Thread: FX got a starting bug? Will just display splash screen, and no more.

Default FX got a starting bug? Will just display splash screen, and no more.

Hello.

Since the regular Keeper 95 doesn't agree with my Windows 2000 computer, I decided to give KeeperFX a go.
    However, while Keeper 95 stops with a black screen, I do get the splash screen with Keeper FX (Dungeon Keeper title etc) but from there on it stops.
    Nothing else will show, and I can sit there watching that forver (Left it running for... Hmmm 5-10 minutes with no change.)

Hardware wise that Windows 2000 machine shares a lot with my usual Windows 7 rig since it is running in a VM, for reference I got full DirectX capabillities as I am running it through VMWare Workstation.
    What I have restricted it to is 1x core of a i7 920 and 512Mb of RAM.

Any known bugs that prevents it from running on such an old OS?

Default Re: FX got a starting bug? Will just display splash screen, and no more.

why do you want to run keeperfx on virtual pc? why not simply run it on win7?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Default Re: FX got a starting bug? Will just display splash screen, and no more.

Yes, KeeperFX is compatible Windows 7.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Several reasons, Dungeon Keeper is old school so its code truly wreaks havoc on systems running CrossFire.
    For an example, old Direct draw my screen would cause seizures in some people when it goes all blinky in the menus (Alternate frame rendering bug with CrossFire and old 2D programs.)
    Secondly it may bork up a few desktop settings with its low rez (I got Eyefinity across 3x 1920x1080 monitors.) I will give it a shot in my XP VM and see if it works or not, if it doesn't it is a bug in the code for Win 2k.

EDIT: Seems to have a disagreement with virtual machines in general, which is too bad...
    Flickering images or no game seems to be the options presented to me.
    There also seems to be a bug in the process termination code, you cannot terminate it with the "Terminate process" command in Windows...
    Last edited by Commander; October 11th, 2011 at 20:43.