Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new creatures?!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Default Re: new creatures?!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    That reminds me, I tried to add in this unused Rebound sound effect because I thought it would be pretty nice, but I seem to randomly hear the sound in the middle of battle. Used one of the null ones. Sound ID#508. Works fine with Rebound but the sound popping up in battle is weird. Not sure why but that could be an issue when trying to add new sounds.
    Sound ID 508 is reserved for the but how did you manage to add new sounds in the game? I know for instance that there are some sound spots unused in the that are partially used now:
    - Sound ID#80 to 82 used for chickens hatching in the hatchery (used in my patch)
    - Sound ID#172 used by imps as they are making walls (not used yet in my patch since there's no fitting sound for it)
    - Sound ID#174 that was supposedly used for the falling of a tab, but doesn't work
    - Sound ID#177 used when you finish possessing a minion (used in my patch)

But I don't know about the rest. If there's some kind of way to add extra sounds to use in game, I'd like to know how to do it please.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    Sound ID 508 is reserved for the but how did you manage to add new sounds in the game? I know for instance that there are some sound spots unused in the that are partially used now:
    Explains why I kept hearing it in the first level. Beetles.

But I don't know about the rest. If there's some kind of way to add extra sounds to use in game, I'd like to know how to do it please.
    Editing the sound.dat file using dktools? I thought it was a fairly well known thing.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Okay, but I thought you would have find the correct ID reserved specifically for the rebound spell.

IDs starting from 331 and going up to 823 are reserved for each of the creatures sounds in that order:

Null sound (perhaps used as a separator, I never really tested it)
    Attack sound 1
    Attack sound 2
    Attack sound 3
    Happy sound
    Sad sound
    Hit sound 1
    Hit sound 2
    Hit sound 3
    Die sound 1
    Die sound 2
    Hang sound
    Drop sound
    Torture sound 1
    Torture sound 2
    Torture sound 3
    Slap sound (unused because it uses the hit sounds)

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Okay, but I thought you would have find the correct ID reserved specifically for the rebound spell.
    The Rebound spell has no specific ID as far as I'm aware. It refers to the same sound ID as the Conceal spell.

IDs starting from 331 and going up to 823 are reserved for each of the creatures sounds in that order:
    I actually know all of that already. I pretty much would have to since using the Sound tool displays the file name for each sound ID, so there actually isn't much reason to telling me this.

The only new information I got was from your previous post. See I used an unused null placeholder to import the unused Rebound sound. At least, I thought it was unused. From what you said of the previous post, that is reserved for the Beetle, which tells me that the game is still referring to those sounds despite it being nulled out. They obviously intended for the Beetle to remain quiet, which is why they're null to begin with. Inserting a sound there is what was causing my issue. All I need to do is use a different ID, one before the Creature sounds.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Yup. It goes in the same order than the creature IDs from the original creature.txt file.

There's however one thing I'm still curious about: where do the beetle/dog walking sounds are coming from? I wonder if mefisto could answer this (or maybe he already did and I just don't remember).

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    The palette problem isn't that important - I mean we are restricted to 256 colors in the JTY file, but the tool which generates JTY from PNGs will match color values and find a most similar one for every color inside PNG file, so it's done automatically.
    The use of palette in games has been always be an important restriction in graphics :-(. Will KeeperFX remove this limitation in the future? That will let us import ANY sprite we want having exactly the original color. Does the JTY format allows true color (24 bits or 32 bits per pixel) or it only uses palettized images?

Quote Originally Posted by jomalin View Post
    Does the JTY format allows true color (24 bits or 32 bits per pixel) or it only uses palettized images?
    All images and sprites in DK1 are palette-based. All related file formats are designed for storing color index only.

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    All images and sprites in DK1 are palette-based. All related file formats are designed for storing color index only.
    Thanks for your fast response.
    So, will you in the future add support for true color sprites? That will require to convert all the original DK palettized images to a true color format, and as I told, we will make KeeperFX accept any kind of graphics!

I'm not planning to make support of 24-bit GFX in KeeperFX.

As I wrote previously, the game is designed especially for color palette. To change the design would really be to create another game.

Gamer IDs

Mefisto, did you read my question above?