Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 266

Thread: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

  
  1. #241
    Your Majesty Hapuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Austin, USA
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

    Thanks this is good info.
    Something controls where the creature appears in the creature list, however. For example, goblin always appears first, then followed by warlock. I would hope that that info is stored in the Creatures.KWD file. If it is - we are done, I will simply add the correct ID to display new creatures correctly.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

  2. #242
    Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,596

    Default Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hapuga View Post
    Thanks this is good info.
    Something controls where the creature appears in the creature list, however. For example, goblin always appears first, then followed by warlock. I would hope that that info is stored in the Creatures.KWD file. If it is - we are done, I will simply add the correct ID to display new creatures correctly.
    For Rooms, Traps, Doors, and Keeper Spells, I noticed there's an Introduction Index value, which is separate from the ID itself and seems to only change the order of which the icons are displayed in the editor. No 2 items can have the same value or it crashes, and it can also crash when you open up configuration and it tries to find an introduction index value that isn't there. In fact I think the bug with the Lair / Hatchery not being displayed is related to the editor not displaying Index values 1 / 2 (maybe because the DH / Portal are in those places instead and overwrite it?) because when I swapped the Lair and Library Indexes, saved and closed the editor then reloaded it, it did indeed cause the Lair to become visible but the Library not in the room tab. But I'm not entirely sure there and could probably test that more.

    I can't seem to find this introduction index value for Creature Types within the editor itself for some reason, I guess it's just not something I can access, but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

    If there's one thing the 5 of those types have in common, it's that the ID and the Introduction Index appear to be separate values by default. This is something I noticed for Creature Spells, Shots, Effects, and Effect Element Types, is that they're all displayed in perfect order by the ID, 1 to whatever, so even though I can't access the Introduction Index value for those, I'm sure it's the same as the ID.

    Terrain gets weird because I also can't access its Introduction Index, but it does start at ID 1 and continues normally up to 9 with Reinforced Walls, then jumps to 31 with Mana Vaults, then 32 with Claimed Vaults, and ends with Hero Lairs at 35. I can add a new Terrain Type and it starts at 39, and continues to go up by 1 every time, just like with Creature Spells, Shots, etc. So I guess the ID and Introduction Indexes are also the same with terrain, or at least the values don't jump around like they do with the initially described 5 types.

    I wonder if that's the sole reason why the editor can't add new Rooms, Traps, Doors, Keeper Spells or Creature Types, but it can add everything else just fine, because it has difficulty setting up either a new Introduction Index or a new ID for the new item and thus instantly crashes due to maybe a duplicate Index / ID value or something.

    Edit:
    Oh, and it may be important for there to not be any skipped Introduction Index values, as that may also be causing the editor to crash.
    Last edited by Metal Gear Rex; June 8th, 2018 at 21:57.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

    The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

    LOL, WFTO

  3. #243
    Your Majesty Hapuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Austin, USA
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    For Rooms, Traps, Doors, and Keeper Spells, I noticed there's an Introduction Index value, which is separate from the ID itself and seems to only change the order of which the icons are displayed in the editor. No 2 items can have the same value or it crashes, and it can also crash when you open up configuration and it tries to find an introduction index value that isn't there. In fact I think the bug with the Lair / Hatchery not being displayed is related to the editor not displaying Index values 1 / 2 (maybe because the DH / Portal are in those places instead and overwrite it?) because when I swapped the Lair and Library Indexes, saved and closed the editor then reloaded it, it did indeed cause the Lair to become visible but the Library not in the room tab. But I'm not entirely sure there and could probably test that more.

    I can't seem to find this introduction index value for Creature Types within the editor itself for some reason, I guess it's just not something I can access, but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

    If there's one thing the 5 of those types have in common, it's that the ID and the Introduction Index appear to be separate values by default. This is something I noticed for Creature Spells, Shots, Effects, and Effect Element Types, is that they're all displayed in perfect order by the ID, 1 to whatever, so even though I can't access the Introduction Index value for those, I'm sure it's the same as the ID.

    Terrain gets weird because I also can't access its Introduction Index, but it does start at ID 1 and continues normally up to 9 with Reinforced Walls, then jumps to 31 with Mana Vaults, then 32 with Claimed Vaults, and ends with Hero Lairs at 35. I can add a new Terrain Type and it starts at 39, and continues to go up by 1 every time, just like with Creature Spells, Shots, etc. So I guess the ID and Introduction Indexes are also the same with terrain, or at least the values don't jump around like they do with the initially described 5 types.

    I wonder if that's the sole reason why the editor can't add new Rooms, Traps, Doors, Keeper Spells or Creature Types, but it can add everything else just fine, because it has difficulty setting up either a new Introduction Index or a new ID for the new item and thus instantly crashes due to maybe a duplicate Index / ID value or something.

