Thread: Matchmaking / online matches

Default Matchmaking / online matches

Hello everyone!
    Is there a place where one can find opponents for a online match (e.g. via Hamachi TCP/IP tunneling)? Maybe a forum? Populous Reincarnation project has a special piece of software allowing people to make matches. Why should KeeperFX lack such an amazing possibility? I'm even ready to do all the coding if I get the cooperation from the authors of KeeperFX. Your suggestions?

Default Re: Matchmaking / online matches

I know that the multiplayer code has still to be improved (3 o 4 player make the game unstable). I think it's better to make almost perfect the multiplayer code, and then to create a place to find opponents. Moreover, if you can do coding, I think you can put your effort in improve the multiplayer...

Quote Originally Posted by friscmanseby View Post
    I know that the multiplayer code has still to be improved (3 o 4 player make the game unstable). I think it's better to make almost perfect the multiplayer code, and then to create a place to find opponents. Moreover, if you can do coding, I think you can put your effort in improve the multiplayer...
    Coding the game is pretty different task than coding a matchmaking lobby that just launches the game. Not sure about the first one.

Ghost

Yeah, KeeperFX doesn't work well for 3 or 4 players on multiplayer game, it is very unstable. I have tried it a few times on a LAN. Need to be improved first...

No one is ordering you to do that, but if you want to improve the multiplayer service, I think that improving the multiplayer code is the priority. I don't know your ability, but since it's an open source project, it's worth to give a look according to me

We'll gladly take any help.

I don't really know what is the matchmaker tool, but if it would be helpful, then it's worth making it.

Ghost

Here it is the website about what hedin_hiervard says:
    http://popre.net/

I haven't read it totally but looks like Populous Reincarnated Matchmaker is a system to find online games to play or something similar. Also, info here:
    http://popre.net/new.php

Populous is a Bullfrog game.

But I think a system like that (search online players) will require a server = money to pay the server to keep it always online and accessible, and someone doing the server maintenance...
    Last edited by jomalin; August 8th, 2012 at 11:45.