Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problems editing dd1creat.txt

Default Problems editing dd1creat.txt

Hi all,

I have come across an issue with dd1creat.txt that I didn't get with creatures.txt, I cannot edit room costs in dd1creat without it crashing to dos prompt when you click on a Deeper Dungeons map to play, or it ignores my changes totally and sticks to default costs. It is only a minor thing but creatures.txt does not have this same issue, are the commands slightly different for the expansion?

Thanks!

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: Problems editing dd1creat.txt

They should be the same. Perhaps you are doing something wrong? Can you post the modifications you made to the Rooms? Are you using the same modifications for both the creature.txt file and the dd1creat.txt file?
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    They should be the same. Perhaps you are doing something wrong? Can you post the modifications you made to the Rooms? Are you using the same modifications for both the creature.txt file and the dd1creat.txt file?
    I am just manually deleting the old costs and adding in new values (using notepad), I seem to be able to change other information but not the actual room costs, I can't increase or decrease them without causing the game to crash =/

Quote Originally Posted by Lones View Post
    I am just manually deleting the old costs and adding in new values (using notepad), I seem to be able to change other information but not the actual room costs, I can't increase or decrease them without causing the game to crash =/
    Hmm, that shouldn't be. When I used to manually modify those files, I had no problems adjusting room costs. Though I do remember the game crashing if the creature.txt and dd1creat.txt files were not the same. Perhaps there is something wrong within your installation of the game? I'll have to try and test these things a bit once I have a good opportunity.

Tesonu is napping!

Hmm, that shouldn't be. When I used to manually modify those files, I had no problems adjusting room costs. Though I do remember the game crashing if the creature.txt and dd1creat.txt files were not the same. Perhaps there is something wrong within your installation of the game? I'll have to try and test these things a bit once I have a good opportunity.
    It would be nice if you could, I can't work out why it crashes. I have compared creatures.txt and dd1creat.txt and they are both the same from what I can tell. I'm running the game via dosbox (latest ver) because windows 7 refuses to work even with trying all compatability options (though i'm convinced none of them do anything since i've never once successfully got a game to work via compatability in Windows), I also find it is a far more stable game under dos, I remember back in win95 I used to get frequent crashes. The game is installed from my DK Gold cd-rom.

I have completed the game 4 or 5 times since I bought the game back in the day, (I return to it every few years since it's still better then the majority of new games, I also still regularly play the original Settlers) so I am fiddling about with various options in creatures/dd1creat to see how it affects a playthrough. The changes I made to creatures.txt worked fine, the same changes under dd1creat cause crashing.

I have re-installed it a number of times due to me not realising it was my changes to dd1creat that were causing the crash, the game works fine with the default settings and other none room cost changes (i've tried altering gold pile sizes and gold squares just to test it and they work fine).

Quote Originally Posted by Lones View Post
    I have compared creatures.txt and dd1creat.txt and they are both the same from what I can tell.
    Well you could, to be absolutely certain, make a copy of the creatures.txt file then rename it to dd1creat.txt. It's what I used to do to ensure that they were the same.

Tesonu is napping!

Well you could, to be absolutely certain, make a copy of the creatures.txt file then rename it to dd1creat.txt. It's what I used to do to ensure that they were the same.
    Actually that works, so there must be something in it i'm missing, changing the values manually to the same as in creatures.txt causes a crash so there must be something else to it, saving creatures.txt as dd1creat.txt and the game works now, weird!

Edit: Ok now my games won't save at all since I installed Deeper Dungeons, I can't save in the original game either, what could be the cause of this? (I have checked the install path in keeper.cfg and it is correct), maybe I should just try this KeeperFX thing! Maybe since I added this line into dosbox autoexec: mount e: e:\keeper -t cdrom -label KDDISK1 ? (otherwise I get the "please insert deeper dungeons cd-rom message even when the cd-rom is in the drive).
    Last edited by Lones; March 7th, 2012 at 00:05.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Perhaps the save folder is "Read only"?
    And the line you're talking about isn't supposed to do something to saved games.
    I don't really know, it's supposed to work. Do you have a "Save" folder in the Keeper folder?
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

If I'm reading this right, you are mounting your keeper directory as a cdrom drive. You can't save because you are attempting to save to a read only virtual cdrom drive. Also, you are mounting your keeper directory as a drive (which is a little weird).

Try this. (I don't know your drive letters, so you may have to switch things around)
    Move e:\keeper into a new "dos" folder (e:\dos\keeper)
    create a new folder on e: called temp (e:\temp)

Use these lines in your config.
    @echo off
    mount c: e:\dos
    mount d: e:\temp -t cdrom -label KDDISK1
    c:
    cd keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Durandall View Post
    If I'm reading this right, you are mounting your keeper directory as a cdrom drive. You can't save because you are attempting to save to a read only virtual cdrom drive. Also, you are mounting your keeper directory as a drive (which is a little weird).

Try this. (I don't know your drive letters, so you may have to switch things around)
    Move e:\keeper into a new "dos" folder (e:\dos\keeper)
    create a new folder on e: called temp (e:\temp)

Use these lines in your config.
    @echo off
    mount c: e:\dos
    mount d: e:\temp -t cdrom -label KDDISK1
    c:
    cd keeper
    Thank you that works a lot better. I used a youtube video to teach me how to get past it always asking for a CD so I just cut and pasted what the guy told me to, which clearly didn't work right (game worked but I couldn't save). All works fine now!