Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Final Chapter?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Consoles Suck XFIRE ID: Searingflame2 Steam ID: Admortis

Default Re: The Final Chapter?

MGR, there was a condition behind my support for you - a condition that may be shared by others.

Respect your elders.

Which I do mean figuratively, as Duke is a young man himself. But the truth is, there is no substitute from experience. Duke has seen and dealt with issues you haven't, and has done so brilliantly at that. Where once there was a time when I feverishly declared my hate for him due to restrictions placed on Val'Kaz, he dealt with it so diplomatically that I was immediately won over to his general view of things. The change I proposed was dramatic and idiotic, but he was able to convince me of that without saying it, thereby earning my respect rather than resentment.

And I don't know, Mr Rex, if in the same situation, you would have been able to do the same thing.

All I mean to say is that Duke has been there already. And he's been bloody brilliant in constructing what we have here today.

So why must you reject him so brutally? It was this interpretation of something you quoted that bothered me the most out of anything said or done here.

He has asked if I agreed to that, giving me the power to reject his offer and request, and further acknowledging me as the GM with complete control.
    That is not at all how I see it. He would not have, I don't think, nor should he have been expected to, cede the power to you if you do not agree to pay attention to his valuable council.
    People do not go to university because they are already better than their professors and eager to prove it, they go there to learn from them. Duke is your professor. He can teach you methods of control, diplomacy. He can offer mediation where otherwise you may be too hasty. He can be a bastion of consideration where you offer passion and excitement.

Cede some power, Rex. You had my support because I love your creativity, your zeal, and the amount of time you're willing to put into this. But please, don't let that zeal blind you to the fact that you are not all knowing, you are not infallible and that there are areas where Duke is a better candidate than you. If you agree to give him the say that he deserves, then we can have the best of both worlds.

The concession to make is small, but the prize is grand. Please, make the right choice.
    Last edited by Searingflame2; April 9th, 2012 at 11:45.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Skarok

First about all the fuss with Crystallbarrow; I don't see why you're so upset about Rex doing the exact same thing that was planned from the beginning just a bit earlier. I don't think the realm would've survived to this point. It was a realm and a Keeper shaped by the creatures of role-players who have gone inactive years ago. It wasn't a realm where any of us was really involved, most just came in a few weeks ago, Moth overtook an already established character and hadn't much liberties and if the hunt would have been prolonged as long as first planned Crystallbarrow would have become a second Frozengard, a realm where no one is really interested in, not even the one who plays the Keeper. FCC was an opportunity for all the current role-players to have a dungeon they could form, a realm they could pattern from the very beginning. We would all have an attachment to the realm, unlike with Crystallbarrow and thus we would've been very motivated to play in there. Before you just shut everything down everyone had a great interest in it, though I'm not sure how everyone will see it after all this fuss, even if it continues like before, the bitter aftertaste will always hang over it.

Anyways, over to the second point. Rex has my full support, most of your claims aren't even applicable, and they are merely your view of things which you want to force us all to follow them. I think everyone here will agree that we just want the RPG running again and there was really lots of activity until you stepped in and shut everything down. Spells suggestion could very easily drive away from DK and everyone knows that, but Rex only accepted certain spells, spells which are very similar to the DK ones, hell most are even just a slightly changed or modified form of a DK spell. Accepting DA and Reapers was a great idea, Rex really tried to balance them out and here everyone's opinion on it before he decided to allow them entirely and even now he is very careful about the profiles when it comes into approval.

Third I understand your anger as a writer myself, I'd be really pissed if someone would steal my stories to and then turn them into something that's simply using the basic structure of my hard work. But I'd be not pissed if I'd have gave it away before, knowing of the fact that it isn't my story anymore. If you didn't want to continue with the Awakening it is the logic step to stop with it. If you'd still want Rex to let you have a saying about the story you should've made yourself perfectly clear. But all you did was sending him two vague lines, almost as if you didn't really care what would happen to your work. In these things you should've been really clear and careful, so the things which resulted from this are your very own fault. Maybe Rex shouldn't have rebuffed you like that, but I think it was the logical conclusion after your no longer justified ultimatum. Further, your fuss about him not taking responsibility is ridiculous. You wanted to become the one who pulled the strings the entire time you say? Without doing anything? If you really think about it, your allegations should be targeted at yourself. Further you really ignored everything Rex said to you in the chatbox and then after you saw that his arguments were valid against yours you simply accused him of lying, slanders and threatened him if he wouldn't stop with his arguments. I think that was very unfair and you should apologize to Rex.

I really hope you can accept Rex and leave the role as GM behind you. You seemed like a nice person to me and it would be a shame if you'd leave KK like that just because your visions of the RPG were different.

