Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SOPA

Default SOPA

Calling all Americans! If you haven't heard of SOPA yet, look it up. Here is an easy way to contact your representatives in Congress, if you find this idea as horrible as I do. And here is a list of unintended uses of DMCA over the years, if you need more convincing that SOPA = very bad idea.

Default Re: SOPA

Not this kind of shit again...

I guess those American government people will never learn.

The Awakening

This is ridiculous, the Government just needs to back the hell away from this. Seriously, things are fine the way they are, software companies are surviving and thriving without the help of another damn bill.
    Why does it always seem like average people know better than the government?

No, the American government is never going to learn. Its bad, because the whole world blames Americans for the government's choices. Theoretically, that makes sense- we elected the idiots, right? Too bad we can't force people to run for government office; when you can vote for idiot #1, liar #2, and tyrant #3, its no good no matter who wins.

Average people know better because elected officials are career politicians- they have never had real jobs, they associate with people who are rich and famous, and they think they know better than the rest of us because of those two facts. Early American history is filled with good politicians and a few dorks; now we have the opposite.

Are elected officials as messed up in other countries? Or do we Americans hold the dubious honor of "being number 1"?

Quote Originally Posted by Xan View Post
    we elected the idiots, right?
    This may be a shocking discovery for some children, but the kin always selects someone, considered to be an excellent representation of their view of a good leader. In other words, people select someone, who is very much alike, someone who represents the inhabitants of this country by their beliefs, desires, abilities and vision. Why? Because the leaders you choose, come from the same people as you do. Leaders you choose are the same people as you, or your neighbour are. They do not come from another planet. And they represent you perfectly.

If you selected idiots, you better come close to the mirror. You government is the reflection of yourselves. Each country deserves the government they have.

Please, do not drag political waste to this forum. Please.
    Last edited by Hapuga; November 22nd, 2011 at 05:12.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Consoles Suck XFIRE ID: Searingflame2 Steam ID: Admortis

Each country deserves the government it has? Harsh, bro.

Things can get worse across the span of a term. Or a generation.

And sometimes the alternatives aren't obvious. They don't get a lick of media attention - generally for the very reason that they don't sell out their souls to make it in politics.

And on a slight (significant) tangent...
    I've got a degree of envy for you folks in America (in the following particular area; otherwise I'm of the opinion that you're poor sods). You can choose not to vote. But in 2013, I'll be able to (sorry, I'm legally obligated to) vote in my very first election - and I can choose between, as South Park might put it, a douche and a turd. Of course, I can preference the Greens, but the odds of them getting a big enough vote in my electorate are slim to nil. And then my vote will flow to the turd.

Things can only get worse if your degree of tolerance is very high. Otherwise, the people will rebel against the current rulers and choose new.

Now, don't misinterpret the "rebel" term. It may be as official and correct as impeachment.

Remember, revolution is like a limb amputation. It is necessary only when the last drop falls. If the people are fairly clever, they will heal the imperfect government by changing leaders timely.

If you want to have good leaders, start from yourself. Have an active position, be intelligent. Research, don't take things for granted. And of course, vote.

I am 90% sure, that you know nothing about those "douche" and "turd"s plans and goals. You call them like that because somebody did.
    Do you know what strategies and improvements do they offer? Are you able to compare the suggestions' estimated costs and benefits to the current situations in economy? do you know what outcomes will these changes cause in the short and long run? Can you predict what outcomes will be more beneficial for your country? Global economy?

I hear too many times, that some politic is a "douche" or a "turd", but when I ask "why?" I cannot get a clear answer, and when I ask "are you familiar with the politician's plans, and what do you think of them?" 95% suddenly know nothing.

Stupid, ignorant people, who then complain about how imperfect their government is. Medieval ages at their best.
    Last edited by Hapuga; November 22nd, 2011 at 09:48.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Consoles Suck XFIRE ID: Searingflame2 Steam ID: Admortis

Quote Originally Posted by Hapuga View Post
    Things can only get worse if your degree of tolerance is very high. Otherwise, the people will rebel against the current rulers and choose new.

Now, don't misinterpret the "rebel" term. It may be as official and correct as impeachment.

Remember, revolution is like a limb amputation. It is necessary only when the last drop falls. If the people are fairly clever, they will heal the imperfect government by changing leaders timely.

