Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

  
  1. #11
    Elite Dragon Mothrayas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,635

    Default Re: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    There have been (radical) thoughts flying in my head that might be somewhat controversial, at least at this point/stage. I bring out the most pressing one out.

    Why do we have levels in a RPG? Yes, it does serves an indicator of strength/experience of a Creature/Hero but I think a descriptions should be more logical and says more than a number from a roleplay stand of view. For example, Drell in the Crystalbarrow realm is an ancient dragon, pointing out his status as a formidable threat. Searingflame was also kind enough to add in the roleplay posts involving Drell various descriptions that further enhance his status. That’s also what a RPG is about, novel writing.

    ‘’Oh look, that dragon is level 10 elite boss. OK I quit this realm!’’

    I do understand with having no levels, and a bit more freedom regarding abilities, it opens up the possibility for somewhat more godmodding. On the other hand, I think levels bog down the activity by halting the progress because of the threats that Creatures can face at that point in. But I think if we all go not over-the-top with this it can be rather manageable. This is something I want to put to the test in the current defunct Test Realms forums.

    What do you think of this?
    I dunno, Levels worked pretty much fine imo. Otherwise there isn't really any 'development' to be had for your character at all, which doesn't really work imo. I think it's good like how it is now, maybe have creatures generally level up faster or further so that we can unlock more of their potential anyway. Obviously Drell is a special case, but he isn't like a playable unit, so he could play by different rules.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    To come back to the point of this thread, what limit would you like to see then? 6 to 8 sounds fair enough to me if people can handle that many Creatures. But I do not want to see one-man-armies RP’ing with and by all themselves.
    I wasn't thinking of a radical change, just something like 3 units per realm and 5-6 units total. That shouldn't be too bad with the one-man-armying.

    The Awakening


  2. #12
    Vampire MeinCookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Terra Australis, The Overworld
    Posts
    1,887
    Gamer IDs

    XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

    Default Re: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

    Also levels help you gauge the strength of enemies. Maybe don't give levels to Bosses? Just mark their level as 'Boss' or 'Unknown'.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic


    Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

    Current Awakening Creatures


    8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

  3. #13
    Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,624

    Default Re: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    There have been (radical) thoughts flying in my head that might be somewhat controversial, at least at this point/stage. I bring out the most pressing one out.

    Why do we have levels in a RPG? Yes, it does serves an indicator of strength/experience of a Creature/Hero but I think a descriptions should be more logical and says more than a number from a roleplay stand of view. For example, Drell in the Crystalbarrow realm is an ancient dragon, pointing out his status as a formidable threat. Searingflame was also kind enough to add in the roleplay posts involving Drell various descriptions that further enhance his status. That’s also what a RPG is about, novel writing.

    ‘’Oh look, that dragon is level 10 elite boss. OK I quit this realm!’’

    I do understand with having no levels, and a bit more freedom regarding abilities, it opens up the possibility for somewhat more godmodding. On the other hand, I think levels bog down the activity by halting the progress because of the threats that Creatures can face at that point in. But I think if we all go not over-the-top with this it can be rather manageable. This is something I want to put to the test in the current defunct Test Realms forums.

    What do you think of this?
    Unit Levels and Class seem fairly important to me. Without them, there is no way for a Player to properly judge his character compared to his opponent. Therefore, even if a Player means well, they may accidentally godmod either in their favor or against them. Though in my experience as Northland Leader, it seems as if people desire to generally have battles that are hard fought and their characters barely come out as heavily battle worn victors. This may also be due to the fact that people don't want to break the rules and unintentionally godmod by obtaining an easy kill against an easy opponent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    To come back to the point of this thread, what limit would you like to see then? 6 to 8 sounds fair enough to me if people can handle that many Creatures. But I do not want to see one-man-armies RP’ing with and by all themselves.
    A total max of 8 Units with a sub limit of 2 per realm is fine to me. Or something like what Mothrayas suggested is also fine. If we have more Units per realm, it allows for us to spare more characters for realms that are more active due to more active Keepers. Having a higher max set of Units helps the more active RPers to contribute more. If I had 8 Units back when I was younger and had a lot of time to spare, I could have single handedly kept the entire RPG alive I bet.

    As for one man armies, well I think if we give more Creatures for active RPers to use, we shouldn't see any of that. Unless we get a real god modder in here, but he'd probably just get removed from the RPG anyways.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

    The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

    LOL, WFTO

  4. #14
    Elite Dragon Mothrayas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,635

    Default Re: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

    Quote Originally Posted by MeinCookie View Post
    Also levels help you gauge the strength of enemies. Maybe don't give levels to Bosses? Just mark their level as 'Boss' or 'Unknown'.
    Yeah, I'm thinking the same pretty much.

    The Awakening


  5. #15
    Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,624

    Default Re: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking the same pretty much.
    Or break the game and give them a level beyond 10.

    That's also something to think about. Should we stick with 10 levels to go with the traditional Dungeon Keeper? Or maybe we could increase it to 20 or something. At some point not far from now, all our characters will be maxed out at Level 10 when we transfer from realm to realm. There won't be anything for them to do and they'd have an easy time killing lesser Creatures. The realm may become laughably easy. It'd be like abusing the Transfer Creature special in DK1, except with an army.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

    The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

    LOL, WFTO

  6. #16
    Vampire MeinCookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Terra Australis, The Overworld
    Posts
    1,887
    Gamer IDs

    XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

    Default Re: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

    Transfer costs would limit far before Level 10 is reached, unless you don't move them about... and that is just boring. Also Keepers/Realm Masters should take that into account and scale enemies to the average abilities of their creatures.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic


    Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

    Current Awakening Creatures


    8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

  7. #17
    Dungeon Keeper Duke Ragereaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Re: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

    Well, regarding marking enemies. Quite frankly that was something I also wanted to bring up in increasing the level cap.

    Something in the lines of:

    • Level 1 to 10 is normal, standard. The trainingsroom level cap can be raised for this.
    • Beyond level 10 is the elite status and start all over again from level 1. So level 1 elite is, so to speak, the level 11 equivalent. The level 10 elite status should be the maximum level the players can reach at this point. Elite status cannot be lost when transferring.
    • Then you have boss statuses, which is the equivalence of 21-30.
    • Elite bosses, 31-40.
    • Unknown or All-Powerful, 41-9001.



    Hmmmm, I think I almost can start a MMORPG with this when I think about it!
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; January 11th, 2012 at 13:51.


    Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

    Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

  8. #18
    Elite Dragon Mothrayas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,635

    Default Re: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    Or break the game and give them a level beyond 10.
    Pretty much the same thing, except you're actually displaying an out of proportion number just so that you still have something to gauge from. IMO it seems worse than just not displaying a number.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    That's also something to think about. Should we stick with 10 levels to go with the traditional Dungeon Keeper? Or maybe we could increase it to 20 or something.
    And then what? We get everything to level 20, have godstrength and beat up the entire RPG to a bloody pulp using hax powers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    At some point not far from now, all our characters will be maxed out at Level 10 when we transfer from realm to realm.
    Purely random, as well as unlikely assertion. I'll have you reminded that the highest level any player controlled creature has reached is 5. (I'm pretty sure nobody ever got to level 6, or even above that.) That is in an RPG which has lasted for over 2 years now. That's just halfway through reaching level 10, and that's even assuming that leveling up goes linear - especially at the later levels, I'd think more that the rate of gaining levels is logarithmic, so we'd be years away from reaching a level 10 creature - if not at least several months.

    Saying it'll happen at some point "not far from now" is simply a ridiculous statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    There won't be anything for them to do and they'd have an easy time killing lesser Creatures. The realm may become laughably easy. It'd be like abusing the Transfer Creature special in DK1, except with an army.
    Well, of course the story would need to adapt to the level 10 creature army. What that means is, that we'd probably just get an army of level 10 units thrown at us. That'll leave enough to do.

    The Awakening


  9. #19
    Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,624

    Default Re: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    Well, regarding marking enemies. Quite frankly that was something I also wanted to bring up in increasing the level cap.

    Something in the lines of:

    • Level 1 to 10 is normal, standard. The trainingsroom level cap can be raised for this.
    • Beyond level 10 is the elite status and start all over again from level 1. So level 1 elite is, so to speak, the level 11 equivalent. The level 10 elite status should be the maximum level the players can reach at this point. Elite status cannot be lost when transferring.
    • Then you have boss statuses, which is the equivalence of 21-30.
    • Elite bosses, 31-40.
    • Unknown or All-Powerful, 41-9001.
    I like this idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    Hmmmm, I think I almost can start a MMORPG with this when I think about it!
    You might as well at this point. It'll help us finish the realms faster :P
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

    The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

    LOL, WFTO

  10. #20
    Vampire MeinCookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Terra Australis, The Overworld
    Posts
    1,887
    Gamer IDs

    XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

    Default Re: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

    I do like the idea of becoming an 'Elite' past Level 10, because you get up to level 10, say you did do that, and move between realms twice and you've lost that.

    1
    2
    3
    4
    5
    6
    7
    8
    9
    10
    1E
    2E
    3E
    ...

    It offers a way to get around that, and it rings with Elites in DK 2. Boss statuses seem fairly decent too.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic


    Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

    Current Awakening Creatures


    8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 13th, 2012, 08:50
  2. [Split] Discussion on hand creature limit and gamer skill
    By Metal Gear Rex in forum War for the Overworld
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: October 14th, 2011, 23:34
  3. Creatures Limit
    By Replica in forum KeeperFX
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: June 30th, 2011, 13:39
  4. Which Creature is That?
    By Metal Gear Rex in forum Silly
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: February 21st, 2010, 18:02

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •