Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Default Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

It has been brought up more than a few times, but in the light of the long peroids of inactivity and WftO moving it might be time to actually discuss this. For a long time WftO and the Awakening were pretty much the twin pillars of KK. I believe that a strong Awakening is more important now.

The problem I see is that to keep realms active/semi-active on a bare minimum of people you need to 'double-up' creatures, but that makes it hard to fan the flames of activity elsewhere and keep a presence across the entire RPG. You can either spread your 4 creatures across all realms and forego extra posting power, or else concentrate them and be unable aide other realms if activity shifts.

The test realm, if nothing else, proved that larger numbers of creatures can be maintained. At any rate with WftO branching outwards into its own game, that section is pretty much useless and might as well be deleted. Furthermore, laxing or removal of this would have minimal effect on individual realms as the 2 creature per realm still prevents overcrowding.

I would like to see others opinions on this.
    Last edited by MeinCookie; January 9th, 2012 at 13:22.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Default Re: Heavanarius Creature Limit (Opinions?)

Honestly, with the RP having been almost down for a very long time, I think we should maybe get more lax on the rules concerning creature limits, because if it gets too restrictive it will just die again.

The downside to that is that Duke will have more work on it, and he's already not quite active sometimes.

The Awakening

Gamer IDs

If we can get Crystalbarrow finished and another realm started, that too will be a boost.

Probably still going to take quite a while, looking at circumstances. Even after the whole Drell thing (and I don't know how much further that one can be stretched), there's still the entire Hero dungeon on the map which probably also takes a long time.

The Awakening

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    Probably still going to take quite a while, looking at circumstances. Even after the whole Drell thing (and I don't know how much further that one can be stretched), there's still the entire Hero dungeon on the map which probably also takes a long time.
    Could go the easy way out and just have the Hero Fortress be a single empty room with a Hero Gate. We'll just say that Lord Christopher is a cheapskate.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NEVEC DARKBLADE Steam ID: blackdragonknight254

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    Honestly, with the RP having been almost down for a very long time, I think we should maybe get more lax on the rules concerning creature limits, because if it gets too restrictive it will just die again.

The downside to that is that Duke will have more work on it, and he's already not quite active sometimes.
    Can we consider have other people (people who have worked with duke the most) begin doing the same?

Gamer IDs

Dragonslover also used to, but he stepped down.

Quote Originally Posted by ARMofORION View Post
    Can we consider have other people (people who have worked with duke the most) begin doing the same?
    I was considering something like that too, but it's pretty much up to Duke to decide something like that.

The Awakening

There have been (radical) thoughts flying in my head that might be somewhat controversial, at least at this point/stage. I bring out the most pressing one out.

Why do we have levels in a RPG? Yes, it does serves an indicator of strength/experience of a Creature/Hero but I think a descriptions should be more logical and says more than a number from a roleplay stand of view. For example, Drell in the Crystalbarrow realm is an ancient dragon, pointing out his status as a formidable threat. Searingflame was also kind enough to add in the roleplay posts involving Drell various descriptions that further enhance his status. That’s also what a RPG is about, novel writing.

‘’Oh look, that dragon is level 10 elite boss. OK I quit this realm!’’

I do understand with having no levels, and a bit more freedom regarding abilities, it opens up the possibility for somewhat more godmodding. On the other hand, I think levels bog down the activity by halting the progress because of the threats that Creatures can face at that point in. But I think if we all go not over-the-top with this it can be rather manageable. This is something I want to put to the test in the current defunct Test Realms forums.

What do you think of this?

To come back to the point of this thread, what limit would you like to see then? 6 to 8 sounds fair enough to me if people can handle that many Creatures. But I do not want to see one-man-armies RP’ing with and by all themselves.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Gamer IDs

6 seems reasonable to me, if anyone can manage that. It still means that you can't max out every realm. The trick is to keep the realm limits in place. As long as realm max remains at two, you won't see large groupings form.

That said.. there was something I was talking to NK about a while back, when he was briefly active. About turning the portal settlement in RCI into a kind of hub for the entire RPG? Where creatures from different realms can meet, talk, buy things?

Also how would you tie in abilities. ATM the RPG is really easy for any DK fans because it runs on the same mechanics... willing to try it tho. You should still consider wiping the Test Realms before you start though, because, well... it isn't really anything useful or relevant to DK anymore. Scorpions? Valkyries? Pixies? Thats WftO.
    Last edited by MeinCookie; January 11th, 2012 at 13:25.