Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: new patch on gog

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Default Re: new patch on gog

Quote Originally Posted by helsinkiharbour View Post
    Come one guys! GOG paid someone (timeslip) for fixing this, so they created a real extra-value to DKII which was not available before!

Also, they really care about old classics when no one else is caring for such games, neither original developers nor publisher. So, pirating the patch to save 5.99$ for the game + and this great fix is not only cheap, it might be also counter-productive for all gamers in the long run. It's a de-motivating signal to GOG that investing time and money ressources on fixing problems in this and other games is not appreciated and respected by gamers. :/
    Afaik, making the patch available won't prevent people to buy the game if they want to since they need the game to use it. If they have the original game, it's a shame for them to not be able to take advantage of it since, heck, they've already bought the game back in the old time. They're like forced to buy the game another time.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    Afaik, making the patch available won't prevent people to buy the game if they want to since they need the game to use it. If they have the original game, it's a shame for them to not be able to take advantage of it since, heck, they've already bought the game back in the old time. They're like forced to buy the game another time.
    I can understand the feeling: "heck, I already bought it on CD so why should I buy it twice?", but the GOG version is not the version you bought decades ago. The original product was not tested and programed for modern hardware and Windows variants beyond 2000 (?), product support was discontinued long ago, it is a completly obsolete product. The refurbished version from GOG is a new product with NEW features and qualities (which costed time and ressources to GOG): they seached and talked with the rights holder and allow you now to purchase DKII again, they offer real product support again, they tested the compatiblity for different newer hardware and software platforms and created and included comptiblity fixes, also they provide a digital download which can be seen as "cloud" backup.

So I think it is acceptable to see the GOG-DKII version as new product which deserves the 5.99$ (and is also worth it).
    Also, gamers should support a digital distributor which try to survive economical while respecting the gamers (no-DRM) and the art of PC gaming itself (supporting and reviving classics, including "non-streamlined" indie PC games for "non-semi-morons"). Who see this not as just a business where it is fine to use every law-allowed but unethical method to maximize profits (like EA's origin etc... ).
    Last edited by helsinkiharbour; August 13th, 2012 at 12:00.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by helsinkiharbour
    I can understand the feeling: "heck, I already bought it on CD so why should I buy it twice?", but the GOG version is not the version you bought decades ago. The original product was not tested and programed for modern hardware and Windows variants beyond 2000 (?), product support was discontinued long ago, it is a completly obsolete product. The refurbished version from GOG is a new product with NEW features and qualities (which costed time and ressources to GOG): they seached and talked with the rights holder and allow you now to purchase DKII again, they offer real product support again, they tested the compatiblity for different newer hardware and software platforms and created and included comptiblity fixes, also they provide a digital download which can be seen as "cloud" backup.
    The GOG version not the same version like the old one? A new product with new features and qualities? To my eyes, it's the freaking same game. They only built a new patch which fixes the hardware acceleration problem along with removing SafeDisc which can already be done on the original game. Nothing more, nothing less. Otherwise, I really don't see what other new features you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    The GOG version not the same version like the old one? A new product with new features and qualities? To my eyes, it's the freaking same game. They only built a new patch which fixes the hardware acceleration problem along with removing SafeDisc which can already be done on the original game. Nothing more, nothing less. Otherwise, I really don't see what other new features you're talking about.
    Qualities provided by GOG release:
    - Official republished -> again legally available you don't have to pirate it (or search ebay for dusty cds)
    - Official DRM free -> "the good feeling of doing it the correct way" and still having it in the most convenient form
    - Support service -> you can blame them/ask them for support, and the really react
    - central Download/Backup -> centralized backup solution, you don't have to care for backups
    - compatility Updates/testing -> Patches and adaption for new hardware and platforms, it runs on your hardware and platform!

While I can see that many of this points are not relevant to you, the last points stays: GOG extended the game for a new platform beyond the original platform capabilites. It's not the game anymore, as it was envisioned by bullfrog with a fixed and limited product live-cycle and aimed platform.
    Last edited by helsinkiharbour; August 13th, 2012 at 13:50.

Gamer IDs

Yeah, okay, I don't counter that. It's a good thing they officially republish the game and get a support service along with providing a centralized site to download, but we're talking here of people who still own legally their original game and who don't really care of all that. It's just to make their new patch available for that people since they don't really want to buy the game another time just for getting it, especially when their patch is based on a version of the game that somewhat sucks. Indeed, some older versions of that game work better. It's like if the latest patches of Bullfrog scrap the game a bit.

You may think it's not the same version, but it is. The game by itself ALREADY WORKS for modern OS. Yeah, it works. If you manage to do some tweaks and use the correct version of the game, you could make the game totally playable.
    Here, they simply altered something on DirectDraw. That's the ONLY adaptation thing they did. Probably that, if someone here would have the same knowledge about DirectDraw, a similar patch could have been made for the original version of the game.

You said GOG provided compatibility and updates? Well they have to work better than that because there's a huge HUGE list of things to be fixed in that scraped game.

On a final note, we even provide the full DK2 game on DK.net. Oh my god, are we against GOG? NO! The version we offer is the multilingual one where GOG only provides the english game. On some French abandonware websites, they even provide the Gold edition of the first Dungeon Keeper since it's accepted. Same thing applies for DK2 on DK.net. Yeah, it may affects sales on GOG, but that's not our problem. So, I don't see how it is that important just for a freaking little patch.

So anyone tried to speak with timeslip to make a fix for 1.3?

Quote Originally Posted by Hapuga View Post
    Use 1.3 and 1.51, please. F**ck 1.73 and semi-patch 1.8.
    What's your problem?!

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bj007pro View Post
    What's your problem?!
    1.7/1.73 and 1.8 suck, basically. 1.3 and 1.51 are much better.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    1.7/1.73 and 1.8 suck, basically. 1.3 and 1.51 are much better.
    Why Though???

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bj007pro View Post
    Why Though???
    Biggest issue that comes to mind is the general fact that 1.7, the latest official version of the game has completely broken multiplayer and requires use of an unofficial patch to work. This issue is more something that just reflects how bad the patch is in itself.

1.7/3 has completely retarded AI and also a less stable game, causing much more frequent crashing. The new features aren't really that great as Elites are OP, Maiden isn't impressive, and the Jack-in-the-Box Trap is also OP in its own ways or depending on the situation. Uninteresting otherwise. Mercenaries are also limited to 3 maps only so not really a general plus when you look at the big picture.

I'm sure there's plenty of other issues and smaller things I'm missing but those are some of the main points. I haven't played 1.7 in a long time so I've forgotten the other issues. I also have limited information on the 1.8 patch but I know Hapuga knows better than I on that. I also know he's more familiar with the AI differences between the game versions.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!