• Bile Demon

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

3 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favourite creature to transfer

Default Re: Favourite creature to transfer

Quote Originally Posted by TBC_x View Post
    High level priestess as she's good at soloing out early waves of enemies. She saved me from restart a couple of times.
    Agreed, but only if you constantly control her by himself, otherwise she may create additional troubles. Actually i think what she might be more usefull without Poison Cloud spell. Iirc, specialy thread about her is on forum.
    Last edited by VoidWeaver; June 10th, 2013 at 14:17.

Warlock

Yeah, the spell is fucking broken.

I'd probably go for the Wizard . He's the best researcher, he has Freeze and can deflect enemy spells.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

It depends of the level, in fact. You'll always pick the strongest minion. In order, it could be something like: and so on, something like that.

The Avatar would be obvious, but only if you have him in your army which is rather rare. In DK1 original campaign, you can't get him to transfer.
    Horny would be a good choice, but only if you can handle him with care at the beginning of the next level. Build a lair and hatchery quick and mine tons of gold! It's a so-so choice.
    The Knight would be my choice, then it would be the Samurai.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

A high Vampire all the way, although in the original DK1 campaign that pretty much guarantees victory in a level since he's practically invincible.

Edit: Poll closed, awww.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Most times the knight. I transferred one through all levels where the transfer was available and therefore could most times destroy all enemy keepers shortly after beginning . Too sad that the transferred creature seems to be created newly after the start of every level with new name and stats, it would be really interesting to know how many creatures he has killed after beating all the levels.

Beetle

Personally I liked the Mistress and Orc. Both cheap, both extremely powerful. Horny is never worth it to me since he is a pain in the ass until you get a temple which is at the very end of the list of research. Vampires I never liked since while they were practically unkillable, they also didn't really do much damage, once they got drain, that would be all they ever used, which isn't that strong. A mistress would win in a 1 on 1 battle. You are pretty much trading off for a mistress that is a better researcher and can never die, and has jack shit for damage. That is my view on Vampires. I never bothered with Heroes so yeah.

I love the Mistress due to her being a decent researcher, I have had many times where a large chunk of research is already done by the time warlocks start coming in. Her lightning and drain are extremely powerful, with her lightning doing the damage and drain healing, plus speed which ups her damage even more for a short time. Unless she is getting ganged by a lot of enemies, she will often win the battle. And the bonus of using teleport if she is low on health is a +. But this isn't surprising since everyone knows that whoever had the most Mistresses in DK1 was often the winner.

Orc I feel is often underrated. He hits like a truck, he hits even faster with speed. He can keep up with fast enemies like fairies,mistresses and usually take them out way before he falls. He is a good manufacturer. Often times I will get a 5x5 Workshop made and throw him in there to start pumping out the most expensive item I can sell. Which makes the difference in some levels where money is an issue.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shonji View Post
    I love the Mistress due to her being a decent researcher, I have had many times where a large chunk of research is already done by the time warlocks start coming in. Her lightning and drain are extremely powerful, with her lightning doing the damage and drain healing, plus speed which ups her damage even more for a short time. Unless she is getting ganged by a lot of enemies, she will often win the battle. And the bonus of using teleport if she is low on health is a +. But this isn't surprising since everyone knows that whoever had the most Mistresses in DK1 was often the winner.
    I've grown to dislike using Mistresses simply because they feel pretty blatantly OP. Though I did use them more frequently when I was younger. Horned Reapers as well. I forgot what I did in my still unreleased patch to change them but I think a lot of it involved a nerf to Creature Lightning and a slight nerf to Drain. I may have also reduced Mistress walking speed to prevent them from outrunning everything. I'm certain I reduced their Health though.

Orc I feel is often underrated. He hits like a truck, he hits even faster with speed. He can keep up with fast enemies like fairies,mistresses and usually take them out way before he falls. He is a good manufacturer. Often times I will get a 5x5 Workshop made and throw him in there to start pumping out the most expensive item I can sell. Which makes the difference in some levels where money is an issue.
    Orcs are good, solid Creatures, though easy to overlook. However, despite this, I don't think they're really underrated that much. I seem to recall people liking Orcs as units because they're strong and I think the biggest criticism towards the Orc that comes to mind is that they're kinda boring. This is working merely from memory, however. But I would agree with that assessment. Orcs have good capabilities both in battle and out, and they train fast as well, even for mid-game units. If they researched instead of manufacturing, they wouldn't be nearly as effective since researching stops at a point, while manufacturing is infinite.

The problem with Orcs is that they have no flavor. They're viable in many situations, but they have no specialization or any real depth. They're not like Dragons or even Tentacles, which have more interesting functions. Even a Giant is more interesting than a Orc. Not to mention, they also have a striking resemblance to the Troll. I think that is what really is the final straw in making the point that Orcs are not meant to be unique. They are generic, average, fighters.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Beetle

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    I've grown to dislike using Mistresses simply because they feel pretty blatantly OP. Though I did use them more frequently when I was younger. Horned Reapers as well. I forgot what I did in my still unreleased patch to change them but I think a lot of it involved a nerf to Creature Lightning and a slight nerf to Drain. I may have also reduced Mistress walking speed to prevent them from outrunning everything. I'm certain I reduced their Health though.
    I agree they are OP as hell. I would think they are similar to the Fairy. Heavy damage, fast, but very fragile. I would find them balanced if they had as low health as a Fairy, that way they still are as tough as they were, but they can't take a hit or else they will fall. So other ranged units or fast units like Orcs would be able to drop them easily if they get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    Orcs are good, solid Creatures, though easy to overlook. However, despite this, I don't think they're really underrated that much. I seem to recall people liking Orcs as units because they're strong and I think the biggest criticism towards the Orc that comes to mind is that they're kinda boring. This is working merely from memory, however. But I would agree with that assessment. Orcs have good capabilities both in battle and out, and they train fast as well, even for mid-game units. If they researched instead of manufacturing, they wouldn't be nearly as effective since researching stops at a point, while manufacturing is infinite.

