Thread: Damage for Word of Power trap.

Default Damage for Word of Power trap.

Hi everyone, I've another question: the damage for Word of Power trap is the same of the Spell? Because in magic.cfg I see just one word of power parameter...

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: Damage for Word of Power trap.

Quote Originally Posted by friscmanseby View Post
    Hi everyone, I've another question: the damage for Word of Power trap is the same of the Spell? Because in magic.cfg I see just one word of power parameter...
    If I were to take a guess, I would say no, as even when the WoP spell didn't work, the trap did. Back when the spell didn't work, it had a damage value of like 4000 written internally I think, as it was a supposed failed attempt to get the spell to work properly in the original. So if they did refer to the same value, then the Trap would probably have dealt super massive damage in the original and earlier versions of FX, which it didn't.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

I know that the trap in the original game deal 200 damage, and it's editable (I guess), just I can't see how the trap damage is configurable in KeeperFX... Because in trapdoor there's only the number of shots and the recharge time and in magic there's only 1 Word of Power (maybe they merged since WOP began to work)...

Quote Originally Posted by friscmanseby View Post
    I know that the trap in the original game deal 200 damage, and it's editable (I guess), just I can't see how the trap damage is configurable in KeeperFX... Because in trapdoor there's only the number of shots and the recharge time and in magic there's only 1 Word of Power (maybe they merged since WOP began to work)...
    I don't recall it being editable at all in the original. I did a quick check in the creat.txt file and I don't see anything beyond normal trap editing data. (shots, etc)

Tesonu is napping!

The code never lies:
    Code:
    /**
     * Applies damage the Word Of Power spell makes to all things in the area surrounding given position.
     * @param efftng The thing which is WOP effect originator.
     * @param owntng The thing being affected by the spell.
     * @param pos Position where the WOP effect center is.
     * @param max_dist Range of the WOP spell effect, in map coordinates.
     */
    void word_of_power_affecting_area(struct Thing *efftng, struct Thing *owntng, struct Coord3d *pos, MapCoord max_dist)
    {
    [...]
        HitPoints max_damage;
        long blow_strength;
        //TODO CONFIG Damage and blow of WOP shouldn't be hardcoded
        max_damage = 150;
        blow_strength = 0;
    [...]
    Note: It's only for traps, creatures currently have their own code.
    Last edited by mefistotelis; January 22nd, 2013 at 21:05.

Great Mefisto, let me do some other question:
    So it's hardcoded the damage for WOP trap? Even in the original game is hardcoded, right? Whereas the Lightning trap have it's own setting (I've seen in magic.cfg), right? The blow of WOP creature spell it's editable or hardcoded?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

I think that the spell was not only supposed to cause some massive damage, but also push enemy creatures around in order for them to use their ranged attacks more often. As for the trap, I really think it should deal a greater amount of damage without pushing creatures this time. For only 3 shots, the trap should really be used to massively damage the enemy creatures. Otherwise, the trap would be too weak. Even the trap would be better. Considering that the power is among the strongest, and since the trap is among the latest to be manufactured, the trap should be meant to be deadly. My opinion would be that it should deal over 200 or 300 points of damage minimum.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

I think the push-back effect is what distinguishes WOP to other traps/spells, so it should be used for both creature spell and trap trigger.

We already have a trap which deals damage - as you've pointed out, it's lightning trap. I think it would be nice for WOP trap to do average damage, but to also push the creatures - far enough to trigger another nearby trap or to push victim into lava.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

I see the Lightning trap for doing multiple zaps of small damage, just enough to kill low level imps. The way it is already is fine. As for the Word of Power trap, the damage must be much more massive, considering how strong it should be. And I think it could be nice to make it push minions as well. A medium 300 damage points along with its pushback effect would be good imho, and still, I may be too generous.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    I see the Lightning trap for doing multiple zaps of small damage, just enough to kill low level imps. The way it is already is fine. As for the Word of Power trap, the damage must be much more massive, considering how strong it should be. And I think it could be nice to make it push minions as well. A medium 300 damage points along with its pushback effect would be good imho, and still, I may be too generous.
    Hard to say if the Lightning Trap is just for small damage, as it's not really that easy to judge the levels of a Player's units or Enemy units. But I would consider the Lightning Trap meant to deal large damage to more individual targets, not just for killing loads of enemy Imps. The Word of Power Trap differs in that it is essentially an upgraded Gas Trap in terms of function, dealing more damage to groups. If the Word of Power Trap deals too much damage, well then it kind of destroys the Lightning Trap's purpose as it will deal more damage regardless.

So yeah, I would settle on 300 damage or something like that to make sure the damage isn't so high that it becomes the easy choice over other Traps, aside from maybe the Boulder.

Tesonu is napping!