Thread: Editor - A few problems (crash, mouse, save) + question

Default Editor - A few problems (crash, mouse, save) + question

Ok, yes I have been following the example above but there's a few things that prevent me from working a map.

1. The game crashes whenever I place a unit (of any type or colour). I was looking at the other thread with the save/load crashes, but I think I installed correctly.
    Since not all the Dungeon Keeper files were on my DK gold cd (I used your links too), I borrowed a few from the FX folder. Would this cause problems?

2. I believe this is unfixable, as you said use the map to explore. But I take it the mouse speed cannot be fixed? It booms through.

3. When saving a map, How do you seperate your map from others? If I picked my first map as #233, what prevents a custom #233 to replace it?

I can't wait till make my first campaign, I love to show it to you lot. Take a few trial and errors to learn how its created though

*edited*
    Last edited by Blackgaze; October 10th, 2012 at 17:13.

Default Re: Editor - A few problems (crash, mouse, save) + question

Ok #1 fixed

I have no idea why, but I was either missing some data files, or I had the wrong ones.
    still the other two at least to answer

Anyway let's get started!

-EDIT-

Everything was going well. I finished my map + script. But when I access the editor, it crashes on save/load. I hope I can save my map! Any suggestions?

-editedit-

Fixed. Apparently the editor does not like "custom names" when editing.
    I changed my custom name back to "Level21" and it worked fine. You might want to add this fix on the main stickey, as others have this problem too.
    Last edited by Blackgaze; October 10th, 2012 at 22:48.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Quote Originally Posted by Blackgaze
    2. I believe this is unfixable, as you said use the map to explore. But I take it the mouse speed cannot be fixed? It booms through.
    The mouse isn't supposed to be speed up as well. It should respect the actual mouse speed of your computer. Try reducing the mouse sensitivity of the Windows mouse. Otherwise, I have no idea.

3. When saving a map, How do you seperate your map from others? If I picked my first map as #233, what prevents a custom #233 to replace it?
    The files that identify levels are either .LOF or .LIF files. They both serve as putting titles to the levels.
    .LOF files are mainly used to avoid the levels to show up in the Deeper Dungeons level list (either campaigns or multiplayer levels). Under KeeperFX, it has been changed to put more options. Just open up a .LOF file of the original campaign to see how it works.
    .LIF files are used to show the levels in the Deeper Dungeons level list. That's a generic file to set it as a free play level.
    You don't have to create a .LIF or .LOF file for every single level. You can add multiple lines into a file to "group" titles of levels.

So, if you want to ensure you don't overwrite a level, be sure that the numbers are different. Otherwise, you'd have to play in these files to rename their level numbers, but also the level files.

Fixed. Apparently the editor does not like "custom names" when editing.
    I changed my custom name back to "Level21" and it worked fine. You might want to add this fix on the main stickey, as others have this problem too.
    No, the editor supports custom names. Ensure it doesn't overlap with another level of the same number. I've written a warning line in bold yellow in my post-it topic, you have to follow that rule in order to avoid problems.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    The mouse isn't supposed to be speed up as well. It should respect the actual mouse speed of your computer. Try reducing the mouse sensitivity of the Windows mouse. Otherwise, I have no idea.

The files that identify levels are either .LOF or .LIF files. They both serve as putting titles to the levels.
    .LOF files are mainly used to avoid the levels to show up in the Deeper Dungeons level list (either campaigns or multiplayer levels). Under KeeperFX, it has been changed to put more options. Just open up a .LOF file of the original campaign to see how it works.
    .LIF files are used to show the levels in the Deeper Dungeons level list. That's a generic file to set it as a free play level.
    You don't have to create a .LIF or .LOF file for every single level. You can add multiple lines into a file to "group" titles of levels.

So, if you want to ensure you don't overwrite a level, be sure that the numbers are different. Otherwise, you'd have to play in these files to rename their level numbers, but also the level files.

No, the editor supports custom names. Ensure it doesn't overlap with another level of the same number. I've written a warning line in bold yellow in my post-it topic, you have to follow that rule in order to avoid problems.

I saw about the same level number. But this was my first map and only map (#200), there were no other 200 maps in that folder or the others in the dungeon keeper. It was only when reverting the name back to default it worked.
    So I might need more detail on this

-UPDATE-

I started to make my second map, and the problem returned regardless of the name.
    But my two maps (200 and 201) are both different, why should it be crashing? They are not the same number?
    Last edited by Blackgaze; October 11th, 2012 at 14:09.

Maybe you're using some kind of special character in the name?

Anyway, here are some details about LIFs and LOFs:
    https://code.google.com/p/keeperfx/w...yingCustomMaps

and here's something about creating new campaigns:
    https://code.google.com/p/keeperfx/s..._campaigns.txt

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    Maybe you're using some kind of special character in the name?

Anyway, here are some details about LIFs and LOFs:
    https://code.google.com/p/keeperfx/w...yingCustomMaps

and here's something about creating new campaigns:
    https://code.google.com/p/keeperfx/s..._campaigns.txt
    I managed to get things back to normal but removing the DDISK1 lif and DDISK MP and DKLEVELS lof from the folder and now it doesn't have any problems.
    Obviously your guide said to keep these in, but these doesn't seem to be affecting the way I create, save and play maps anymore.

What could go wrong?

Official Map Editor has no ability to read LOFs - it can only understand LIFs.

But I have no idea why it doesn't like your LIFs. You could try to check which exact file is causing the problem (by just removing them one by one and checking if it started working).