The problem with Orcs is that they have no flavor. They're viable in many situations, but they have no specialization or any real depth. They're not like Dragons or even Tentacles, which have more interesting functions. Even a Giant is more interesting than a Orc. Not to mention, they also have a striking resemblance to the Troll. I think that is what really is the final straw in making the point that Orcs are not meant to be unique. They are generic, average, fighters.
    I must be one of the odd DK1 players since to be perfectly honest. I downright did not like Dragons. They took an eternity to kill which was their only benefit. They were expensive, they also took an eternity to kill something. They also had something about them that made me downright HATE them. Flame breath only kills! I love converting so seeing deaths even when I have set to imprison infuriates me. Seems to me their only use is if you use possession, which I don't like due to their cloudy vision. I personally preferred a Bile Demon over a Dragon. Great tanks as well and dealt good damage. They are also faster which is scary....the fat Bile Demon is faster than the Dragon....something about that isn't right...

As for the Orc, I may have such a connection to them since to me they weren't boring only due to the fact I never allowed trolls into my dungeon. Bile Demons were nearly just as effective and could fight, while trolls were useless in combat. So the Orc was special to me since it was literally a warrior troll which I liked. I never really played with Tentacles to know how they play. They look cool enough, but I never was able to get them in my dungeon, the few times I seen them, they were Heroes and often couldn't convert. Giants were cool, but sadly were just a harder hitting Barbarian with an extremely late game speed spell that wore off in seconds....

This talk makes me want to install DK1 again....

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

I agree they are OP as hell. I would think they are similar to the Fairy. Heavy damage, fast, but very fragile. I would find them balanced if they had as low health as a Fairy, that way they still are as tough as they were, but they can't take a hit or else they will fall. So other ranged units or fast units like Orcs would be able to drop them easily if they get to them.
    No, not as fragile as Fairies. Fairies have Rebound, making them immune to most projectiles unlike the DM. They also have other spells that make up for their lack of Speed Monster in addition to a relatively higher luck stat that makes their Lightning and Drain spells more powerful than the DM's with critical hits. (Lightning hits 10 times and Drain hits 2 times so yeah). With Freeze, they have a wider variety of usefulness compared to DMs. The possession of Rebound is especially important to note as it means they cannot be countered or punished easily for their own projectile spells. Same goes for the Wizard.

I do believe in an earlier version of my DK1 patch, I gave the DM the Missile spell at Level 4. This had a mixture of bonuses and penalties, allowing her to be an earlier ranged unit, which was good as she was made to be more fragile. However, it gave her a projectile spell to be punished by Rebound and also slowed her down when fleeing enemies as it forced her to take a moment to cast an additional spell. I believe I removed it because I felt I could balance her without the addition and I wanted her to act as an anti-Rebound unit.

I must be one of the odd DK1 players since to be perfectly honest. I downright did not like Dragons.
    What? That's nonsense. Dragons have the insane ability to defy reason and logic. Despite the fact that they lack arms of any sort and have a foggy as hell vision, they're as good as Warlocks with researching.

But I suppose you do have a point. People tend to overlook the awesomeness that is the Beetle simply because Dragons look cooler. Level 7 Freeze is pretty damn OP, especially for a Creature that can be attracted with the basic room set.

They took an eternity to kill which was their only benefit. They were expensive, they also took an eternity to kill something.
    I think there was some funny detail where, for the longest time, most people thought Flame Breath did 3 damage at base level, because that's how much damage the DK1 files say it does. Though it turns out that it actually deals 30 damage. The 3 damage is damage per frame, and it has a health of 10 so it lasts 10 frames.

I don't remember what I did with them in my patch regarding damage output though. I do recall a lot of thinking about how to handle the three Creature tanks (Beetle, Bile Demon, and Dragon) in various situations to give them each an easily recognized identity as a unit and also keeping them balanced.

I personally preferred a Bile Demon over a Dragon. Great tanks as well and dealt good damage. They are also faster which is scary....the fat Bile Demon is faster than the Dragon....something about that isn't right...
    I think Bile Demons were also a bit OP, but not very noticeably. I think it mainly came down to the fact that you could spam them easily with little to no consequence, as the Gas Damage stacked so well that it made up for anything lacking that would be gained from a well balanced army.

Dragons got a mixed package with FX. Word of Power made them pretty damn OP when spammed, like Dragons, but because FX removed all damage caps, the Dragon was at a heavy loss in average use. It meant their Heal couldn't keep up with the damage they were taking, so they felt pretty squishy for a tank.

As for the Orc, I may have such a connection to them since to me they weren't boring only due to the fact I never allowed trolls into my dungeon. Bile Demons were nearly just as effective and could fight, while trolls were useless in combat. So the Orc was special to me since it was literally a warrior troll which I liked. I never really played with Tentacles to know how they play. They look cool enough, but I never was able to get them in my dungeon, the few times I seen them, they were Heroes and often couldn't convert. Giants were cool, but sadly were just a harder hitting Barbarian with an extremely late game speed spell that wore off in seconds....
    I didn't think a lot of those units were necessarily better than Orcs, merely that they're more interesting as units. There's some level of higher depth. Also, Barbarians have identical stats to the Orc, it's just that the lack of Speed kills them.

This talk makes me want to install DK1 again....
    Then I will fire you from my patch.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!