Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Confusion Trap

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Tomha

Default The Confusion Trap (First post has remade version)

Hi this is Tomha (You can just call me Tom for short) and I'll go ahead and post my first Suggestion. I hope it doesn't sound too bad or anything. *Sweatdrop*

EDIT: A few people have been pointing out how the original version of the trap would be overpowered and didn't like the idea this trap had unpredictable effects, especially ones that could make or break you and be easily abused. So I remade it into a alternate version where instead of being a AOE trap dangerous for everyone, it became a AOE that's dangerous...for 1 guy. Anyway take a peak.

Name: Confusion Trap (Original Version)

Uses: Three Times, afterwards it requires replacement
    Mana Drain: 250 mana
    Target: Area of Effect
    Friendly Fire: Yes
    Cooldown: One Minute
    Recovery: None

Information: A trap that introduces choas into the game.

Function: The Trap deploys a red mist in the area effecting creatures within the mist range. The Creatures enter a state of Confusion. The creatures effected by the mist will have the possible effects listed below. The Duration of the effect is really up to the Dev team but if I could, I'd suggest maybe 20 seconds.

1) Victim is dazed from the confusion and simply stands there. These victims do nothing for the duration of the effect.
    2) Victim is insane with rage and attacks EVERYONE around them for the duration of the effect.
    3) Victim is consumed with fear and will flee from enemies for the duration of the effect.
    4) Victim has lost sense of good and evil, he suffers the effects of the Turncoat spell for the duration of the effect.
    5) Victim has become sickened and is under the effects of the slow spell for the duration of the effect.
    6) Victim is empowered by the chaos of the confusion gas and benefits from the speed spell for the duration of the effect.
    7) Victim believes he was almost killed by the trap taking large amounts of damage and is under the effects of the slow spell.
    8) Victim believes he's a chicken, victim is under the effects of the chicken spell for the duration of the effect.
    9) Victim Is empowered by rage and confusion, he attacks everyone around him and is instantly healed as if by the heal spell, attacks EVERYONE, and is under the effects of the Speed Spell.
    10) The Victim is unaffected by the trap.

Appearance: Much like the Spike Trap, only red and instead of spikes coming out, it's red smoke.

The real purpose of the Trap is to add a unpredictable element to the game and serves as a very dangerous trap for everyone including yourself. The Trap can either help you by weakening the enemy and/or empowering your creatures or possibly backfiring by helping the heroes. ( Campaign Story Wise this could be the main trap Insane Keepers use or maybe the Heroes believe confusing the enemy will help them win the battle. Imagine taking the fight to enemy Keepers and Hero strongholds full of these traps. )

The Trap would need to use a Randomizing program with 10 possible results meaning the trap has a 10% chance to do any of the listed effects. It might be easier in terms of programing to make everyone within the AOE share the same effect but it'd be best if every creature gets their own randomized results. This can mean in the moment the trap triggers, 1 hero is dazed, 1 hero enraged, 3 creatures unaffected, ect.

Creature wise only the following are not affected by the trap (If their applicable.)

Undead (Vampires, Skeletons, ghosts, ect)
    Horned Reaper/Horny
    Lord of the Land (or Knights in general if you want)
    Any Mindless creature (Like Skeletons, and Stone Knights)
    King
    Prince

Obviously some of these characters will probably not even appear in the game, I was mostly just listing them to give you a general idea on who'd be immune to the trap.
    Name: Confusion Trap (Alternate version)

Uses: Once, afterwards it requires replacement
    Mana Drain: 100 mana
    Target: Area of Effect
    Friendly Fire: no
    Cooldown: none
    Recovery: None

Information: A Trap that turns whoever triggers it into a hostile neutral for a brief period of time while everyone else within the range of the triggered trap becomes immune to it for a period of time.

Function: When the trap is triggered it releases a red smoke to fill a small range area. The person who triggered said trap becomes hostile neutral for 5 seconds while everyone else within the smoke becomes immune for 65 seconds.

Appearance: A small wrapped present with question marks on it. When triggered the present bursts into red smoke.

Creature wise only the following are not affected by the trap (If their applicable.)

Undead (Vampires, Skeletons, ghosts, ect)
    Horned Reaper/Horny
    Lord of the Land (or Knights in general if you want)
    Any Mindless creature (Like Skeletons, and Stone Knights)
    King

There could be more listed, the smoke is mostly drug based and not magical and the listed creatures are who would most likely be immune to said trap. (It's also just to keep certain creatures/heroes from causing too much damage for their own side.)
    Last edited by Tomha; August 11th, 2011 at 06:53.

Default Re: The Confusion Trap

Hello Tom!

I am a bit confused,are the features you listed there from 1-10 are all suposed to be included to the trap? or only one of them? (if only one ill probelly choose the Rage thing on suggestion number 2.)

About the apearence,since its a sort of gas trap,I wont it be wiser to make it simillar to the orginal gas trap,instead of the spike trap?

Like your idea,through i think horned reaper shold not only get effected by this,it shold make him like a full franzy overpowered mad psycho,Why? First of all i think its simply cool,and second,sence when does the reaper has self discipline???

Lol finally someone comments on this I thought this idea was cool too, just maybe reduce the effects to just 1, and there's a random chance creatures don't get affected. I like the idea of this trap affecting all creatures, both friendly and unfriendly.

Note depending on how long the Red Cloud stays up, it could be used for the Defender's advantage.
    eg. If Cloud stays for 4 seconds but effect remains for 20 - after Cloud ends, drop your creatures on the confused enemies.
    eg. If Cloud stays for 20 seconds and effect remains only while Cloud is present - less advantage, but you could always drop Ranged Creatures out of range of the Cloud and pummel the confused creatures
    eg. Assuming Cloud somehow affects everyone except a few, ie there's a 25% chance the creature is unaffected, it would be a very useful trap for breaking up big groups into bite-sized chunks.

So... from the above 3 Egs, would it be considered OP ? Just a thought.
    Dungeon Keeper 1 / Deeper Dungeons Fan
    No intention to play DK2

I'm Chinese, so please try and spell better than me...

I think the second "Eg" fits,since the first one is kinda overpowered.. (an overall tourncoat to the entire army,while your army is immune.. nah.)

Gamer IDs

The Trap itself has 10 possible effects but only 1 will be active when it's triggered. Basically the trap triggering will be like your forced to roll a 10 sided die and whatever number it lands is the effect. Like the first time it triggers you get said random result, the next time it has a 90% chance of a completely different effect. To really keep the trap from being overpowered though is to make it when the trap itself triggers, everyone that was within the range of effect gets a random result. This could mean like one of your Dark Mistresses got the first effect and is pretty much paralyzed while that enemy thief is enraged and attacks everyone around him and that annoying wizard is a chicken. But everyone has a 10% chance of not being effected by the trap.

As for the Gas and how it will effect I was thinking that once the gas fills the area it would be for about 5 ( I like using 5's and 10's xD ) seconds or so and whoever enters the area while the gas is out will be effected and everyone effected will remain so for the short period of time. ( I originally suggested 20 seconds but that can always be changed. ) So if they were in there at the beginning and after the 5 seconds of gas fades their still effected for 15 seconds while someone who just entered the smoke at the last second will have 19 seconds being effected.

A note I should add is when they are effected they should probably be unaffected to the Confusion Trap while their already suffering their effects or something. This would keep the Effect from constantly restarting and more importantly keep each creature from suffering constantly different trap results. ( Like 1 second he's idle, the next he flee's, then rages, ect )

Appearance Wise: I thought it would have been a good idea to make it's appearance different from the normal gas trap and similar to the Spike Trap. You see a normal green spike trap and you know what it is, but you see what looks like a red spike trap with no spikes ( Air Vents? Air Holes? ) and you wont know what will happen when it goes off. To be honest though when I typed the trap details I never thought about the appearance so you can say that one had the least thought into it. But yeah the trap can be a recolored gas trap.

one of the main reasons I listed the Horned Reaper as being Immune to the trap is mostly cause I think he himself might be too strong to be effected by drugs. If he was vulnerable then that means this trap has a 10% chance of making the psycho calm down or even flee in terror. The reason doesn't really have to be self control, it can also be that they may have a high tolerance to such drugs or are possibly flat out immune.

Another thing I forgot to mention and should have mentioned is while under the effects of the trap, possession instantly ends and cannot be used on you effected creatures and you cannot pick up your effected minions. ( That way if your minions are effected by like the chicken effect or enraged, you can't just pick them off somewhere safe for everyone. )
    Last edited by Tomha; July 14th, 2011 at 03:12.

I like how there's a random outcome but; is it undetectable? (as in; will it be visible after "launch" or not) if so; is it attackable after detection?

Gamer IDs

I honestly can't remember if there were any traps that remained invisible after activation. ( I never used many traps in DK2. ) Apart of me honestly doubts it would matter. So I'd say it becomes Detectable after it's first triggered.

Cause if people do like what I do: Possess a Imp and have him run around in the enemy dungeon if possible, that imp will be not only be revealing the traps but using up one of the 3 charges. Plus keeping it undetectable might be abit OP, since there'd be no way to destroy it without just using up the charges.

I like this Tom fellow.

Gamer IDs

lol thanks xD

will it be destroyable after detection? (like in DK2); maybe you should add an option for manual launch