Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Music Types

Default Music Types

I think depending on the layer in which an event is taking place (and the keeper is viewing) should change which style of music is played.

Something like a dark classical orchestra on the surface (battle music) or a light "happy" orchestra when peaceful.

Dark gothic ochestra in the dungeon level (battle) and some sort of "industral" for peace time (like DK1's industral style).

I'm not sure on the deeper dungeons, it could mimic layer 2's music I suppose.

This is what I was listening to when I got the idea:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/83021
    It starts a bit weird, so give it some time.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/264623
    Peaceful time on the surface? Not too keen on this...

I have a feeling the music for peace might come on too strong. Or if the player is switching a lot the music might get a bit confusing, could be combatted with trying the same rhythm but in two styles, and fading the two together.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Default Re: Music Types

Previous threads of this type suggested we used rock and metal like music, however the only rock music i can recall out of the top of my head is the intro to DK1 so we have to be careful and seperate game music and intro music.

Quote Originally Posted by dotted View Post
    Previous threads of this type suggested we used rock and metal like music, however the only rock music i can recall out of the top of my head is the intro to DK1 so we have to be careful and seperate game music and intro music.
    DK2 used gothic-rock/industrial hyrbid music for the battle scene, I don't recall the music between battles, though I presume it was probably some form of ambient.

DK1 used mostly industrial or dark ambient music, minus the intro music of course.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Quote Originally Posted by Dre@m View Post
    DK2 used gothic-rock/industrial hyrbid music for the battle scene, I don't recall the music between battles, though I presume it was probably some form of ambient.
    Really? I considered it to be mostly electronic. While i im not sure if i wanna call it Drum'n'Bass it's close to it tho, nothing to do with rock.

No, I'm pretty damn sure it was gothic-rock/industrial. Though industrial is a form of elctronic I think...

The intro was purely electronica with a hint of industrial in there too.

Imp

Actually, i am already working on the music.

Here are some examples (note that they are far from being finished):
    Attached Files Attached Files

You know, the dungeon 2 could be used as an intro music, and the battle music is pretty neat, but it sounds just like every medeval game ever. We need something to make it sound unique.

"Battle" needs to be sudden and able to alert and inspire. As it stands it sounds too royal. I loved DK2's battle music when it comes in on a screech and then followed up by other instruments, before fading out to ambience when it was over. You could never get tired of the music changing at a hearts notice.

I love Dungeon 2 if that will be the ambience. But the others sound too royal and final fantasy.

As for the Original Poster, i love that first one. I mean it sounds too magical towards the beginning as opposed to the maniacal sound it began with and appears too long - but thats how i imagined it. I do love the piano part before it goes back into the impish theme. The beginning and end were the best bits of that piece.

The second, sounds too Matrix-y and upper class. *could* be if you could ever play the side of heroes (Mp or whatever), but for an Evil Keeper - just no.

@Odin: DK2 had a 10minute long battle track with about 3-4 minute buildup period.

The start point was just selected randomly though, which is why if you listen it never really starts the same.

@Defleckor: Sorry, but I don't really like any of those. Especially not the last one, it sounds more like what you'd hear on an audio book whilst their telling the story, no ambience about it, heck I wouldn't even call it Music, more a SoundFX demo reel.

EDIT: This sounds a little closer to the DK2 (in recollection) battle music http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/66507 but obviously a lot faster. Since I much prefer faster tempo music, DK2 was too slow for me.
    Last edited by Dre@m; October 1st, 2009 at 18:30.

I think the battle music needs to be something really heavy! Sort of like the .
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you areā€¦"