Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skyrim

Default Re: Skyrim

+1 to what Hapuga said.... don't play much these days

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Consoles Suck XFIRE ID: Searingflame2 Steam ID: Admortis

I can appreciate that. Nothing like the favorites.

Though once my exams are over, I'm due for some of the longest holidays of my life, bar retirement. So I will have plenty of time to kill.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Oh dear, it's been an eternity I bought a recent game 'cause 99,99% of the time, I can't afford to get it, or I'm not intereted to it, or my PC isn't good enough for it, or I'm too busy.

This causes me to keep enjoying good old free abandonware games.

I could name games, very popular ones, and you'd answer: "What??? You didn't play that game??????"
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

I've played both Stronghold 3 & Skyrim (PC version).

Stronghold 3 was a long awaited release. However, whoever did the graphics for that game did an absolute abysmal performance. The graphics look like they're from 2004 instead of 2011. It put me off quite a bit, and their map editor is a sack of garbage. Plus it uses Steam. I hate steam, I absolutely refuse to use Steam for games. So it went back to the store.

Skyrim, however, went (mostly) beyond expectations. There are 2 things wrong with the game: 1: The publishers were absolutely lazy pissants, and instead of creating a seperate version for PC's, they decided to port it over from console (HORRIBLE IDEA!). The UI is an absolute piece of sh!t, and most people don't like it. A person with an account name DarN, is supposedly (from what I've read) has already started to try and work on a new UI for Skyrim, which is great, seeing as the original is a sack of crap. Whoever designed the UI, they did a horrible job, and I honestly hope their stupidity got them fired. The creators are lazy pissants for porting it over from the console in the first place. So right now, Skyrim would get a 4/5 from me.

Stronghold3 on the other hand, I didn't like, it went back to the store.
    Last edited by Richardf269; November 19th, 2011 at 00:12. Reason: Replaced "think" with "hope".

I could understand why people hated Steam 5 years ago, when it was buggy and people had shitty internet. I refuse to understand why some people hate it now.

Regarding SH3 - easily my greatest disappointment of the year in videogames.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hapuga View Post
    I could understand why people hated Steam 5 years ago, when it was buggy and people had shitty internet. I refuse to understand why some people hate it now.

Don't get me wrong, I love steam personally by virtue of the fact that it saves me time and money. But plenty of the world has slower, more expensive internet with infinitely lower download caps than most of the US. If I want to download a game from Steam, I basically have two options - ration the living hell out of my onpeak usage for the rest of the month, or wake up at 2am to start the download and make sure it ends by 8.
    And with a massive download, that can easily take 2-3 nights worth of downloading, when I could install in maybe 45 minutes from a disk.

And then there are people who have constant technical issues. But I put that down to their own awful hardware - blaming steam for it is quite unfair.

I don't use Steam because it would mean I have to use their BS program just to register my game due to their ridiculous way of Anti-piracy crap with their "no-cd cracks" stance. If you don't want people cracking your game, then don't put stupid cd-checks in the game. CD checks are in all honesty, the dumbest way to "Anti-Piracy". Just makes me WANT to get a cd-crack. I absolutely refuse to put my cd in the drive every time I want to play a game (and I own quite a good number of games in boxes). And I'm willing to bet there are quite a few people who have this same thought.

EA Games is very well known for their Anti-Piracy crap that puts off a lot of people, not to mention they don't care about their games when they reach a certain age (Nascar 2003 Season is a good example). Which is why I boycotted their games. I don't want to register my game to their stupid servers (Steam, too) just because they don't want people puttin' in cd-cracks. It took them a good while for them to put out the patch 1.5 for BF2 (Battlefield 2), not to mention the 1.5 patch has it's own cd-crack in it (Battlefield 2142 is the same way).

For Steam, there are only 2 ways to get their games: 1: Buying the box from the store, or 2: If the stores no longer sell the game, you can only download it from Steam. And I don't do that option. I want the actual disc in my possession. I have DSL, and it's slow as shit (125KB/s, which is fricken lame). So I'm not interested in downloading it at home (and if the file is 2.5 gigs (roughly), I can download it in 8-10 hours when I'm asleep). I only have Steam for a friend list. That's it. Skyrim's the only exception to this, assuming some really good mods come out (particularly DarkN's UI mod, if it's able to be done like he did for Oblivion).

And yes, people do blame Steam quite often, which doesn't really effect me any at all.

I also looked up the "Internet availability" list. The United States has one of the poorest internet bandwidth on the planet. There are a few other countries that have it worse, but a lot of other countries (namely the Netherlands), have much higher bandwidth availability than other countries. Namely because the U.S. is almost completely full of greedy turd companies (namely EA Games who keeps buying out so many games to take out their stupid competition). And yes, I'm American.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Richardf269 View Post
    I don't use Steam because it would mean I have to use their BS program just to register my game due to their ridiculous way of Anti-piracy crap with their "no-cd cracks" stance. If you don't want people cracking your game, then don't put stupid cd-checks in the game. CD checks are in all honesty, the dumbest way to "Anti-Piracy". Just makes me WANT to get a cd-crack. I absolutely refuse to put my cd in the drive every time I want to play a game (and I own quite a good number of games in boxes). And I'm willing to bet there are quite a few people who have this same thought.

EA Games is very well known for their Anti-Piracy crap that puts off a lot of people, not to mention they don't care about their games when they reach a certain age (Nascar 2003 Season is a good example). Which is why I boycotted their games. I don't want to register my game to their stupid servers (Steam, too) just because they don't want people puttin' in cd-cracks. It took them a good while for them to put out the patch 1.5 for BF2 (Battlefield 2), not to mention the 1.5 patch has it's own cd-crack in it (Battlefield 2142 is the same way).

For Steam, there are only 2 ways to get their games: 1: Buying the box from the store, or 2: If the stores no longer sell the game, you can only download it from Steam. And I don't do that option. I want the actual disc in my possession. I have DSL, and it's slow as shit (125KB/s, which is fricken lame). So I'm not interested in downloading it at home (and if the file is 2.5 gigs (roughly), I can download it in 8-10 hours when I'm asleep). I only have Steam for a friend list. That's it. Skyrim's the only exception to this, assuming some really good mods come out (particularly DarkN's UI mod, if it's able to be done like he did for Oblivion).

And yes, people do blame Steam quite often, which doesn't really effect me any at all.

I also looked up the "Internet availability" list. The United States has one of the poorest internet bandwidth on the planet. There are a few other countries that have it worse, but a lot of other countries (namely the Netherlands), have much higher bandwidth availability than other countries. Namely because the U.S. is almost completely full of greedy turd companies (namely EA Games who keeps buying out so many games to take out their stupid competition). And yes, I'm American.
    Is a Steam anti piracy system any worse of an anti piracy system than others before it?

I've never bought a physical copy of a game that I've needed to register to Steam, so I'm kind of inexperienced in the field. Do you need both a CD in the drive and to be logged into steam to get them to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Searingflame2 View Post
    Is a Steam anti piracy system any worse of an anti piracy system than others before it?

I've never bought a physical copy of a game that I've needed to register to Steam, so I'm kind of inexperienced in the field. Do you need both a CD in the drive and to be logged into steam to get them to work?
    No, you don't need both. I just prefer buying the game from the store because I have a shitty internet speed. Plus Steam still does use some type of "checking" your game if it's legit in some way. Plus, the only way you can play Steam games are if you have an active internet connection (and you need to register the game with Steam if you bought the box version). And you have to have an internet connection even if you want an offline account. So yeah...Steam can kiss my white ass.