    Edit:
    Oh, and it may be important for there to not be any skipped Introduction Index values, as that may also be causing the editor to crash.
    Good stuff. By the end of today I will have all the creatures loaded in. I will let you know what I find regarding their numeration/ids.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

  4. #244
    OpenKeeper developer
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

    Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Well, if you ever feel like more hands on your project would be helpful, that would be the way to go. Adding a new unit to DK2 is a way to get your project noticed way beyond the community here.
    Perhaps you are right. But you must understand that these are two completely separate projects, with huge scope both. Each even requiring their own skill set. And in perfect world the people joining the project join to support the project goals. We don't need people adding new units to Dungeon Keeper 2. We might have some use for people that want to add new units and content to OpenKeeper (not at this stage though). And these two are again separate things. We support DK 2 content yes, but why would we limit ourselves to that since we are going to remove the DK 2 limitations and add support for modern stuff.

    Of course we support this work of yours. As I also hope you support us by giving back everything you might find. Our understanding of the file formats is based on the initial research done by the people on this very forum. It took us one year to add to that initial knowledge to be able to load pretty much everything. But it is not 100% complete what we have. But we even cracked the High scores format

    So yeah, ask us anything. For quick support we have the Discord channel.

  5. #245

    Default Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

    I wasn't the one doing any work, you're mixing me up with Hapuga.

    And I understand working on whatever for DK2 does not directly help OpenKeeper in any way. The way I suggest it may help you, is simply in getting the word out. I think having a new creature added to DK2 will be picked up on many news-sites and reach people who do not know OpenKeeper exists in the first place. Among those people might be a few with the right skills and motivations to help you on your project.
    But it seems you're in luck, that Hapuga is picking up the work in getting a new unit in DK2, so you'll get exposure without doing any DK2 specific work.

  6. #246
    OpenKeeper developer
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

    By "you" I was referring to people in this thread in general, and "we" as in OpenKeeper devs Yep, it is good that our work benefits people. You'll have new units in DK 2 faster than we'll have a v.1.0.

    The Creatures record we have the most gaps in, it is also the biggest of the map related records. Like the animation offsets, we know they are there but we don't know what they are used in. Things like these you might need to fiddle with to get the units aesthetically pleasing.

  7. #247
    Your Majesty Hapuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Austin, USA
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

    I rewrote most of the serialization code in C#. I am currently in the midst of parsing the creature object. Took me a bit longer than expected.

    The good thing is that for most of the creature add/remove functionality I don't have to care about the intricacies of the data. As the average user will never care about the subtle specifics. For now I will simply read and store all the unknown flags, and write them back for the "new" creature.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

  8. #248
    Your Majesty Hapuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Austin, USA
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hapuga View Post
    I rewrote most of the serialization code in C#. I am currently in the midst of parsing the creature object. Took me a bit longer than expected.

    The good thing is that for most of the creature add/remove functionality I don't have to care about the intricacies of the data. As the average user will never care about the subtle specifics. For now I will simply read and store all the unknown flags, and write them back for the "new" creature.
    I read all the creatures. The editor order is actually a separate parameter that is set directly for each creature, which is perfect for us.
    I am now writing the serialization back to the file. It is a lot of very tedious code
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

  9. #249
    Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,596

    Default Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hapuga View Post
    I read all the creatures. The editor order is actually a separate parameter that is set directly for each creature, which is perfect for us.
    I am now writing the serialization back to the file. It is a lot of very tedious code
    Thank you for putting in the effort.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

    The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

    LOL, WFTO

  10. #250
    Your Majesty Hapuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Austin, USA
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

    Okay, you ready for this?

    I read and wrote all data correctly. Adding new units is possible. It took me a while to understand the mechanism, but its all pretty trivial. Here I added a goblin copy to editor, to last slot (47).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ut6iqh.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1840

    And here the same goblin in game
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30u93k5.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	1841

    Aside from that I generated a file with all important creature data.
    id is the creature unique iD. Duplicates crash the editor.
    Editor ID is the Editor slot. odd is 1st row, even - second.
    Clone ID is for referencing. For example, all unique units reference their normal archetypes.
    The name may not be unique, but then the duplicate creature will share the pool of the original. Having a unique name will get it its own pool + icons.

    Cdata.txt
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Similar Threads

  1. Hive Keeper - Dungeon Keeper remake on Starcraft 2
    By Bibendus in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: June 25th, 2015, 17:52
  2. Unit, Balance & Gameplay changes
    By Skyman in forum KeeperFX
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2011, 15:50
  3. Dungeon Keeper 2 Windows 7 x64 1.8 patch has no Mentor Voice
    By vision in forum DK2 Troubleshooting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 11th, 2011, 07:33
  4. Re-balance needed?
    By mefistotelis in forum KeeperFX
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: September 11th, 2010, 06:35
  5. Dungeon Keeper v1.50 and v1.51 Patch Downloads
    By Jibbits in forum Dungeon Keeper 2
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 14th, 2009, 20:29

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •