Thread: [Bug] Zoom To Creature Problem

Default [Bug] Zoom To Creature Problem (and about 10 more)

I have discovered a bug in KeeperFX: When you right-click on a creature's icon on the creature panel (to zoom to that creature), sometimes the zoom-to will get stuck and continue moving outside the map. I have attempted to replicate this bug many times and still cannot determine the exact circumstances to which it will occur. All I know with 99% certainty is that:

- The creature must be moving somewhere. (I tried 50 times with Horny in his bed to no avail)
    - You must be navigating the view at the same time with the arrow keys.
    - The view must be close to the creature.
    - It works with right-clicking on any column, but I mostly tried with the 'most experienced' column as it was easier with Horny's tendency to change from idle to working.

I'm quite sure it has something to do with what direction the creature is moving in, as well as what direction the creature is from the view and what arrow keys are being pressed at the same time.

I have uploaded a video of several attempts to replicated it with a Horned Reaper, before getting it right (I think it was the 4th or 5th try). I am unsure how to view the video (mplayer?) so hopefully the correct data is contained within it. Perhaps someone else could try to replicate it as well?

game0000.zip (28.4mb) - Box.net

Also on a more minor note, hovering the mouse over creatures in the fight dialogue at the bottom of the screen will show the creature you're holding in the way, which is slightly annoying. Screenshot:

Just found another, and this is the first time playing FX! O_o Creatures don't always return to full size after recovering from the chicken spell. This level 8 Horned Reaper is the size of a level 1. Screenshot:

Ok... 4 bugs in 20 mins. This is fun! Picking up Horny via the creature panel after he was chicken spelled. Screenshot:

And a 5th...! Possessing a creature AFTER it has been chicken spelled will still give you full control. A screenshot wouldn't really explain much here. That chicken spell sure is dodgy!

That's all for now! Keep up the good work, Mefisto!
    Last edited by Gold Knight; November 21st, 2011 at 12:13.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: [Bug] Zoom To Creature Problem

These two bugs actually existed in the original game, if I'm not mistaken.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    These two bugs actually existed in the original game, if I'm not mistaken.
    All the bugs relating to the chicken spell, yes. But in all my 12 years of playing this game, I have never encountered the zoom-to bug or the fight-dialogue-held-creature-display bug. The first time I ran KeeperFX I noticed them so I'm fairly sure it's specific to KeeperFX.

On a side note, I've only ever played Dungeon Keeper Gold edition. This was present in the original game. (Gold could possibly contain fixes that previous versions don't, I am unsure)

More bugs ahoy!

My level 10 dragon decides he wants to do some training. Screenshot:

Using the query tool via the numpad 0 key on two consecutive creatures will result in the the side-panel selected at the time not showing the correct information. Screenshot:

Querying this imp reveals the cool-down to the speed spell is sometimes not activated when the imp activates it. In FX, I've noticed that Speed runs out shortly before it can be reactivated. Screenshot:

Although there are at least 20 bugs I could mention, I will mainly post ones that I actually encounter, like these corner stone walls not being removed when both adjacent walls are turned to dirt (tile is claimed). This bug was present in the original game. Screenshot:

Also, three more things. 1: Several sound effects are not playing correctly and are cut off. I've noticed water splashes and when the meteor spell collides with creatures do not play their sound effects completely.

2: which should be fairly noticeable: When a creature is frozen and you are in possession of the frozen creature, the first-person view will not display light blue.

And 3: Imps don't seem to automatically find corpses and take them to the graveyard. Here is a video of my 16 idle imps standing around two corpses before I have to actually drop them in place:

game0001.zip (20.5mb) - Box.net
    Last edited by Gold Knight; November 21st, 2011 at 12:06.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Yeah, I also experienced the "Zoom to" bug a few times which caused the screen to scroll all the map and loop back until it reaches the same spot we started to zoom. It mostly happens when we hold an arrow key while you ask for the zoom, if I'm not wrong. I need to test about that.

The second point is a good point. It would be nice if the cursor would stay an arrow, a ? for query or a spell cursor in the combat panel.

The "shrunken creature" bug after they are cured from Chicken spell is known. It was present into the original game. It happens when you grab the unchickened'creature immediately after you drop it into the temple's border. The game will "keep" its size in memory and will stay that size until chickened again. To prevent that, we should make sure that the creature isn't grabbable while he's being cured and it's only possible through the code.

For the fourth point, that seems to be weird indeed, but I wonder if correcting the previous bug would also correct that one as well.

For fifth point, that would also be a thing to fix.

For the level 10 dragon that wants to train, it's not a bug: you surely activated "Increase level" bonus box when he was level 9 and was moving toward the Training room to get that extra level while you did so. Sure, perhaps we could make sort that all level 9 creatures that become level 10 stop training, but it would be a problem with creatures that morph to a stronger creature like the Demon Spawn and the Thief. Anyway, here, the level 10 dragon will reach the Training room and when he'll notice his level, he will turn back and go to bed.

About query, yeah, it may occurs that we keep following the creature when there's no more information displayed about him when, for example, we select another panel. Maybe it would be a nice idea to fix it.

For the speed spell thing, I don't totally catch what do you mean. Are you talking about the fact where the spell's effects are applied on the Imp when nothing happened in his spell table? Because, yeah, it may happens sometimes, and not only for the Speed spell.

For the corners in stone walls that don't turn to earth, is it really a bug? The game only removes the walls when they're next to an opened area. Anyway, you can dig next to the wall and claim the tile to remove the fortification of the wall so I don't see where's the problem.

About the sounds, that's a known bug. The blue screen not showing bug while frozen is also known (I remember reported it it's been a while). Finally, the imps not dragging corpses is also known it's been a while too.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Ghost

Lot of bugs! mefisto will have work for at least a few weeks xD

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Yeah, but most of them are minor and were already into the original game.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...