from keyboard.
    - Any object in game world have physical properties, like mass and shape. Dynamics engine solves all collisions.
    - More deep interaction with LUA scripting system. Now practically all engine objects can be accesed through scripts.

Most important things to be implemented:
    - GUI. There is no gui still.
    - Block models. I've done only basic walls\dirt blocks, and we need someone to draw last types. It's quite easy but boring process. Maybe someone makes utility based on NBKE code, that generates and saves block models in OGRE .mesh format.
    - Rooms. I haven't done any models for room blocks, and so there are no code that use it.
    - Creature AI. Now imp can execute only simple tasks like to reach specific point or to pick some item.

Now all the project is stored on our private SVN server. I visit this forum seldom, so it's easier to find me in skype: frosthand.

Demon Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by FrostHand View Post
    The new approach - to create models for each block type
    Well ok, but are these blocks randomly deformed by the engine just like DK2 does?
    The dungeon will look very boring and monotonous if not.

Deformations can be implemented using vertex shaders.
    In fact i don't like deformations, and also there are other ways to make dungeon look different:
    - we could draw more wall models.
    - we could draw animated wall models (skeleton\vertex animation)
    Last edited by FrostHand; October 2nd, 2009 at 06:55.