Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Return of the Keeper Campaign for KeeperFX

Default Return of the Keeper Campaign for KeeperFX

The Return of the Keeper takes place after the Keepers have departed / slumbered for 100 years. You awaken to find the land suffering under the heavy yoke of the tyrannically good Avatar (Who simply refuses to stay dead), and become obliged to set things Right.

ROTK is considered by me as a "fix / tweak" to improve the challenge level of initial game, fixing exploits (boulder & lava traps, lightning spells, etc) and having limited numbers of Creatures. It is also meant to have some Nostalgia factor, like revisiting Dungeon Keeper 1 but as a very much different gaming experience.

The Heroes are not extremely tougher, but they have been tweaked somewhat and are more sensible. They generally come in Groups and stay in Groups, with more numbers. Plus they are now deployed by Enemy Keepers, who no longer share your (limited) Pool. You may also never convert them.

None of the levels are meant to be bone-bitingly hard, but they should keep you on your toes, rather than make you feel like a leisurely stroll / turtle. It is also good for the Keeper to plan ahead, value and deploy his Creatures wisely, because the Creatures are generally Irreplaceable. Limited Resources against many foes, with no simple exploits to quickly resolve it.

This is a currently a 3 level Campaign, will come up to about 6-8 levels in all. There are also more levels under consideration.

You can download it here.

==============

1) Moonbrush Wood
    As a newly awakened Keeper, you search the Libraries for Lore and knowledge on harnessing the more powerful evil Creatures that have dwindled in number. It is also an in-game introduction for the Rules of the Campaign, and details how the creatures have been tweaked. You end by facing a few progressively tougher waves of Heroes, which you likely will have difficulty facing if you don't apply your new-found knowledge at the Temple.

2) Tulipscent
    Another familiar realm, you face your first Hero Keeper. Depending on how quickly you move, it can be hard or easy, but generally they will bring the fight to you, but make sure they don't let the Local Heroes (White) come to play against you. From here you will understand what Heroes they have and learn to deal with them Quickly.

3) Woodly Rhyme
    You face two enemy Hero Keepers and once you break out to claim your Gems, there will be constant local invaders. If you survive the break-out, your challenge will be to build up with Enemies knocking on your doorstep on two separate fronts. Meantime, the clock ticks as the local Heroes build up...

================

Proper use of the Campaign involves using 4 .CFG Files (rules, magic, keepcompp, trapdoor) to be placed in FXData folder, and I have included Batch Files for you to install them and restore back without manually doing so. To Use it properly, please unzip with Folders into your KeeperFX folder.

If however you are familiar with manual changing of your CFG files, its best to do so Manually.

I will update this thread as new maps are Released, please feel free to comment also.

from the Readme on the Creature & Hero Changes / Tweaks

Spoiler

from the Readme on other Changes to Rooms, Spells, Traps, Doors, Recipes

Spoiler

Last edited by Zyraen; July 13th, 2011 at 05:24.
    Dungeon Keeper 1 / Deeper Dungeons Fan
    No intention to play DK2

I'm Chinese, so please try and spell better than me...

Default Re: Return of the Keeper Campaign for KeeperFX

Just wondering, how is this Forum / the DK1 Map Releases forum being organised?

It seems that unlike the other forums, the later posts are actually on the last page rather than the first page... Or is it supposed to be sorted in order of oldest Topic first and Latest Topic last?
    No intention to play DK2

It's currently organized by thread rating (descending).

The Awakening

Cool, someone rated 2 stars any feedback on the levels?
    No intention to play DK2

Very nice campaing!

When the full version will be available?

Thank you for your kind words. I hope the planned revision to make Demonspawns enter only on a 5x5 Treasure Room will improve it (so that you don't have to keep watching out for them)

I estimate it should be finished by end of August in a "complete" release of 6 levels.

Level 4 Korros Tor is already completed, and its pretty difficult. If you like I can just send it to you via PM or sth, or just put it up as an attachment on this thread.

I was sorta Stuck on Batezek for a few reasons.
    To be fair though, Batezek probably resembles the original Batezek only in the shape and form of the dungeon, caverns, and gold patches. You're really up against 3 Hero Keepers with No Gems of your own, as well as Hero Invasions, and they've each got a pair of your creatures to Scavenge from you. (each pair of creatures represents approx 1/3 of your force, not counting Demonspawn... ouch!)

Spoiler

In short, Batezek is devilishly hard and amidst the playtesting I (almost) gave up.
    (well part of the reason for stopping was also being unsure about the level of interest in the campaign)

Once done, I will move on to Skybird Trill, level 6 and probably the last level.

Meantime, ehm, any more specific feedback other than Very Nice Campaign?

You can also suggest levels that you would like to be remade, I will do my level best.
    Although tentatively Batezek and Skybird Trill are what I plan to be the "last" levels, as in, the most difficult.
    Last edited by Zyraen; August 3rd, 2011 at 10:08.
    No intention to play DK2

"I estimate it should be finished by end of August in a "complete" release of 6 levels."
    Its the 6th of Sept Mr.
    Where's my campaign?!

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by `ETCH View Post
    "I estimate it should be finished by end of August in a "complete" release of 6 levels."
    Its the 6th of Sept Mr.
    Where's my campaign?!
    No need to get all pushy and demanding. Only six days passed since "the end of August", and he said he should have it finished, meaning something came up or the task was more difficult than he expected it to be and he wasn't able to finish it in time. (Or he wasn't working on it because he didn't feel like it, but something like this is to be done on his free time when he wants to anyways)

Lastly, he did say it was an estimate.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Lol thanks for the interest and the defence

I just finished Batezek (5) actually, I have to get home to play it.
    Yes, I actually play through all my levels to make sure they're not frustratingly difficult (well... at least for me.)
    (and when I have a bad day at work, sometimes I just play Moonbrush Wood 1 as its a relaxing yet satisfying level)
    I'll post the map screenshot soon, but it has quite significant changes so don't be upset if its unrecognisable ^^;.

To date, it is probably the most difficult level... The last level Skybird Trill will probably be easier than Batezek.

I'm considering adding a 7th level between Woodly Rhyme (3) and Korros Tor (4), because Korros Tor IS that difficult, and it'll just be a lighthearted level that shouldn't be too difficult compared to Woodly Rhyme.
    However, I'll only work on it after I'm done with Skybird Trill (6). Tentatively, I think I'm aiming for Pladitz, not because I like that level exceptionally, but because it has an interesting "pain-in-the-ass" positioning for a certain asset class

@ETCH` (and anyone else who has played the 3 levels so far)
    If you like, I can send you Korros Tor and Batezek (the latter for playtesting... ), or would anyone else like it if I just released it (so total comes to 5 levels) and 2 more levels to complete the Campaign?
    Oh, and any other feedback would be most welcome
    Last edited by Zyraen; September 6th, 2011 at 06:58.
    No intention to play DK2

http://keeperklan.com/threads/1994-T...5214#post35214
    <== well, this is the Batezek Summary if you like it.
    No intention to play DK2