Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Keeping Too Much?

Default Re: Keeping Too Much?

You know, that's a good point. I assume it mostly because of the Troll's prominent part in the first game's cinematics, the Troll concept art, it's more unique role (being a dedicated manufacturer instead of being a fighter). Also, I suppose it could be because it also returned in DK2. I also think the Troll looks better, seeing as it's not purple. :P

I have to admit I throw Demon Spawns down my portal just as much as beetles. I barely use both of them outside of the first few missions of the campaign. Personally, I think the Demon Spawn is a little more interesting because it's an interesting design, I like the noises it makes, it walks on lava, and it becomes a dragon. The beetle seems less interesting to me because the Spider does its schtick better and it's... a big beetle.

Although I did wonder why DEMON Spawn become Dragons.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funderbunk View Post
    You know, that's a good point. I assume it mostly because of the Troll's prominent part in the first game's cinematics, the Troll concept art, it's more unique role (being a dedicated manufacturer instead of being a fighter). Also, I suppose it could be because it also returned in DK2. I also think the Troll looks better, seeing as it's not purple. :P
    They actually look like some kind of darker pink to me, but I suppose that doesn't really matter much.

I have to admit I throw Demon Spawns down my portal just as much as beetles. I barely use both of them outside of the first few missions of the campaign. Personally, I think the Demon Spawn is a little more interesting because it's an interesting design, I like the noises it makes, it walks on lava, and it becomes a dragon. The beetle seems less interesting to me because the Spider does its schtick better and it's... a big beetle.
    Demon Spawns are more interesting than Beetles, but I think that Beetles are still better than Demon Spawns in terms of usefulness. Demon Spawns only help with Melee and Ranged combat, but they're not very good at doing either. Beetles at least have Freeze which immobilizes enemies, making them much easier to deal with.

Yeah they're outclassed by Spiders, but that's beside the point. The point would be that the Beetle is more useful than a Demon Spawn. The Demon Spawn's ability to turn into a Dragon is unique but still very useless as Dragons not only technically appear before Demon Spawns when building a dungeon but Demon Spawns take too long to level up.

Although I did wonder why DEMON Spawn become Dragons.
    I think that's being a bit picky on the names. I think they probably considered calling the Demon Spawn a Dragon Spawn, but decided on calling them Demon Spawns simply because it just sounds better. Dragons are demon-like creatures I suppose, so it works out well.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

I think Beetle's freeze is overrated. He only gets it at level 7 and it takes for****ingEVER to train it to that level. I never got one to a sufficient level without just leaving the game running AFK in maps such as Flowerhat. And by the time the Beetle gets Freeze, the Demon Spawn is long at level 10 and has Missile and Heal as well as generally quite better combat stats.

Anyway, I think this is getting a bit off-topic.

The Awakening

I agree about the Orc thing. It's one of the things that irks me about WftO the most.

Why, why, WHY would you make it a colour swapped Troll? (The Troll is the original, Orc doesn't even make a comeback in DK2). In my head, Trolls are things that post on the internet and live under bridges (Our Trolls are Different) and Orcs are things from Lord of the Rings.

If you want a primary fighter unit, the Orc should LOOK like a fucking barbarian and essentially be the counter for the Viking, not some skinny green thing hitting metal in a workshop.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

I find ot very strange you already know what our Orc is going to look like. Why the hell in this day an age, with a team of talented models would you assume we are just going to do a pallete swapped troll?

I know there is an old troll model picture up from when WftO was a DKI remake called NBKE, but I really think we are past that point.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    I find ot very strange you already know what our Orc is going to look like. Why the hell in this day an age, with a team of talented models would you assume we are just going to do a pallete swapped troll?

I know there is an old troll model picture up from when WftO was a DKI remake called NBKE, but I really think we are past that point.
    Though Beeb didn't have to be so antagonistic about it, you have to keep in mind that for us peons not in the loop, all we CAN do is assume things based on the things we find on the website and the board. As long as we don't have any other information, we're not suddenly going to assume that the only thing we have to go on is not true anymore. We don't know these things that you say we shouldn't talk about because we don't know it.

Also, no offense, but way to make it abundantly clear you're not a professional with your tone. I know he was being rude and I'm not going to defend him, but the first rule of public relations is never mess with your audience. Don't let people drag you down to their level.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
    If you want a primary fighter unit, the Orc should LOOK like a fucking barbarian and essentially be the counter for the Viking, not some skinny green thing hitting metal in a workshop.
    He shouldn't look like he's meant to be a counterpart to the Viking in any way. It wouldn't fit him very well at all, mostly due to the fact that his stats wouldn't support him looking like such a huge beast.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

Though Beeb didn't have to be so antagonistic about it, you have to keep in mind that for us peons not in the loop, all we CAN do is assume things based on the things we find on the website and the board. As long as we don't have any other information, we're not suddenly going to assume that the only thing we have to go on is not true anymore. We don't know these things that you say we shouldn't talk about because we don't know it.

Also, no offense, but way to make it abundantly clear you're not a professional with your tone. I know he was being rude and I'm not going to defend him, but the first rule of public relations is never mess with your audience. Don't let people drag you down to their level.
    For one, the picture that's floating about is on old threads, not our actual official website. I've told a lot of people the best place to find out what is currently in the game is the website. A big update's coming very soon.

Also I know we said we're going to be taking a lot of inspiration from DKI, but that never meant we're just going to copy everything that came out of it. A lot of the models are to be completely redone, or might not even make it into the game.