Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Questions about stuff you can find in the game files? This is a terrble title.

Imp

Default Questions about stuff you can find in the game files? This is a terrble title.

Hi, I hope this is in the right section, my apologies if it isn't. I have a few questions relating to features in the game that unfortunately I cannot check myself, as I have Dungeon Keeper FX installed, so I won't know how much has been changed.

1) Attraction Criteria for Heroes.

Do the Heroes in Dungeon Keeper have any specific attraction criteria? It's been ages since I've played a non-FX version of the game. I don't think they do, as I've played a Heroes campaign and random Heroes just got fired out of my Portal constantly. I was looking through some files, and I noticed some Heroes had Room requirements (e.g. Archers required 1 tile of Guard Post to be attracted).

Basically, do Heroes have any attraction requirements in vanilla Dungeon Keeper?

(on a side note, has DK FX changed any room requirements for creatures? I saw some for Ghosts and Horned Reapers, but I don't know if they were included in FX, or were there to begin with but inaccessible due to them not being in the pool.)

2) Cut content (especially creature spells)

I don't know how much there is in the way of cut content in DK, I don't expect any creatures that never made it lying around somewhere semi-coded or anything. I remember hearing about a creature spell version of the Chicken keeper spell, but I don't know if this is true. Whether it is or not, are there any other cut creature spells? I saw a lot in some ingame files, quite a few I didn't recognise. Are there any cut keeper spells, rooms or traps and doors? If so, what can you guys tell me about them/where can I find out about them?

Thank you for your time guys, if I think of anything else, I'll try to add it on (if that's okay with you )

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: Questions about stuff you can find in the game files? This is a terrble title.

KeeperFX uses DragonsLover's patch, so no it is not the same as the exact original. Heroes originally had no attraction data but I can't remember if Creature attraction data was changed. However, spell sets and other Creature statistics have been changed in numerous ways. It's been a while since I played or looked at DL's patch as the last time I played DK1 was when I was testing out my own patch.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

LOL, WFTO

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Default Re: Questions about stuff you can find in the game files? This is a terrble title.

1) All heroes attraction requirements have been removed since, but my old patch still kept my previous changes. Silly me.
    2) Chicken and Disease creature spells exist, but I think they have been removed simply because they're too powerful and unbalance the game. As for cut creatures, I once saw a strange red creature thing on an alpha version screenshot, but I think it was the "old" version of the demon spawn. As for all the unused files that come along with the game, they're simply files used for the alpha version of the game.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Imp

Thanks for your help guys

Do you know anything else about the cut content, or is it only what you yourselves have heard? Is it possible to access it or find out more?
    Also, is there anywhere that hosts some of the game files or such? As I have Windows 7 64-bit, I can't actually install the game properly, so I'm using FX, and I want to look at the original files to see what is different.

Gamer IDs

Download the Goodies CD of the Collector edition of Dungeon Keeper. You should have screenshots and movies about the Alpha version of the game. I remember also getting a CD about Bullfrog which contains more stuff about the Alpha version of the game, notably videos. Check this section to watch them.

What happened to that Alpha version? It was replaced by the final version. Only Bullfrog may still have copies of that early version.

Finally, still on DK.net, you can get the Dungeon Keeper Gold image CD. If you want to explore the cut files, you can use DKTools which allow to browse through the sprites.

Imp

Thank you very much for your help now I have the original files I can find out stuff for myself. Thank you for the files, and for the information about the Alpha

Imp

Sorry for the double-post but I've found some interesting stuff while pulling the game apart (but I'm sure you guys probably know it all anyway :P)

Icons for the Chicken creature spell do exist, but oddly, aren't the same as the keeper spell. Instead of using a chicken as an icon, the creature spell uses images of a white egg. There also appears to be images of a whip grouped in with the creature spells. Does anyone know what that could do? There are lots of ideas, such as a whip weapon for the Mistress, a way to convert creatures faster during torturing by hitting them (similar to what Mistresses do in DK2), or perhaps to tie in with the Must Obey spell, a way of hypnotising enemy creatures? What are everyone's thoughts?

Gamer IDs

The icon for the Chicken spell is wrong. I think it was meant to be the icon for the Light spell, which exists, but doesn't do anything. The icon for the Chicken spell is supposed to be like the Keeper "Turn to chicken" spell.

As for the "Whip" creature spell, I have no idea. Perhaps an idea that was planned. Perhaps something to the Dark Mistress to speed up her allies or make the Torture Chamber more efficient? Nobody knows, excepted Bullfrog.

But why is this important?

Imp

Really? Wow, how do you know all this? Do you know how the Light spell may have worked? Where does it 'exist'?
    It's not important as such, I'm just wondering, and honestly, I find it really interesting.

Sorry for being a pain :P
    Last edited by Spatulade; August 2nd, 2012 at 01:02.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spatulade View Post
    Really? Wow, how do you know all this? Do you know how the Light spell may have worked? Where does it 'exist'?
    It's not important as such, I'm just wondering, and honestly, I find it really interesting.
    Light Spell could be applied to Possession and Hero Party Leaders. If you notice, they're both illuminating.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

LOL, WFTO