Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My review of the Evil Keeper campaign

Warlock

Default My review of the Evil Keeper campaign

Okay, I don't know if this has ever been done before, but I'm going to review a whole campaign.

Evil Keeper.

Ok, this is an, interesting campaign. The First level is pretty sweet. I get a free , and my base is made for me. I look to the southeast and find that my enemy has 5 Dark Mistresses, but... no hatchery or lair! What the fuck? You'd think their dungeon would provide accommodation for the minions. That level was far too easy due to planning failures, and gets a 2/5 from me. The second level is a bit more of a challenge with the two rival keepers, although I can cut off the gems from the enemy and there's little challenge, so it's a 3/5. Level three, on the other hand, had put me under pressure from both keepers, since my gold supply was limited, and the gems in the realm were in contested territory, making it difficult, if not outright impossible to use them. However, this realm was spoiled by the fact that there was a multiply creatures special I'd give it a 3/5, although if there was no multiply creatures, it would be a 4. Level 4 felt familiar. Oh wait, it's a carbon copy of level 1, which is an automatic 0/5.

Level 5, is where things get interesting. you are facing three rival keepers at the same time. However, their presence was far too immediate, meaning that you had to rush to win, while they should have been at their own corners of the map 3/5. Throughout this campaign, I noticed that the game was recycling campaign messages from Dungeon Keeper, rather than creating new ones. Level 6 was decent enough for a hero map where you were defending yourself against hero attacks. However, there were problems with the waves not having power behind them. So i'd give it a high 3/5. Level 7 was a decent enough map where it is abundantly clear that the developer had learned from levels 1 and 4, and you had to fortify yourself before he attacked. I'd give it a 4/5. Level 8, on the other hand, was clearly aping Mirthshire (one of the best levels in the main campaign), but didn't time delay the tunnelers to allow you some breathing space. Overall, I'd give it a high 3/5.

Level 9 was a very well designed level, where your rival was clearly going to stomp you if you didn't act fast, and the Lord of the Land came along with a decent army, for once. The only complaint about this level was the fact that I didn't have enough gem faces to sustain my economy, but otherwise, it gets a 5/5. Level 10 was a mediocre map with very little to discuss, and was a 3/5. Level 11 was an all-round solid level where you had to act fast to rescue an imprisoned , and defeat the heroes. I also liked the use of boulder traps in this map, so I'd give it a 4/5. Level 12, on the other hand, let me down. It put the rival Keeper far too close to you, didn't give them gems, and wasn't much of a challenge. The hero forces, on the other hand, were adequate, and really felt like a force to be reckoned with, so I'd give it 3/5.

The 12th +1 Level was a good idea with decent execution, where you had to fight hard for any advantage, and you could really feel the pressure of two Keeper armies bearing down on you, so I'd give it a 4/5. Level 14 was also a decent Keeper v Keeper level, where fighting and aggression were emphasised above all else, and also gets a 4/5. Level 15 was one of the best levels in this campaign, where you were surrounded on all sides by the heroes and you felt that you were under seige, with hero waves coming in to make your life a misery. Another perfect 5. Level 16 was mediocre at best, suffering from the same problem as level 8, and also put too much emphasis on aggression and speed. Thus it gets a 2/5.

Level 17 was a solid level that gave you lots of resources to mount an attack on a well-defended hero fortress as well as face off hero waves, and gets a 4/5. Level 18 built on Level 17 quite well, and also gets a 4/5. Level 19, on the other hand, was far too easy, and suffered from the same problems as Level 3 (i.e. you could starve your enemies), and so gets a 3/5. Level 20, for a grand finale, was a complete let down. Just as you start getting built up, and get a free , a massive hero force comes in and wiped you out, even if you transfer a from a previous level. It got so difficult that I had to give myself a squad of just to have a fighting chance. Afterward, there was far too little pressure, especially since you could just seal away the heroes and mount an attack at your leisure, which is why I give it a 2/5.

All in all, it gets a C, with 64%

Default Re: My review of the Evil Keeper campaign

now do the heroes use gust whenever they start fighting, like the witch/priestess? and do they use their reflection shields?

Warlock

That's core mechanics issues. I am talking about the campaign itself.

im not sure if ive tried that campaign, but i was just asking to see if you had this issue,
    im currently playing the burdened imp campaign. i do agree that it is a pain in the ass competing for gems, but then again that does make it more challenging to manage you dungeon and controle the gem spot

Nice review!

I didn't realised there are two identical levels in that campaign. Maybe we should replace one of them?

Also, remember that it's one of first campaigns created - made probably with first version of UnDed, when there was no official editor.
    This is why scripting is very simple - there wasn't much knowledge about script commands back then.
    Last edited by mefistotelis; May 30th, 2013 at 11:52.

Warlock

Will there be a revised version of Evil Keeper Campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    Will there be a revised version of Evil Keeper Campaign?
    My job is more of a coder that balancer/mapmaker, so I only fix bugs in levels.

Someone would have to play it and prepare a list of possible improvements, then we may search for a mapmaker who would make it happen.

Actually, I think it would be beneficial if someone took care of the campaigns.
    We have DragonsLover who prepares such changes, but 20 campaigns is simply too much for one person.

Warlock

Ok, here's my recommendations for revisions

Level 1
    - Give both Keepers Gems
    - Move the Keeper further south and give them lairs and hatcheries
    - Heroes make more appearances in this realm rather than at the end.

Level 2
    - Give the other Keepers gems as well.

Level 3
    - Move the gems to a place where they will be more hotly contested.

Level 4
    - Completely new level.

Level 5
    - Move the 3 Keepers to separate corners, and have them opposing each other.

Level 6
    - Greater hero presence rather than the small base in the middle and the gate to the northwest.
    - Remove your prebuilt dungeon.

Level 7
    - Add bigger lava lakes in this realm.
    - Stronger hero presence.

Level 8
    - Put in a time delay for the Tunnellers showing up.

Level 9
    - Player gets two extra gem faces

Level 10
    - Mnothing to suggest, apart from having the Gems further away from triggering a Lord of The Land attack.

Level 11
    - Perfect as is.

Level 12
    - Add another keeper to the realm, and switch the Blues and the Heroes around.
    - In turn, move the Green Keeper to where the Heroes used to be, while the Blues are moved to the southwest.
    - Move the gems deeper into the new hero base while the large Gem vein to the north is more dispersed.

Level 12+1
    - Perfect as is.

Level 14
    - nothing to suggest

Level 15
    - nothing to suggest

Level 16
    - Make the heroes a bit less aggressive. I like levels where you have to use your full capabilities to win, and you don't really get to do that in this realm. As well as that, create two more hero bases. Once they are all down, the strikes with his army.

Level 17
    - No suggestions

Level 18
    - No suggestions

Level 19
    - Everyone gets gems, and the Blues and Greens are at each other's throats, but one won't fall until you step in directly
    - Hero presence is bolstered significantly

Level 20
    - More hero waves between the first attack and the first popping up.

This is the only campaign for which level descriptions do not have written English script.

The mentor for this campaign is only in German.
    If anyone could write down the german script from sound files, that would be helpful in translating it and recording in English.

This was already mentioned in 2011 when I was integrating all the additional campaigns, but somehow still isn't done.

Hi Guys i have used these forums for a few years now but this is my first post.
    I was hoping someone could give me some advice on what i think is level 15.
    You start with 2 portals at each end of you base and the human forces spawn and seige
    your base, i have been trying to use traps mostly to control the attacking forces but
    i have had no luck at defeating the level.