Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Modifications of my upcoming patch

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: Modifications of my upcoming patch

He hasn't been on since the 25th of April. Worth pointing out I think.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    He hasn't been on since the 25th of April. Worth pointing out I think.
    And you prepared something a while ago for DL to check,... do you still have an overview of the changes DL made to KeeperFX that should be reverted?

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    And you prepared something a while ago for DL to check,... do you still have an overview of the changes DL made to KeeperFX that should be reverted?
    I don't know / remember what you're even referring to. Any discussion I had with DL about his patch was made public. So the only thing I would have been preparing for him would be a post, and considering the length of how long the posts were in these patch discussions, it's entirely possible I put it off / never finished the post and eventually forgot about it until it reached a point of the discussion being irrelevant.

The main thing I discussed with DL before regarding the details of his patch involves balance changes or questioning on the reasoning behind certain changes that seem strange and / or unnecessary. Last I heard, DL was making a 4th version of his patch. There could be a 5th or later version now even, if he still pursues with that. I don't remember if my last discussion with him was about the 3rd or 4th version of his patch.

The only other thing I can think that I prepared for DL to check was when I tried to revert FX back to the original settings and prepared files for it. I asked DL / Mefisto to check over them just in case anything was 'wrong' with certain things like Spell data. I posted those files though, but I don't remember the thread they're in. I don't think they ever ended up being used though.

Pretty much any change DL made to FX should be reverted in my opinion. I'm on the stance that FX should have the original game by default, considering a large sum of people play FX out of lack of choice as there's no other way to get DK1 to run on newer machines. I doubt said people are signing up to have all these patch adjustments, a lot of them being subjective on how to 'improve' the game. Even if they're objectively better changes, nostalgia is probably more important to a lot of people.

Tesonu is napping!

I indeed referred to the set you prepared for DL was in reverting the changes DL made to KeeperFX. It was two pages ago in this tread that you posted the reverting of those changes integrated with version 0.42. DL said he would review them and integrate them back into FX. Mefistoteles said he was happy to have somebody do so, but he wasn't going to do so himself. At that point DL moved away from Dungeon Keeper,..... and now the default installation has all kind of stat- and spell changes that have some peculiar results.

But, as you were able to undo the changes to 0.42, you must have had at some point an overview of which changes DL has made in the first place, which I agree with you need to be undone in KFX.

Spider

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmcast View Post
    If your supposed 'expert balance advice' to DragonsLover was anything as ludicrous, passive-aggressive and long-winded as your advice to me, I can see why he hasn't even wanted to sign in to this forum since April. I can only suggest that you stick to working on your own projects instead of giving useless, tactless destructive criticism to others.
    Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I indeed referred to the set you prepared for DL was in reverting the changes DL made to KeeperFX. It was two pages ago in this tread that you posted the reverting of those changes integrated with version 0.42. DL said he would review them and integrate them back into FX. Mefistoteles said he was happy to have somebody do so, but he wasn't going to do so himself. At that point DL moved away from Dungeon Keeper,..... and now the default installation has all kind of stat- and spell changes that have some peculiar results.

But, as you were able to undo the changes to 0.42, you must have had at some point an overview of which changes DL has made in the first place, which I agree with you need to be undone in KFX.
    I don't have an overview of DL's changes. What I did was look over the original creature.txt file and probably also the Ancient Keeper campaign files then undo. The trickiest part was getting things like the rules or spells, since FX has a lot more settings than the original DK1. There's things like cast rules that I'm not sure about because I can't view the original cast rule settings as they're not on display in original files and custom Campaigns, thus I can't go to Ancient Keeper for an additional reference.

I'm pretty sure you could look around for DL's patch and it should have a change log for all the things he did. You're probably looking for the second or third version he released though. DL stopped supporting FX with his patch based on the backlash that the community had or various other problems that arose, although it wasn't entirely his decision to have FX carry his patch by default if I recall correctly. FX should have been reverted back then and there, I would think, but it didn't as I'm sure you're now aware. There's another thing to note, and that's that not all of FX's settings come from DL's patch. The Horned Reaper has Protect or something if I'm not mistaken, and that's a change Mefisto made, not DL. DL was against the idea.