If you want to have good leaders, start from yourself. Have an active position, be intelligent. Research, don't take things for granted. And of course, vote.

I am 90% sure, that you know nothing about those "douche" and "turd"s plans and goals. You call them like that because somebody did.
    Do you know what strategies and improvements do they offer? Are you able to compare the suggestions' estimated costs and benefits to the current situations in economy? do you know what outcomes will these changes cause in the short and long run? Can you predict what outcomes will be more beneficial for your country? Global economy?

I hear too many times, that some politic is a "douche" or a "turd", but when I ask "why?" I cannot get a clear answer, and when I ask "are you familiar with the politician's plans, and what do you think of them?" 95% suddenly know nothing.

Stupid, ignorant people, who then complain about how imperfect their government is. Medieval ages at their best.
    The main reason I'm into the whole 'douche' and 'turd' perspective is because neither of the two major parties have what I perceive to be progressive social policies (gay marriage and the like). In fact, they're a tad regressive - what with refugees getting it harder than ever before. Don't get me wrong, Australia's horrific population density is a PERFECTLY GOOD REASON TO REJECT REFUGEES. Except for when you use logic.

The only party that has social policies I agree with are the Greens - but their economic ideals aren't viable, and would reduce Australia's ability to compete in the global market, which sucks. I can be socially satisfied, or economically satisfied, but not both at the same time - not without some very delicate balance of power in Government which, even if I personally got to choose exactly who got in power, probably wouldn't represent me anyway.

No doubt there is an alternative candidate who is an independent in some electorate or another which I could absolutely get behind. But they'd never get the kind of publicity required to get the message across, and they'd never get in government.

Also, Tony Abbott is just an excruciatingly ignorant man with no connection to the people.

But I'm still young. I don't know exactly what I want. I know that I loathe partisan politics, but also that trustee/delegate politics results in all of no legislation getting through. Maybe I'm on board with a good friend of mine who believes anarchy is the best course. I don't know what I want - but I do know it ain't what is on offer.

Because the leaders you choose, come from the same people as you do. Leaders you choose are the same people as you, or your neighbour are. They do not come from another planet. And they represent you perfectly.

If you selected idiots, you better come close to the mirror. You government is the reflection of yourselves. Each country deserves the government they have.
    No, they are not the same as me and my neighbors, and that is the problem. I'm not sure how it works in other countries, but in the US, you need lots of money to run for major political offices. As I said before, most career politicians have never really had other jobs, which leads to a disconnect with society. They spend all their time among one class of said society, and not enough time rubbing shoulders with the rest of us. They take on the values and attitudes of the minority they associate with most frequently, and over the decades of their various political jobs, become quite different from most Americans.

Then when it comes to actually voting for somebody like President, we only have so many options. Our two political parties put together potentials, and we the people can only vote for someone who is running. Sure, anybody could run, but without support from one of the two major parties, you're only dreaming. And the people supported by those two parties? Always career politicos. And why is it impossible for any other person to get elected? The two-party system is too ingrained in our society. The media basically ignores other candidates.

Speaking of the media, once candidates are chosen, its very hard to know what is true and what isn't true about them. Rumors "make good news", and so do half-truths, lies, and occasionally, the real truth.

For America at least, you are naive if you think you know everything about a candidate, and naive if you think the voting process operates the same way it used to, the way our Founding Fathers envisioned. That said, I cannot help but admit a majority of Americans do not put forth the effort to at least try and sort through the rubbish- many just vote for their party's candidate without question.

The problem with most Americans is they're too chicken shit to throw riots/revolutions, unlike the people in the U.K. In the U.K., revolutions/non-violent riots are actually encouraged. If the government took away their NIHS system, their population would completely throw out a revolution.

The American people won't, simply because they're too afraid, thanks to the government. This coming vote, I won't be voting for Democrats or Republicans, seeing as they're both basically the same stupid party in the first place: They both cater to the rich. And I certainly won't be voting for the stupid Tea Party either, seeing as they basically just do the same thing.

The problem with most Americans is not even half of them actually vote, simply because it's NOT mandatory, which it actually should be. I think in Australia that it's mandatory to vote, and you get a fine for NOT voting. Or maybe that's Canada, I don't remember.