So long, Rex has my support as GM and I hope you finally see reason so everything can get back to normal and all of this fuss and your dispute with Rex can get buried.
    Last edited by Skarok; April 9th, 2012 at 12:34.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Searingflame2 View Post
    And I don't know, Mr Rex, if in the same situation, you would have been able to do the same thing.

All I mean to say is that Duke has been there already. And he's been bloody brilliant in constructing what we have here today.

So why must you reject him so brutally? It was this interpretation of something you quoted that bothered me the most out of anything said or done here.

That is not at all how I see it. He would not have, I don't think, nor should he have been expected to, cede the power to you if you do not agree to pay attention to his valuable council.
    As I mentioned, I feel that he was the one to try and reject me after granting me control over the Awakening. I'm not the only one who interpreted things that way, either. I'm certain that Moth, Cookie, Skarok, and Orion all believed the same in that I was given complete control. I feel offended by a lot of Duke's accusions, by his ultimatum, and general attitude towards me after trying to retake control over the Awakening. I don't mean to come off as attempting to "brutally" reject Duke, but I suppose that given all that has happened, it is rather difficult not to.

If you refuse to believe or if you did not interpret Duke as giving me complete control and then later denying it, then look at what Duke has already denied in this thread alone. He has denied any acknowledgment towards how people felt that he completely stepped down after a clear statement he made that shows that he no longer wants to lead anymore, acting as if this thought was born from nothingness. He has denied the fact that our "agreement" was a misunderstanding, despite previously acknowledging the misunderstanding and has denied what I actually agreed to him becoming. Again, after acknowledging it through the PMs. And further denied my rejection of his offer after understanding what he truly wanted to become.

After you see this, can you understand why I would believe that Duke is denying giving me complete control? My response in the PMs was made under the impression that I was still in complete control, as he had not said anything regarding that matter at that point in time. My response, now, is made because he has denied various claims and facts, which has brought me to greatly suspect whether or not he was telling the truth when he says that he did not pass full command over to me. There's no actual statement that I'm aware of that would support this claim, so I am only led to believe that he is in fact, lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Searingflame2 View Post
    People do not go to university because they are already better than their professors and eager to prove it, they go there to learn from them. Duke is your professor. He can teach you methods of control, diplomacy. He can offer mediation where otherwise you may be too hasty. He can be a bastion of consideration where you offer passion and excitement.

Cede some power, Rex. You had my support because I love your creativity, your zeal, and the amount of time you're willing to put into this. But please, don't let that zeal blind you to the fact that you are not all knowing, you are not infallible and that there are areas where Duke is a better candidate than you. If you agree to give him the say that he deserves, then we can have the best of both worlds.
    I do not think that is truly a fair comparison. I have not become a GM to learn, I have become a GM to lead. I understand why I may come off as trying to be "all-knowing", because Duke has had more experience than I as a GM. However, Duke may have had more experience, but that doesn't mean that he is going to be always right nor is that any reason to reject what I have to say. I am not one to follow another blindly. What you need to do is look at what Duke is actually saying and why I rejected his words. Only then can you truly understand my actions and would you be able to see that I am not trying to act like I know better than everyone, without the proper justification at least.

If you think about it, Duke is actually the one who came to me with an "all-knowing" attitude. I gave my explanation behind my opening up a third realm and why I felt that three realms would be truly ideal, but Duke disregarded it all and said that I only made an assumption based off of a selection of assumptions in order to draw a specific result, which is completely untrue. To assume that I would do such a thing is insulting to me enough as it is. He has criticized me in accusing me that I do not want to show responsibility and think of nothing but myself, despite all of the work I put into the Awakening as GM over the past week and despite me always seeking everybody else's approval and thoughts before I made any "major" change to the Awakening. I even rejected my own suggestion that I felt had potential, the Spell Specialization, because people didn't seem as interested in it.

His criticism is baseless and created through a generally arrogant attitude. He has prematurely judged the situation and disregarded what I have said without proper reasoning, putting me at the center of the blame for all of the Awakening's nonexistent problems. Through all of this has he displayed questionable judgement abilities. Can you truly trust someone's judgement of a situation after all of that?

I hope my point of view has been cleared up a bit, and that you better understand the reasoning behind my actions throughout this entire event.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Consoles Suck XFIRE ID: Searingflame2 Steam ID: Admortis

This whole thing really bothers me because at the end of the day, I love both you and Duke for your respective merits.

