Thread: Hero Party & order troubles

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: LotA

Default Hero Party & order troubles

Hi everyone, i havnn't been here for a while.. Then i discovered this GOG patch that made me feel pretty Horny (dat joke ^^).

So I'm back at mapping..

This time i'm making a coop campaign map : 2 keepers against a hero fortress
    I'm making this map to be able to play with friends (since we can play on w7 i try to convert some friends of mine to this game) that is not 1v1 because it would be lame for them who never played the game / just did the campaign.
    Of course this map will be fully playable to anyone and i'll release a testing version asap and i'll hope some feedback/advices from this community.

So here is my problem :

I basically use hero party to spawn "attacking" heroes, ("defending" heroes are just already on the map).
    I use a script like this one (i removed the "when potal not collapsed" for better reading) :
    i'll use {} to explicit hierarchy as i can't indent my text

when flag 2 = 1 (repeatable)
    {
    flag 5 = 1
    create HP 1 at AP 1 (should attack keeper1)
    flag 5 = 2
    create HP 1 at AP 2 (should attack keeper2)
    flag 2 = 0
    }

flag 2 is my trigger, activated by a timer, reactivated later on, etc...
    flag 5 is my "kill player chooser", see below

In order to control wether the HP attacks keeper1 or keeper2, i hung this script :
    HP1
    (leader) hero creature
    when created (repeatable)
    {
    when flag 5 = 1
    { set objectives "kill player 1" }
    when flag 5 = 2
    { set objectives "kill player2" }
    }

The objective is to use the same HP to attack keeper1 or keeper2 by spawning 2 instances of this HP, the first one looses his scripts (said in the manual) and keep his order on "kill player 1" this works.
    I have a problem in my second HP where only leader of the HP goes to player 2, the other creatures keep going after player1.
    So i could make this script for every creatures of every HP but it would be boringly long (20 HP, more than 100 creatures)
    The problem is that they say in the manual that the followers do the same thing as the leader of a HP which is not the case here.

Does anyone have a idea about what to do here?

Note : the creatures under an HP have default order (ie. attack player1) should i change this ? And then into what ? A "wait" objective ? (gonna test this right on)
    Edit : Does not work, now only leaders attack keeper1/2, all others heroes just wander around (gather over AP1 and the rooms near this point)

Note2 : i'll be re-releasing my other maps as i didnt had enough feedback on them and it's now fully playable (thanks to GoG), i'd like to say i made a final version out of these

Note3 : If you have other coop campaign maps somewhere i'd be thankfull if you can share them cause i didnt found a single one (only 1v1 with heroes inbetween) even in this huge map pack i got from here (i may have not tested everyones)
    Last edited by LotA; September 6th, 2012 at 12:50.
    Does anyone read this ?

DK2 Addict since 1999

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Default Re: Hero Party & order troubles

I haven't touched the editor in ages, let alone sat down and made a map. I can't say I've ever had the problem of hero party members deserting and not following their leader, though.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LotA View Post
    The objective is to use the same HP to attack keeper1 or keeper2 by spawning 2 instances of this HP, the first one looses his scripts (said in the manual) and keep his order on "kill player 1" this works.
    I have a problem in my second HP where only leader of the HP goes to player 2, the other creatures keep going after player1.
    So i could make this script for every creatures of every HP but it would be boringly long (20 HP, more than 100 creatures)
    The problem is that they say in the manual that the followers do the same thing as the leader of a HP which is not the case here.
    If there's one thing mapmaking in Dungeon Keeper has taught me, it is that you cannot trust the manual. Damn the manual. It also speaks of a legendary copy and paste tool for the script that would be so greatly useful, and while I have searched high and low for such a device, I've only found rumors of its existence.

Anyways, it's likely that the problem you're encountering is due to the Hero objectives for the followers not updating properly as their objective is created based off of the Leader's default/initial objective. Note that I'm making an assumption.