Really, I just need to have those files I posted looked over to make sure everything is correct. They probably need to be updated so that they can be properly implemented into the latest version of FX.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmcast View Post
    If your supposed 'expert balance advice' to DragonsLover was anything as ludicrous, passive-aggressive and long-winded as your advice to me, I can see why he hasn't even wanted to sign in to this forum since April. I can only suggest that you stick to working on your own projects instead of giving useless, tactless destructive criticism to others.
    As usual, you couldn't be more wrong with your baseless accusations or arguments. DL's absence from KK has nothing to do with the discussions we had, considering that they ended over a year, maybe even about two years ago depending on what discussions you consider to be relevant. DL has stayed around for much longer, even after I became more or less absent from the DK1 scene as I moved more towards working on the DK2 patch. His disappearance is completely unrelated to me. Last time I checked, we're on pretty good terms and I think he's a pretty decent fellow.

It's pretty hypocritical to make such accusations towards me, when here you are, hopping on a developed thread for the first time, after being gone for months, only to criticize me without anything to add to relevant discussion. Your 'criticism' isn't even that, it leans closer towards an attack to damage my character and reputation, especially given the context of which you post in.

Check your own facts first before you make accusations like that. Even if you do, don't even bother joining into a discussion when all you have to offer is 'criticism' on an individual's personal character, as all you're doing at that point is starting a flame war. This last statement is not a request from a normal user, it is an order from a staff member. Any replies you have to this need to be taken elsewhere, this thread is not the place for that.

I will remove any additional posts made here that is not relevant to the thread's topic.

Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    I don't have an overview of DL's changes. What I did was look over the original creature.txt file and probably also the Ancient Keeper campaign files then undo. The trickiest part was getting things like the rules or spells, since FX has a lot more settings than the original DK1. There's things like cast rules that I'm not sure about because I can't view the original cast rule settings as they're not on display in original files and custom Campaigns, thus I can't go to Ancient Keeper for an additional reference.

I'm pretty sure you could look around for DL's patch and it should have a change log for all the things he did. You're probably looking for the second or third version he released though. DL stopped supporting FX with his patch based on the backlash that the community had or various other problems that arose, although it wasn't entirely his decision to have FX carry his patch by default if I recall correctly. FX should have been reverted back then and there, I would think, but it didn't as I'm sure you're now aware. There's another thing to note, and that's that not all of FX's settings come from DL's patch. The Horned Reaper has Protect or something if I'm not mistaken, and that's a change Mefisto made, not DL. DL was against the idea.

Really, I just need to have those files I posted looked over to make sure everything is correct. They probably need to be updated so that they can be properly implemented into the latest version of FX.
    That was what I was afraid of,... reverting changes to how they were in the creature.txt is one thing, but there may be many other changes. The best thing would be for there to be a changelog,.. I've seen some of them, but none of them seem to match the current KFX state. I'll see if I can find DL's patch and if there's the correct changelog included, and see if perhaps the Google code repository provides the information we need.

I'm aware of the situation, I've been lurking this forum for quite a while before I signed up.

Since last post I raised an issue on the tracker, after which Mefistotelis reverted some changes in r1427, but a lot of DL-changes still remain. Most problematic I think are the new spells that don't fit the creatures, and some other annoying things like the thieves that go exploring.

Also, what really bugs me, are the problems with the new fear algorithm.

I have decided to share a patch, which reverts the changes: http://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=111
    Once downloaded, simply run the patch and the dragonslover changes are gone. Can be repeated every time you download a new version/nightly simply by double-clicking the patch again.

Also, I've included all the changes I though we should keep, just commented out, so everybody can adept to his own preference.