Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Guardian

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: Knight Star

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Lord Proteus View Post
    Whenever i think of a Gladiator, i usually think of them wearing very little armor, since thats what they were like in actuality. Usually only in vital parts, to allow menouverability.
    Well that's just what you think of them. I'm trying to get a good Guard replacement, which is why he has a bit more armor.

Pic related. The shield is wielded in one hand, so that provides protection for one arm and other area's assuming the wielder is skilled in its use, and the banded brass covering the other arm provides some protection for the shieldless arm. Only the leg/shin on the side opposite of the shield is armored because the shield can be lowered to protect the other. Naturally the head should be protected. This is just an example, as not all gladiators used shields. Im just pointing out that Gladiators favor menouverability and startegic placement of defenses that do not restrict movement.
    Kinda useless to state since I stated right above the picture that he would have no shield.

I approve of the idea of a Gladiator Hero, aswell as an evil counterpart. They would not however clad themselves in anything resembling the armor of a Teutonic Knight, seen in the OP, or even wear full plate, which throughly restricts movement and tired the wearer out.
    Well these are supposed to resemble Knights, they were originally based off of him.

I also do not see a Gladiator loving Manufacturing. One being a gaurding enthusiast also strikes me as a bit odd.
    Want some originality with that game?

I explained why they are Guards and Manufacturing. For the former, they're waiting for an enemy. They love combat. And for the latter, they're trying to make use of their time. Manufacturing is something they should be able to do. They're not the best at it though. I never remember Archers loving manufacturing, but in DK1 they did it anyways. It is a nice touch, though they still sucked.

One thing a Gladiator could do is pair up with another creature in the training room to spar with, conferring a small experience gain bonus on the partner, this could represent the Gladiator instructing the sparring partner on one on one fighting strategies and techniques.
    I already noted this.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex
    and will also train with other Creatures. (Real Training/Partner Training)
    Real Training (Partner Training in the later versions of KeeperFX) in the original Dungeon Keeper game was only for the Dark Mistress/Samurai, they would spar with other creatures in the Training Room and excellerate training for the two of them.

Do note that the creature was originally based off of the Knight, except he weilded a Morning Star weapon. I came up with the lame name, Knight Star. But upon resurrecting my old ideas, I asked the admin of another site for a good name for a warrior who weilded a Morning Star. He gave me a few suggestions. Gladiator was one of them. I liked it, and chose it.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

I only mentioned the shield thing as an example of how Gladiators tend to favor strategic protection over small, vital area's over full, heavy armor. Also a picture of a Fist Spike Gauntlet is surprisingly hard to find on Google. It has always been one of my favorite Gladiator weapons.

I only mentioned the shield thing as an example of how Gladiators tend to favor strategic protection over small, vital area's over full, heavy armor. Also a picture of a Fist Spike Gauntlet is surprisingly hard to find on Google. It has always been one of my favorite Gladiator weapons.
    Do note that the creature was originally based off of the Knight, except he weilded a Morning Star weapon. I came up with the lame name, Knight Star. But upon resurrecting my old ideas, I asked the admin of another site for a good name for a warrior who weilded a Morning Star. He gave me a few suggestions. Gladiator was one of them. I liked it, and chose it.
    I will not repeat that he was originally a Knight with the Morning Star. I do not wish to change him into another unit, because he already fits in as a Guard replacement. (That is directed at the Fist Spike Gauntlet, because I prefer the Morning Star) Do remember that the name "Gladiator" was something to put to replace the lamer "Knight Star". You're making me consider another name change...

Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    I will not repeat that he was originally a Knight with the Morning Star. I do not wish to change him into another unit, because he already fits in as a Guard replacement. (That is directed at the Fist Spike Gauntlet, because I prefer the Morning Star) Do remember that the name "Gladiator" was something to put to replace the lamer "Knight Star". You're making me consider another name change...
    Hmm... Black Gaurd? Dark Gaurd? there is something of a "Gaurdian" feel to the creature.

Hmm... Black Gaurd? Dark Gaurd? there is something of a "Gaurdian" feel to the creature.
    But he's a Hero. Also it is Guardian. :P

But I actually like the name Gladiator because it sounds more unique than Guardian. Also, I was basically saying that you should stop picking at it because of the name too much. Dungeon Keeper is a more original thing, we can move away from the typical ideas of Creatures and Heroes, but not too much for obvious reasons. Just look at the original Bile Demons, Demon Spawns, and Horned Reapers.

Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    But he's a Hero. Also it is Guardian. :P
    Oh yeah lol.

And yeah, thanks for the spelling correction, second one i have had today. -_-

Spoiler

Oh yeah lol.

And yeah, thanks for the spelling correction, second one i have had today. -_-

Spoiler

No problem.

Spoiler

Tesonu is napping!

Bringing this reply over here because this thread is more appropriate. Please excuse the double post.

As i remember it, I didnt have a problem with the Gladiator name.
    Oh really?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Lord Proteus
    Whenever i think of a Gladiator, i usually think of them wearing very little armor, since thats what they were like in actuality. Usually only in vital parts, to allow menouverability.

Pic related. The shield is wielded in one hand, so that provides protection for one arm and other area's assuming the wielder is skilled in its use, and the banded brass covering the other arm provides some protection for the shieldless arm. Only the leg/shin on the side opposite of the shield is armored because the shield can be lowered to protect the other. Naturally the head should be protected. This is just an example, as not all gladiators used shields. Im just pointing out that Gladiators favor menouverability and startegic placement of defenses that do not restrict movement.