Your solution would not be to create a trigger for each party as that would be silly and inefficient. You best create a second copy of the party instead (assuming you don't have additional triggers and actions upon the followers) and have the leader of that party attack Keeper 2. You then use that Flag 5 to determine which party spawns.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Note that i have to switch to RC3 editor when i want to edit trigger under creatures in a HP as pro/classic editor crash, but i use pro editor for everything else as RC3 editor will randomly crash doing anything else...
    You can edit trigger over the HP directly with pro/classic editor, but this won't allow you to change the orders of the HP members
    I also tried "kill player x" and "move to AP" orders, same shit happens.

My guess is that followers actually copy the leader's order in the creature proprieties, but its not refreshed when the leader's orders are changed via trigger
    (tested with leader's order set to "wait" and followers "kill player 1" : followers will wander around).

Edit : Yeah, i would love to have this MAGICAL copy/paste thing..

Anyway i thought of using 2 versions of my HP.. the problem is i have 20 of them that would make a total of 40 and the editor won't let you create more than 24 HP

Edit2 : Isn't there any way to edit trigger via a text file then compile it to mapnameTrigger.kwd ?
    a block note would help me much more than this script tree ^^
    Last edited by LotA; September 6th, 2012 at 14:24.
    Does anyone read this ?

DK2 Addict since 1999

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Note that i have to switch to RC3 editor when i want to edit trigger under creatures in a HP as pro/classic editor crash, but i use pro editor for everything else as RC3 editor will randomly crash doing anything else...
    You can edit trigger over the HP directly with pro/classic editor, but this won't allow you to change the orders of the HP members
    I also tried "kill player x" and "move to AP" orders, same shit happens.
    Yes I'm familiar with the RC3 and Pro Editor traits being that I use them (well the latter really) almost daily as apart of my balance patch. RC3 is really only used for very specific things such as placing Lair/Hatchery tiles and adding actions to Hero Party Triggers. It isn't very stable otherwise as it'll even crash when you go to Keeper properties, so you shouldn't use that one for anything beyond that.

My guess is that followers actually copy the leader's order in the creature proprieties, but its not refreshed when the leader's orders are changed via trigger
    (tested with leader's order set to "wait" and followers "kill player 1" : followers will wander around).
    Yeah the issue with refreshment is what I stated there.

Edit : Yeah, i would love to have this MAGICAL copy/paste thing..
    We (the professional/serious mapmakers) all would.

Anyway i thought of using 2 versions of my HP.. the problem is i have 20 of them that would make a total of 40 and the editor won't let you create more than 24 HP

Edit2 : Isn't there any way to edit trigger via a text file then compile it to mapnameTrigger.kwd ?
    a block note would help me much more than this script tree ^^
    Well there's not much to say there. Either reduce your party count to 12 somehow (Easier said than done I'm sure) or you'll just have to add triggers and actions manually. Nothing can really be done about that as far as I know.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Yes I'm familiar with the RC3 and Pro Editor traits being that I use them (well the latter really) almost daily as apart of my balance patch. RC3 is really only used for very specific things such as placing Lair/Hatchery tiles and adding actions to Hero Party Triggers. It isn't very stable otherwise as it'll even crash when you go to Keeper properties, so you shouldn't use that one for anything beyond that.
    I learned that - the hard way - on my previous map, you also forgotten to say RC3 can be used to place unclaimed mana vault as pro/classic will either create a claimed by "purple" mana vault or simply make the game crash as you "see" the mana vault ingame (when u place it having "neutral player" active in the script tree).

Well there's not much to say there. Either reduce your party count to 12 somehow (Easier said than done I'm sure) or you'll just have to add triggers and actions manually. Nothing can really be done about that as far as I know.
    Quite hard indeed, I already have "2 versions" of my HP : one with low levels (1~4) and one with higher level (5~10).
    Does anyone read this ?

DK2 Addict since 1999