Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new creatures?!

Default new creatures?!

I read something about new creatures. is it possible?

i have some new ideas for new creatures. is an make a creatur for everyone possible?

Default Re: new creatures?!

You have already asked these questions about one and a half year ago. Don't think anything has changed about this since then.

Some snippets to answer your question:

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    A quote from the Creature.cfg file inside the KeeperFX data folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by creatures.cfg
    ; Currently YOU CANNOT ADD NEW CREATURES; you can only replace existing ones
    Luckily though, you can have two Dragons. All you have to do is change the Sprites of another Creature into the sprites of a Dragon inside their respective files.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    You CAN change his appearance, as long as you use the colour palette of the game. You can change the creatures look, for example, turning the green dragon into a red one or changing the warlock pink clothing into blue... but creating brand new creatures is hard, unless you're a pro in pixel art.

The Awakening

It is now possible to generate JTY file (with creature sprites) from a series of PNG files.

So, we're now able to import new sprites into KeeperFX, or make higher resolution of existing sprites.

For now size of sprite is limited to 255x255, but that will change over time.

The first generated sprites file is attached to this post - please test it and let me know if there are any graphics corruptions (I'm not sure if I got all the half-transparent sprites correctly).

keeperfx_generated_creature_jty.7z

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NEVEC DARKBLADE Steam ID: blackdragonknight254

OMFg..... Best of both worlds? DK2 CREATURES IN DK1?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ARMofORION View Post
    OMFg..... Best of both worlds? DK2 CREATURES IN DK1?!?!?!?
    That would require extracting the models and animations from DK2's creatures and making arrays of sprites out of them.

Not sure how feasible it is to extract models and/or animations from DK2. If both are possible, then I suppose it's possible to render sprites from them (though that'd take quite a bit of work, and might be tricky to look decent).

It seems exporting models from DK2 is possible, but I haven't looked much into it.

The Awakening

Spider

Why restrict oneself to DK2 creatures? This opens up so many more possibilities.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dayokay View Post
    Why restrict oneself to DK2 creatures? This opens up so many more possibilities.
    Introducing the newest addition to [S]WftO[/S], KeeperFX, the Fire Ant!
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Sure, it's all possible, but it has still restrictions and requires lots of work. If I'm not wrong, it still requires the limitation of the game's colour palette. Sound effects of creatures are also limited, but I think it's still possible to add new sound slots or use the unused ones. Same goes for the text, in all the possible languages. So, yeah, if you manage all that, addition of creatures is possible, but requires efforts and time.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    Sure, it's all possible, but it has still restrictions and requires lots of work. If I'm not wrong, it still requires the limitation of the game's colour palette. Sound effects of creatures are also limited, but I think it's still possible to add new sound slots or use the unused ones. Same goes for the text, in all the possible languages. So, yeah, if you manage all that, addition of creatures is possible, but requires efforts and time.
    That reminds me, I tried to add in this unused Rebound sound effect because I thought it would be pretty nice, but I seem to randomly hear the sound in the middle of battle. Used one of the null ones. Sound ID#508. Works fine with Rebound but the sound popping up in battle is weird. Not sure why but that could be an issue when trying to add new sounds.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Yeah, we still need some work for adding new creatures. Creature array still has only 32 entries (entry 0 is unused), and there's no tool to create sound banks (we have DKTools, but it's not command line and not open source).

But this is an important step. We could prepare a scene which generates proper PNGs from a 3D model, and use them to create new sprites. We can also add new items to the game.

The palette problem isn't that important - I mean we are restricted to 256 colors in the JTY file, but the tool which generates JTY from PNGs will match color values and find a most similar one for every color inside PNG file, so it's done automatically.