I approve of the idea of a Gladiator Hero, aswell as an evil counterpart. They would not however clad themselves in anything resembling the armor of a Teutonic Knight, seen in the OP, or even wear full plate, which throughly restricts movement and tired the wearer out.

I also do not see a Gladiator loving Manufacturing. One being a gaurding enthusiast also strikes me as a bit odd.

One thing a Gladiator could do is pair up with another creature in the training room to spar with, conferring a small experience gain bonus on the partner, this could represent the Gladiator instructing the sparring partner on one on one fighting strategies and techniques.
    Lies I say.

Wasnt it you who decided another name change was in order to avoid confusion?
    I was expressing that I was becoming annoyed about you picking at the suggestion because the name wasn't just right.

Do remember that the name "Gladiator" was something to put to replace the lamer "Knight Star". You're making me consider another name change...
    It was especially annoying because after all this time I couldn't find a decent name for the Knight Star but then asked a friend on a different forum and Gladiator was one of the suggestions he gave me. It sounded quite good, much better than Knight Star, so annoyance is what is expected to be my reaction when someone keeps picking at the suggestion because of its new upgraded name.

A lot of people(including me) couldnt help expect an actual Gladiator.
    "A lot"? Define "A lot". Looking at the replies, there's just one person here. Whenever you reply, you should see "Re: Knight Star" for your title. Doesn't that strike you as odd? Not to mention, a good amount of the users that are most remembered when it comes to WftO suggestions already know who the Gladiator was before. It is especially obvious when they see old posts, and even read that the Gladiator is also called the Knight Star in the info about them.

It really isn't a lot. I don't know where you got that idea. Besides, anyone familiar with Dungeon Keeper can know we can stretch the "reality" a little bit. Also do remember that in a lot of your replies mention that this is what you expect and your opinion on a Gladiator. It has nothing to do with my actual Hero really.

Your idea of the Gladiator was formed by what you've heard from some other games or possibly what you've read online. We've all got our expectations for certain creatures/heroes, you can't expect everyone to adjust to what you see. This isn't your suggestion. While it is true that you can give support and ideas on how to improve it, you shouldn't be trying to change it into an entirely different unit.

I don't see too much of this, but what mainly bothers me is the combined pickiness of the name and appearance. Appearance is something that shouldn't be trully worried about until the end. Especially if the pic isn't final. I plan to do some drawings of all my suggestions after I've caught up on some of my other drawings and after I've updated them all with my new format. (Can't actually yell at you for that as I haven't really announced that anywhere but still...) If you say something about the appearance, try not to make a big deal about it.

Take my response to Duke Ragereaver's Revant for example.

Oh and I'm not sure about the appearance too much. It reminds me too much of the :P but that's just me
    Not making a big deal, sticking my tongue out at him to relieve that part of the post's seriousness, and even putting it at the end which makes it appear as if it is the last thing I'm paying attention to.

Admit it, Gladiators/Pit FIghters would be really cool in Dungeon Keeper.
    Pit Fighters? You mean those who enjoy fighting in the Combat Pit, well there are already creatures who enjoy that. The Gladiator is one of them. I'll mention it in that update I told you about if I haven't already mentioned it. I did say that Gladiators love combat. I would make it so that the Combat Pit is one of their attractions, however, there are too many problems with that.

For one, there technically is no garentee that there will be a Combat Pit as there are Anti-Combat Pit users. It does have some different uses about it as well, serving only as an upgraded Training Room (Which by the way, one reason why people think is very cheap training is because it was in DK2 when they brought the Combat Pit in. Do some math and see how expensive DK1 training is to its cheaper DK2 counterpart. That balances it out on how it goes to level 10 and can even be lowered to level 8)

For another, the Combat Pit is later in technology. I don't want the Gladiator to be recieved to late, he should be early to mid-game. That is, if you play like a real player and don't build the latest technology rooms first to get the cheapest Creatures. However, let's not outrule that we may go with the probably better (To avoid that cheap strategy) researchable rooms as it was in DK1.

I prefer Training Room anyways as his attraction. His appearance I don't worry about, but his name stays. Period. I'm not going through ANOTHER name change. Stop being so picky about it, please. There are other details that should be discussed as I have no idea what others think of it as people have yet to reply to them, such as their spell set, stats, those kind of things which can really lead to broken units.

Wow my reply to a short little paragraph is sooo long! :3

Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

Looking at this creature, I actually like the idea. He fits int with the other heroes very well as that is one thing I always stress about is having confilcitng groups of heroes which don't suit the title very well.

Also a morning star is fixed to a pole and usually has a small mass at the end with long spikes protruding from it. Gauging from your picture I think you meant a "Flail".

He seems like a perfect all round melee unit.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    Looking at this creature, I actually like the idea. He fits int with the other heroes very well as that is one thing I always stress about is having confilcitng groups of heroes which don't suit the title very well.
    Awesome

Also a morning star is fixed to a pole and usually has a small mass at the end with long spikes protruding from it. Gauging from your picture I think you meant a "Flail".
    Whoops, my bad >.> Will change upon that format update I mentioned.

He seems like a perfect all round melee unit.
    Yeah that was my intention when I did that big update, as I was trying to replace the Guard unit. Nice to hear I seemed to have reached my goal.

Tesonu is napping!