I know it isn't my place to make a command, demand, whatever, so instead, I'll ask a favor, from each of you

Metal Gear Rex
    It is clear to me that you are currently not on particularly pleasant terms with Duke, however, I humbly request that you understand something; nothing he has done was intended to slight, offend or upset you. He has put a profound amount of work, love and effort into the RPG, and it is thanks to him, his dream and his will that we are here at all today.
    I understand that maybe things weren't as clear as they could be, but don't you think it is just a little unreasonable for you to have assumed that the mantle was yours and he wouldn't want a say? Maybe, in the subsequent misunderstanding, he has acted a little brashly, but if you thought something you had put that amount of time in was in danger, would you not have done the same?
    Understand that Duke's intentions were nothing but golden - he wants the RPG to succeed and he wants the RP'ers to enjoy it. Please, when making your final negotiations, keep that in mind. Acknowledge him in the discussions not as someone who has tried to take power from you, but as someone who created, and wishes to see the best for, something that you (and I, and many others besides) share a mutual love for.
    Can you put aside your dislike and accept him as a guiding hand of wisdom from experience?

Duke
    Upon reflection, can you see that it would have been prudent to make your ceding of power, such as how much of it you were ceding and the conditions of transferring it to MGR, clearer? Can you see that, even though it was not your intent, you have offended Metal Gear Rex as a person through removal of his powers? Can you see that, though some of the changes Rex has made may be radical, the Rp'ers for the most part seem to agree with or outright endorse them, and that you may therefore have been wrong in your complaints? Can you see and respect that Metal Gear Rex has been more involved in the RPG as a roleplayer, and hence probably has a firmer understanding of the implications of his proposed or implemented changes? Since taking power, Rex has proven himself to be remarkably competent as a GM, and even though I agree with you that some of the changes implemented should be discussed far more fully in a more democratic environment (this should have been in the Rex section =P), for the most part, Rex has given a breath of life to the RPG, and that is something we can all agree is a good thing. Please, look back at the change made. Can you not see that not only do they not make the RPG an 'abomination' but may instead provide more colour and creativity?

Finally, both of you need to acknowledge that this entire argument has sprung up and continued because of how much you care about The Awakening. I utterly reject the idea that Duke 'moving on' would be best for the RPG, as it is largely for the quality of his ideas that brought us to this point and there is absolutely nothing to suggest that the quality of his ideas will degrade or the ideas themselves become redundant. He should absolutely maintain a role (if he wants to, that is), the one I think he originally intended (though perhaps could have explained better) as the guiding hand or as a moderating figure. On the other hand, I think Metal Gear Rex is the path of the future, as he has the energy and creativity to infuse the RPG with life on pretty much a daily basis. I think he should screen changes more extensively (if not due to poor effect than to consider the necessity of the changes) before implementing them in the RPG.

You're both terrific, and you both need to stop and look at each other in a different light. You do NOT dislike this person. This person created, or is continuing, something you love.

There have been some new developments...

Owing to the powerful message the community have given I have contacted Metal Gear Rex to see if things are still not beyond repair.

First of all, I want to publically apologize for Metal Gear Rex and the RPG community for the trouble I have caused with my misguided actions. We have talked with each other through Skype and we have fortunately enough reached a level of understanding with each other, agreeing this had to end not only to end the stress it was taking the toll on both of us, but for the RPG and it’s occupants. We both had the desire to get the RPG back on track, and this formed the basis for a good conversation to decide what would happen.

To make a long story short we have agreed that the following things would be in everyone’s best interests. Foremost that total control of the RPG is now in Metal Gear Rex hand’s, everything. Resignment of myself as GM, with the promise not to interfere with the leadership again. It’s in Metal Gear Rex hands now and I really sincerely wish him the best of luck in leading the GM to better and brighter times. Though I did not admit this before in my clouded judgment, I think he is the most ideal candidate for the RPG’s best interests. Had I been wiser to see that sooner.

On an somewhat related note. I am acknowledging that my actions lately were not the best or well most thought ones. I have severely damaged the trust the people had in me, alienated people away and this event will always be at the back of our heads, and I’m sorry for that. Therefore I’m resigning as Super Moderatorship as well. For the grief my many mistakes have done, perhaps I can do some good with doing one last thing right.

I hope we can see, speak and perhaps roleplay with each other in better times.

Regards,
    Duke Ragereaver
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; April 9th, 2012 at 18:52.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    Reassignment of myself as GM
    I think you mean "resignment". No offense, but this case of miswording is actually fairly hilarious.

The Awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    I think you mean "resignment". No offense, but this case of miswording is actually fairly hilarious.
    Ha, good spottin'. It's at the very least a good thing there is something to laugh about again.

Fixed.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Worry not, Duke. People are human by their mistakes and I think no less of you - everyone is intrinsically flawed and everyone blunders from time to time .

Mispelling 'Resignment' on the other hand... unforgivable .
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

I find it interesting how most of us (myself included >.>) tried to take sides, rather than mediate a "truce" between the GMs. Flame, you just might have single-handedly saved the RP. You are an inspiration to us all.