Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: new patch on gog

Default new patch on gog

I rarely post here, but gog.com has just released a NEW patch to fix compatibility issues

Default Re: new patch on gog

Quote Originally Posted by edorien View Post
    I rarely post here, but gog.com has just released a NEW patch to fix compatibility issues
    No s**t??? Does it mean those guys have source code?

And yes, when u post things like that always link!

EDIT:

Confirmed. The new patch makes the game run smoothly.

Bad news, however. They use version 1.7, as I feared. This means - retarded AI in skirmish. Imp fights. Yay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42425985.png 
Views:	1727 
Size:	772.4 KB 
ID:	1075

I wonder if I should write them a nice letter about the limitations of their contract with EA. Maybe we can work this out somehow. If they have access to game code, we may have a very small chance of convincing them to fix the AI issue or provide us with SDK. A nearly zero chance, mind you. However, looks like it's the best we can get now after all these years.

EDIT2:

Editor is also of the "latest" version, meaning no hatchery/lair. I desperately tried to do some hex editing on the files, trying to make the in-game variables work (keeper variables) - failed miserably. This game version is fubar.

EDIT3:

Interesting finding I just did. As a matter of fact, the maps totally IGNORE the (mapname)Variables.kld file. The game checks for the file existence, but it never uses the contents! I blanked out (NULL'ed) the whole file and guess what? The game worked perfectly fine. However, when you create a GLOBALS file, they use DEFAULT values of keeper properties, even if you modify the keeper. The keeper properties are correctly saved to the Variables file. If you do not create the global file, the game will read the default global file.

In simple words: whatever you do, the game will never see the changes for the keeper. What kind of retarded s**t is that.

Game file load priority:

Globals (map, stores DEFAULT Variables for keeper, never modifies them)
    Variables (that do not work, store PROPER modification to the keeper)
    Globals (default, stores all stuff in the world)

There is a possibility that I am wrong, and the Globals do not store the Variables for keeper. Then the priority is as following:

Globals (map, stores units, objects, spells, but not keepers)
    a. Globals (default, stores all stuff in the world (including the keeper)
    b. Hardcoded Variables (this file may exist inside the game code, in this case, it stores all Variables info about keepers, default Globals doesn't)

In any scenario, these are the logical conclusions:

a. keeper properties are modified and saved correctly (unlike was thought before, editor DOES make the changes to the file)
    b. the Variables file is never used, because another file has a higher priority, or the external read command fails on the file

Possible solutions:

a. find and modify the Variable/Global file in resources permanently
    b. find a way to make the external Variables file readable.
    Last edited by Hapuga; July 7th, 2012 at 06:56.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

it appears they have embedded the original exe inside a wrapper that only redirects the graphics calls, so its unlikely they have the source code

This makes me an even sadder panda.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapuga View Post
    No s**t??? Does it mean those guys have source code?

And yes, when u post things like that always link!

EDIT:

Confirmed. The new patch makes the game run smoothly.

Bad news, however. They use version 1.7, as I feared. This means - retarded AI in skirmish. Imp fights. Yay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42425985.png 
Views:	1727 
Size:	772.4 KB 
ID:	1075

I wonder if I should write them a nice letter about the limitations of their contract with EA. Maybe we can work this out somehow. If they have access to game code, we may have a very small chance of convincing them to fix the AI issue or provide us with SDK. A nearly zero chance, mind you. However, looks like it's the best we can get now after all these years.

EDIT2:

Editor is also of the "latest" version, meaning no hatchery/lair. I desperately tried to do some hex editing on the files, trying to make the in-game variables work (keeper variables) - failed miserably. This game version is fubar.

EDIT3:

Interesting finding I just did. As a matter of fact, the maps totally IGNORE the (mapname)Variables.kld file. The game checks for the file existence, but it never uses the contents! I blanked out (NULL'ed) the whole file and guess what? The game worked perfectly fine. However, when you create a GLOBALS file, they use DEFAULT values of keeper properties, even if you modify the keeper. The keeper properties are correctly saved to the Variables file. If you do not create the global file, the game will read the default global file.

In simple words: whatever you do, the game will never see the changes for the keeper. What kind of retarded s**t is that.

Game file load priority:

Globals (map, stores DEFAULT Variables for keeper, never modifies them)
    Globals (default, stores all stuff in the world)

There is a possibility that I am wrong, and the Globals do not store the Variables for keeper. Then the priority is as following:

Globals (map, stores units, objects, spells, but not keepers)
    a. Globals (default, stores all stuff in the world (including the keeper)
    b. Hardcoded Variables (this file may exist inside the game code, in this case, it stores all Variables info about keepers, default Globals doesn't)

In any scenario, these are the logical conclusions:

a. keeper properties are modified and saved correctly (unlike was thought before, editor DOES make the changes to the file)
    b. the Variables file is never used, because another file has a higher priority, or the external read command fails on the file

Possible solutions:

a. find and modify the Variable/Global file in resources permanently
    b. find a way to make the external Variables file readable.

The patch was made by timeslip, a well known reverse-engineering hacker and modder who fixed many games.
    See his personal page here: http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/, he made fixes for fallout, morrowind, crimson skies etc...

Timeslip is also pretty active on the gog forum (e.g. in this post for the DK2 patch http://www.gog.com/en/forum/dungeon_..._patch_working) and gives support there for his patch(es). I think he will be intrested in well-founded technical feed-back and potentially also willing in fixing regressions and other annoyences with the 1.7 version. cheers!
    Last edited by helsinkiharbour; July 14th, 2012 at 11:39.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Interesting. I think it could be worth a try to ask him for his help, if he accepts.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    Interesting. I think it could be worth a try to ask him for his help, if he accepts.
    Well, if somebody will contribute to the list of things that need to be fixed in 1.7, I will contribute. Looks like that after 13 years there might be hope

Ok, as first small step into the ultimate fixed version, I identified the changes in the GOG 1.7 version. Seems just 5 bytes "ddraw" to "patch" (the wrapper DLL by timeslip). After introducing this redirect into a 1.73 and 1.8 version exe, both seems to work well with the gog installation and timeslip's wrapper DLL. So we can have the fixes of timeslip and the 1.73 together now.
    http://keeperklan.com/threads/1051-U...ll=1#post39952 (I tried to also 1.3 but this seemed not to work...)

Use 1.3 and 1.51, please. F**ck 1.73 and semi-patch 1.8.

I was not able to run 1.3 at all (this version), the on-start-black-screen-and-instant-back-to-desktop-problem. I'm not sure what's the reason as I tried the several workarounds which are floating around in the web. The only version which worked for me is the timeslip patched one. And the 1.3 exe seems not work with the timeslip's patch.dll. Version 1.51 I didn't tried up to now (some direct link to exe somewhere?).

Beside, can you please test if the unlimited zoom works with your working 1.3 installation? (still need someone to check the bytes, see here)
    Last edited by helsinkiharbour; August 3rd, 2012 at 12:26.