Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your favourite Creatures?

Default What are your favourite Creatures?

I've had this game since it came out and loved it instantly, I return to it frequently. Everyone has their favourite creatures and least favourite. I personally hate Warlocks and Horned Reapers and never use either if I can help it (i'd only use warlocks on maps where I couldn't obtain Dragons or Vampires). Horned Reapers are overrated in my opinion, they can't heal, they are expensive and they get angry too easily despite all this "oh just throw a bit of gold on them!" trick (which never seems to work for me). Vampires are expensive but they rarely get annoyed, become immortal when trained past level 3, and are excellent researchers. For me though they are really poor in combat, they have excellent melee attacks but unless you possess them they never seem to use it, they resort to draining and back pedalling and fall a little flat combat wise.

Overall I prefer the Heroes to the Creatures you can attract, there are many maps I choose to convert Heroes and throw away my creatures (or not even connect to the portal in the first place), the Samurai is excellent as it is the only powerful creature with the freeze ability, combined with their speed and willingness to perform any role they are the best hero in my opinion.

The best combinations for fighting in my opinion are Dragons + Mistresses or Knights + Samurai, Dragons/Knights don't output huge damage but they can tank almost anything and once they are engaged dropping your Mistresses/Samurai down will slaughter pretty much anything your enemy throws at you. I can't defeat the Avatar without a Dragon or Dragons tanking him while my other creatures do the damage to him.

Overall I think the Mistress is the best character in the game, easy to keep happy, fast trainers, ridiculously cheap (warlocks cost 35 gold to train and get absolutely slaughtered by Mistresses 1v1 ranged abilities only) and they will do any task at all in the dungeon without complaint!

Default Re: What are your favourite Creatures?

Dragons - I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Edit from DragonsLover : Are you sure you're not a Thief instead?

Nah, just kidding I really like the Archer, Demonspawn and the Avatar. Mostly because of the spells they have and the animations. If you add spells to some creatures it just doesn't seem right because of their animation.

The creature I like most is the Fairy, her animations are the best IMO and because of the fact if you slap her once and give her speed she is unstoppable ( and don't forget the 40 Luck Fairies have ).
    Last edited by Archer; March 24th, 2012 at 17:01. Reason: Fairy added

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

I like the Beetle. He's so underrated. Beetles can kill the Avatar and Horned Reapers, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Lones View Post
    I personally hate Warlocks and Horned Reapers and never use either if I can help it (i'd only use warlocks on maps where I couldn't obtain Dragons or Vampires).
    Out of curiosity, why exactly do you hate the Warlock?

Horned Reapers are overrated in my opinion, they can't heal, they are expensive and they get angry too easily despite all this "oh just throw a bit of gold on them!" trick (which never seems to work for me).
    But they're so overpowered, who needs Heal when you have the second highest stats in the game? Second to only the final boss.

The reason why Horned Reapers are rated so overpowered is because of the exploit of the Temple. Set them there and they'll just pray, never get angry. The "Throw gold on them" is a glitch/exploit/design flaw (Can't remember which actually) used to avoid their massive payday. It also can be utilized to just make them happy once they get unhappy. These things cancel out the Horned Reaper's weaknesses, his management difficulty. That is why he is considered overpowered.

Vampires are expensive but they rarely get annoyed, become immortal when trained past level 3, and are excellent researchers. For me though they are really poor in combat, they have excellent melee attacks but unless you possess them they never seem to use it, they resort to draining and back pedalling and fall a little flat combat wise.
    I actually talked about the Combat thing here. Vampires are actually one of the easier Creatures to annoy. Especially with the flaw in the AI that will send the Vampire to the Temple automatically >.> Also, Vampires are more like secondary Researchers. They have a Research Value of 3 at base level, compared to Dragons and Warlocks that have a Research Value of 4.

Overall I think the Mistress is the best character in the game, easy to keep happy, fast trainers, ridiculously cheap (warlocks cost 35 gold to train and get absolutely slaughtered by Mistresses 1v1 ranged abilities only) and they will do any task at all in the dungeon without complaint!
    Dark Mistresses are overpowered too XD
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Dragons - I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Edit from DragonsLover : Are you sure you're not a Thief instead?

Nah, just kidding I really like the Archer, Demonspawn and the Avatar. Mostly because of the spells they have and the animations. If you add spells to some creatures it just doesn't seem right because of their animation.
    Avatar I can understand, I tend to end up with 2 of them on final mission of campaign. Don't get why you like Demonspawn or Archer though, both are very poor at level 10 (why train a Demonspawn when a Dragon will hit level 10 much faster and cheaper then training a spawn from scratch), I want to like Archers but they are just too weak, their basic attacks should do far more damage, they can kite a melee only opponent for a while till they run out of room, but anything with a spell is going to render them useless.

Oh I forgot about Sorceress, god I hate the whirlwind spell! Whether they are on your side or the enemy, they are just too annoying to use!

Oh I forgot about Sorceress, god I hate the whirlwind spell! Whether they are on your side or the enemy, they are just too annoying to use!
    Sorceress? I think you mean Sorcerer/Warlock. Vampire has Whirlwind too XD

Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    Sorceress? I think you mean Sorcerer/Warlock. Vampire has Whirlwind too XD
    I think he means Priestess/Witch, judging by Whirlwind and being annoying on both ends.

The Awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    I like the Beetle. He's so underrated. Beetles can kill the Avatar and Horned Reapers, you know?

Out of curiosity, why exactly do you hate the Warlock?

But they're so overpowered, who needs Heal when you have the second highest stats in the game? Second to only the final boss.

The reason why Horned Reapers are rated so overpowered is because of the exploit of the Temple. Set them there and they'll just pray, never get angry. The "Throw gold on them" is a glitch/exploit/design flaw (Can't remember which actually) used to avoid their massive payday. It also can be utilized to just make them happy once they get unhappy. These things cancel out the Horned Reaper's weaknesses, his management difficulty. That is why he is considered overpowered.

I actually talked about the Combat thing here. Vampires are actually one of the easier Creatures to annoy. Especially with the flaw in the AI that will send the Vampire to the Temple automatically >.> Also, Vampires are more like secondary Researchers. They have a Research Value of 3 at base level, compared to Dragons and Warlocks that have a Research Value of 4.

Dark Mistresses are overpowered too XD
    Warlocks are acceptable in small numbers kept at level 1, in large numbers OR trained they are just too moody to be of any use. Expensive trainers, pretty poor range of spells considering they are a caster only (the only one that does much damage is meteor and thats easily avoided due to slow missile speed), anything with a lightning spell will tear them apart. Once trained they kill any imps who wander into the library (I think from level 3/4 they start to attack your imps). Horned Reapers i've always found to be more of a hinder then a help, some maps you just can't afford them, and on those you can one slight error or random piece of AI and they tear up your base. I know most people swear by them, I do just fine without ever having one!

I can honestly say i've never had an angry vampire, I usually use them as my choice of Transfer Creature specials, they never attack imps who enter your library, they can research everything early game before you open your portal (some maps he is enough to destroy the enemy and you never need to connect your portal). I can remember one playthrough I had 30 or so level 10 vampires just from Scavenging enemy keepers (it crashed regularly, it couldn't handle the awesome). I'm not a fan of having creatures who can't fight doing any role.

Warlocks are a waste of space in combat, so are Trolls, I would rather have lesser researchers/workers then use them (usually I just keep 1 or maybe 2 Bile Demons for workshops and throw everything else out).

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    I think he means Priestess/Witch, judging by Whirlwind and being annoying on both ends.
    Yes sorry I meant Priestess (there are so many names for the same creatures I have seen witch, sorceress, priestess used for them over the years), same with Samurai/Ninja, I know of 1 game guide (it might still be on gamefaqs) who has a mini rant about people calling it a Samurai, he will only accept Ninja being used!

Warlocks are acceptable in small numbers kept at level 1, in large numbers OR trained they are just too moody to be of any use. Expensive trainers, pretty poor range of spells considering they are a caster only (the only one that does much damage is meteor and thats easily avoided due to slow missile speed),
    They get Meteor early on and can do heavy damage in groups. It's like having a powerful charge into battle, it cripples enemy forces before the fight even begins. Dodging is irrelevant actually, as it only really applies to enemies in Possession.

anything with a lightning spell will tear them apart.
    Use Protect :P Protect grants immunity to Keeper Lightning. Unless you meant Creature Lightning, but then again, they're not tanks and shouldn't be up at the frontlines taking damage to begin with.

Once trained they kill any imps who wander into the library (I think from level 3/4 they start to attack your imps).
    It's Level 2, once they get Fireball or any other projectile. This is solved by strategic Room Placement, built the Library off to the side instead of in a busy passing area. You're generally supposed to build it in a secure location anyways to ensure that the enemy doesn't capture it easily.

Yes sorry I meant Priestess (there are so many names for the same creatures I have seen witch, sorceress, priestess used for them over the years), same with Samurai/Ninja, I know of 1 game guide (it might still be on gamefaqs) who has a mini rant about people calling it a Samurai, he will only accept Ninja being used!
    I've never heard the name Sorceress being used for the Priestess. The differences in names come from differences between what they're called in-game and what they're called in the script. Priestess/Ninja are used in-game and Witch/Samurai are script names. Some people say that the Priestess is called the Witch because its her Script Name, but that's just silly. The same people refer to the Beetle as Beetle when his script name is "Bug". Neither in-game nor script is 100% correct regarding the name. Though Priestess makes a lot more sense compared to Witch.

If you can find that guide, do share. It sounds hilarious.

Tesonu is napping!

I prefer Vampire from the Creatures, but from the Heroes - Monk and Fairy. In general, agree with the majority's (probably) opinion that creature the most versatile are Mistress of all.

As for the Warlock can say one thing - this creature for "personal" control. Even low-level warlock can kill a bunch of assorted Creatures \ Heroes in a Possession mode. As mode outside the creature, it is already part of competent microcontrol, but with the same positive result. In general is true for most of mages.

Don't get why you like Demonspawn or Archer though, both are very poor at level 10 (why train a Demonspawn when a Dragon will hit level 10 much faster and cheaper then training a spawn from scratch), I want to like Archers but they are just too weak, their basic attacks should do far more damage, they can kite a melee only opponent for a while till they run out of room, but anything with a spell is going to render them useless.
    Most creatures with Heal is a no-go for the Archer. They indeed can kite melee creatures because Archers got Speed and Slow but "run out of room" ? Every ranged creature makes turns to make room.

You're right about the Demonspawn but I mostly like it because of the animations.