Training Rate: Below Average
    Training Cost: Very High
    Wage: High

Skills:
    Level 1: Melee [Flaming peck]
    Level 2: Heal
    Level 3: Fireball
    Level 5: Meteor
    Level 7: Fire Burst [shoots out three Fireballs: one straight forward and two others left and right in a 10 degree angle; 6 seconds cooldown]
    Level 9: Fire Blast [shoots out a large Meteor which does twice as much damage as Meteor; 10 seconds cooldown]
    Levle 10: Word of Power

Special Ability: Resurrection

When the Phoenix gets killed (or knocked out), it will burn to ashes and leave behind a Phoenix Egg. The Phoenix Egg will start at 25% health, and has the same max health (and other stats) as the Phoenix had before it died. The Phoenix Egg will gradually restore health at a rate of 5% per second (meaning it takes at least 15 seconds to resurrect, under perfect circumstances). It can still be attacked by enemy units as normal, and if it reaches 0% health, it will be destroyed, or if the enemy has Imprison activated, it will leave behind the Phoenix's body for capture. If the Egg reaches 100% health, it will transform back into the Phoenix with full health, at no other penalty. After resurrection, it cannot resurrect again until it has been out of combat for 1 minute; if it is defeated before then, it will be killed or knocked out as usual.

Also has flight ability and is immune to lava.

Information: The phoenix is a mythical bird, associated with fire and also known for its life cycle, where after a 500 to 1000 year long life-cycle, it will be reduced to ash and bring forth a new phoenix or phoenix egg. Often, in games, this ability is adapted into a resurrection ability; this is no exception.

As for its appearance in WftO, it is basically a powerful offensive caster in addition to having the ability to resurrect itself. What balances this out is a very low health stat, meaning that if a powerful unit such as a Bile Demon taps it a couple times, it's already forced to resurrect, and unless there's something around to draw all attention away from it, the resurrection will fail. It is recommended for any keeper to keep their phoenixes safe at any time because they could die very quickly otherwise. On the other hand, their offensive supporting capability is not to be underestimated.

Behavior in Dungeon: The Phoenix, if under a Keeper's control, typically researches in the Library. It does not do anything special, but it will sleep in the Lair more than usual. It will also prefer to sleep first if its health is anywhere below 100%, to ensure that its health is full at most times.

Battle Style: At level 3 or higher, it will stay at the back and support. Below level 3, it will be forced to go into melee, where it can also do quite a bit of damage. Beware, though, as putting a phoenix up close is very risky.

Jobs: Research, but can do anything else except manufacture.

Obtainable By: Neutral, typically neutral hostile

Hates: Nothing in particular

Loves: Fire; by extension most fire-based creatures (e.g. Demon Spawn, Dragon) and creatures who primarily use fire (e.g. Warlock)

Anger reaction: Typically tries to leave dungeon or turns to Neutral Hostile, attacking other creatures

Lair: A circle of fire. When the Phoenix is not sleeping, the flames will be very tame and barely reach above the carpet. If the Phoenix is sleeping, the fire will light up to the Phoenix' height, while the Phoenix is sleeping in typical bird resting position.

Appearance: Basically a flaming bird. Shouldn't be too large, as it still has to fit inside a dungeon, of course.

The Phoenix egg looks like this:

How Introduced: Appears in some level as a Neutral Hostile, preferably a fiery level with a lot of lava.

Attracted by: N/A; neutral

Torture: The phoenix is stuffed into a giant bucket of water (inside the table) and held down. (Lots of steam comes out of the water bucket)

The Awakening

Default Re: Phoenix

Well, I'm not one of th four horsemen of balance, but it looks okay to me.
    But will it also like the Maiden? Because she has an affinity for fire.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinKing View Post
    But will it also like the Maiden? Because she has an affinity for fire.
    Depends on to what extent Rex's revision will keep the fire affinity. In present state, I'd say yes.

The Awakening

I like it, although Heal seems a bit unneccesary on it? I don't know, if it's supposed to be a glass cannon the ability to heal seems a bit counter to it's role. Plus, it can resurrect, so that makes it a little redundant?

There was a phoenix or some other bird suggestion before.

No birds in dungeons. mkay?
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

To be fair, Phoenixes aren't technically avian, unless they are flesh and bone. When they are made of fire, they simply aren't birds. A man made of fire or clay is no longer a mammal... he's made of bloody fire. A salamander made of fire isn't a reptile (not in DK2s case which is obviously made of flesh).

Birds have:
    -feathers
    -beaks
    -bones
    -air sacs
    -gizzards
    -feet

This wouldn't be a bird. It doesn't even have to be linked to one... just a flying creature made of fire.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Hapuga View Post

I know I did agree to this mindset way in the past, but I now think saying just "no birds" is just an old cranky statement, without thought placed behind it. The phoenix can easily be worked in to fit in the dungeon, because what MeinCookie said, phoenixes are not that close to real birds at all. I don't think there's that much of a problem when it's made small enough that it still easily fits in a 1 tile wide corridor.

Besides, there's already an avian-based creature in the game (though granted, that one is quite different).

The Awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Hapuga View Post

I don't see why not, considering the presence of the Fairy who seems much less comfortable in a dungeon than a fiery elemental in bird form would.

Also, there could be some in-universe justification that they were used in dungeons similarely to canaries? Just an awkward thought.