Thread: An idea for difficulty settings

Spider

Default An idea for difficulty settings

Occurred to me today, when reading a post regarding revising the original DK1 campaign to make it more difficult.

Could each map have multiple script files associated with it? These could be to generate different levels of difficulty. I started thinking of easy, normal, and hard, but then I thought how interesting it'd be to allow more. The same map files could be used, though extra action points might need to be added. These could be unused for some scripts, and used for harder levels only.

I imagine a map being chosen, then a list of available scripts / difficulty levels being shown. Default is original, and then a list with, as an example:

Hades Devilish Twist
    Dayo's beat the clock
    Easy way out
    Virtually Impossible
    etc..

There's a lot of scope for variation within the scripts, even more so with keeperFX. It would allow efficient re-cycling of maps that have already been designed too. I realise this would be a complication at the menu level, and don't know how hard it would be to do? There would need to be rules so keeperFX knew if multiple scripts were available.

Thoughts?

Dayo

Warlock

Default Re: An idea for difficulty settings

My revised campaign is currently being drafted. Here's a wee hint of what to expect:

When the comes knocking, he won't be alone.

Perhaps there could be an author rated difficulty given per level? For example:

Code:
    Author rated difficulty: Easy/Average/Hard/Nightmare

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Warlock

Sounds good.

Although, when I come to think of it again... most (if not almost every) DK1 mapmaker has gone inactive so that might not be an entirely feasible option. Maybe users could rate levels instead based on some parameters; balance, creativity, map design etc.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Spider

A ranking of maps and/or campaigns is a good idea. However, it has nothing to do with using the same maps with different scripts, hence difficulty levels, as per my original suggestion. I'd be interested in Mefistotelis' thoughts on how difficult this would be to implement. Dayo

This can be done.
    Currently all the related parts of code are rewritten.

Still, changing interface requires quite lot of work.
    Also, I'm not really sure how many mapmakers would use that option. I don't think that would be popular.
    As I'm looking at the existing maps, mapmakers usually have problems even with one script - scripts are often very simple, or have errors.

I don't get much support from anyone regarding fixing script problems, so I don't really want to maintain more of them.
    What limits me is always time. I'd say preparing translations or integrating even more campaigns would be a better use of the time.

To conclude - while having such option would be nice for players, I'm not planning to implement it.
    Still, it's open-source project - if anyone feels like making it happen, feel free to do so.
    I will gladly help such person to implement it correctly.

The tasks would be:
    - To prepare multiple versions of scripts and test them all
    - To design the interface used for selection
    - To implement changes in the interface
    - To implement changes in campaign files (which should store information about all script variants for a level)

Spider

"Also, I'm not really sure how many mapmakers would use that option. I don't think that would be popular."

That's a fair point. However, I envisaged the extra scripts being generated chiefly by players other than the map author. Mainly for the most popular maps / campaigns. I didn't envisage multiple scripts for every level.

"As I'm looking at the existing maps, mapmakers usually have problems even with one script - scripts are often very simple, or have errors"

Another good point. Especially relevant when you say you don't get much support fixing script problems. Perhaps you could give me an example of a script needing attention, and I'll see if I can sort it out (it's been a long time, but I can give it a go!).

"To conclude - while having such option would be nice for players, I'm not planning to implement it."

Fair enough, no problem. I appreciate you are a busy man. I do still wonder how big a user-base KFX has today. Do you know how many times the latest version was downloaded? The number of players is key to determining the worth of any updates I guess?

anyway, good discussion. I may try to write a new script for an original DK1 level, and see how different yet interesting I can make it.

thanks

Dayo