Thread: DK2 Resolution Problem

Default DK2 Resolution Problem

Hey sorry if this has been said before (I have been scowering the web for the past 2 weeks and found nothing to help me) but I have gotten DK2 off Good Old Games (GOG) but I ran into a certain problem. The entire screen resolution looks like it is 640x480 on my 1366x768 screen. And it is basically a small game window in the middle of my screen surrounded by darkness and it looks horrible. To be honest I can't even bring myself to play it since just going into the options menu gives me a headache...

Now I tried playing with the registry files. Didnt help. I looked in the properties of the shortcut. Didn't help. Now from what I can see is that the game forces my screen resolution to change into 640x480 when I run the game. I think this because when I CTRL+ALT+DEL and it takes me to that Win7 thing with lock computer, switch user etc. It is just a small box in the middle of my screen. It changes back to normal after a few seconds so I have no idea what is causing this. If anyone knows how to fix this please do tell. I would really like to play this game again.

So does anyone know what the problem is?

EDIT:

Any changes to the registry are reset back to whatever they were after I run the game. Windowed mode looks stretched and horrible. I know the game can run better because it ran fine without this problem around 2 years ago, God I wish my friend was still here so I could use his game...

EDIT 2: Anyone D:?
    Last edited by BLazerules; September 3rd, 2012 at 19:02.

Default Re: DK2 Resolution Problem

DK2 was designed for 4:3 displays, that's why you're seeing the black bars on the side.
    You can enable support for 1024 * 768 in the registry and try it out by selecting it from the settings menu.
    The main menu will always draw at 640 * 480, DK2 will switch to the resolution selected in the settings menu when you're in game.

That helped 0% because:
    1) Its already enabled.
    and
    2) The resolution settings in game do absolutely nothing. Sometimes I think they are these just to look pretty since that's all the resolution option does. Sit there and do nothing.

EDIT: Also I don't think this can be considered black bars since they are not bars. Its as if I have a totally black background and someone just stuck a game in windowed mode in the middle and then made it a very small window...
    Last edited by BLazerules; September 5th, 2012 at 15:13.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Try enabling 1024 x 768 mode in the Registry and set the Screen Width and Screen Height values to 1024 and 768, then alter the resolution in-game through the video options. It is not supposed to reset the values back since I just did the changes myself and it works perfectly. Don't forget to start a game to apply the changes.

If you wanna play really fullscreen in a 16:9 resolution, you can't since the game isn't adapted to run like that. You must go with the 4:3 classical resolution and accepts black areas at each side of the screen. But now that you're saying it's a "small window" in the middle of the screen surrounded by black, it's hard to tell. Check in the Registry for Screen Windowed and ensure it's set to 0. Otherwise, I don't see what would cause this. It seems to be related with your video card.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Didn't help. I already don't know what to do. You see I played this game before on this same laptop. Strangely enough it worked perfectly with the resolution of my laptop. And I played this game like what? 7 years ago on my old PC which has a bigger screen than this laptop. And the game worked fine on that. For some it hates my laptop. Seriously it looks like this http://www.mediafire.com/view/?dei9ujricxlk3ym I just can't play the game when it looks so horrible. Not to mention it looks smaller on my screen than it does in a screenshot. All I did was printscreen the game then put it on a black background. Looks pretty much the same as it does when I run it. Just better... Which is the sad thing../

EDIT: Seriously. Download that screenshot. Put it in fullscreen and you will see a better quality image then what I get when I try to play the game... Which probably explains why I am having problems with this.

As you didn't noted that you installed timeslip's graphic patch I assume you didn't.
    Therefore I suggest you to do so as DKII is NOT pre-patched this time on GOG.

(see here for more info http://keeperklan.com/threads/2671-new-patch-on-gog or go to your GOG game account, there is an additional patch available)

Are you talking about the 1.7 patch?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Nope. It's about the new patch made by GOG to solve graphical problems. Check in your account and download the new DK2 patch that they offer.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...