Thread: The Strah-Teh-Gee Thread

Default The Strah-Teh-Gee Thread

I will constantly update this thread with links to new strategys (possibly demonstrated in video or pictures) and tactics you can use to get ahead in Campaign, Skirmishes, or Multiplayer. (for MP, how to counter as well)

I'll be making a website later dedicated to the listing of strategies, and demonstration of them.

First off, lets discuss some to make a list.

I'll just throw some general ones down right now.

Always build a 5x5 lair, considering you usually might build around the lair so it would be hard to expand it without building a seperate one.

A 4x4 hatchery is prefered.

If you are on a map with plenty of gold, or even gems, be sure to build a small combat pit for fast training. Using a combat pit compared to a training room can double or even triple the speed of training your creatures, not to mention, it doesn't use up gold like the Training room.

Be sure to expand early, mining paths to special units, items, or rooms so you are able get an edge. If there is a small amount of gold on the map, get it before your enemy does, and he won't be able to expand as fast.

Always build the prison away from the front of your dungeon, to keep the enemy from jail breaking your prisoners and gaining reinforcments.

If you are able to, dig around the main path and flank an enemy base.

Use skeletons as a last resort or a final attack because they do not pass out when they are near dead, they will just die.

If the enemy possesses a unit, and pushes to the back with it to attack your support units, either lighting it or pick your men up.

Be sure to build atleast a braced door between each room, if not steel. If you have plenty of money and several trolls, build magic doors.

I'll think of more tips and strategies later. Feel free to add to this.

Default Re: The Strah-Teh-Gee Thread

I made 4 guides to dk2 to help with the break down of all the aspects of dk2, and to give some tips

Here they are: http://www.box.net/shared/mc6i6i17bc

Well you only have a few creature tips, so this will be a massive addition then :P

a tip, seperate the tips in multiplayer, singleplayer lists. otherwise there might be missunderstandings which can have consequenses in the games.

That is to come.

I like building huge trap mazes for my enemies, thats especially funny when playing against AI as they just claim everything they can get too Works on multiplayer too sometimes when people don't realise whats they're claiming.

Hello good evening and welcome!
    It's me, d4rklqrdnem3sys again, I re-registered, seems my old account was lost.
    Here I start a new and long forum career! Nice to be here again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kromeh View Post
    I will constantly update this thread with links to new strategys (possibly demonstrated in video or pictures) and tactics you can use to get ahead in Campaign, Skirmishes, or Multiplayer. (for MP, how to counter as well)
    I'll be making a website later dedicated to the listing of strategies, and demonstration of them.
    Where is the website?

Always build a 5x5 lair, considering you usually might build around the lair so it would be hard to expand it without building a seperate one.
    That is silly! Never build square lairs if you have the patience! 5x5 spaces are rare to come by in some places, and lairs do not require any quantity of square space! Just start deleting your 5x5 lairs and find 25 single tiles. Much better! NOW you have 5x5 free space for a Temple. And seperate lairs are cool! Makes creatures more widespread in the dungeon, making them choose more hatcheries, not just the one closest to your original lair (now a temple). This is extremely helpful because the first built lair is bound to bug up sometime and create less and less chickens.

A 4x4 hatchery is prefered.
    Prefered by whom? <performs an irritating look> I think hatcheries are free of square build limitations too, so 1x1 works, 1x436 makes your corridors useful, 5x5 feeds well, 32x54 can be effective in low quantity dungeons, but a lot of hatchery corridors are best choice, KEEPER! lol
    3x4 is nothing more than 3x3+3 = totally just a stupid way of decorating unused tiles. 3x3;5;7 and so on (+2) is the key to add "middleoftheroom" appliances.

If you are on a map with plenty of gold, or even gems, be sure to build a small combat pit for fast training. Using a combat pit compared to a training room can double or even triple the speed of training your creatures, not to mention, it doesn't use up gold like the Training room.
    Yeah combat pit is cheaper, even though it costs a lot more to build! ... and can serve less creatures than the training room! Besides of you're imps are too busy or just stupid to get the unconscious creatures from the sides of the combat pit, then you'll end up with a large amount of uncontrolled new creature pool in mere seconds.

Be sure to expand early, mining paths to special units, items, or rooms so you are able get an edge. If there is a small amount of gold on the map, get it before your enemy does, and he won't be able to expand as fast.
    Ok, build a lot of mazes for the Imp A.I. ! They will never arrive in time for any task. And be warned, some neutral creatures can sometimes be added to the creature pool. Buggy little engine! lol A dungeon with no walls is sometimes the best we can have, but we can't have that now can we , huh? Perhaps in my pet dungeon!

Always build the prison away from the front of your dungeon, to keep the enemy from jail breaking your prisoners and gaining reinforcments.
    Prisons (like combat pits, temples)should be used to hinder the movements of invading armies, since it's middle is uncrossable, and jailbreaks are uncommon in skirmish and single player. Though not important enough to be put to the front lines, they are too dangerous to be put too near your dungeon heart, if you are a nooo0b you can suffer a quick jailbreak invasion and your dungeon heart will be under attack by hostiles and a big red exclamation mark.

If you are able to, dig around the main path and flank an enemy base.
    Yeah yeah flank yeah, but diggin' a one square line to the enemy dungeon heart will surely hinder the movements of creatures rushing in following the arms flag, and being stuck in a corridor means enemy firebombs and fearless creatures' assault! Some of your creatures are unable to get to the call to arms flag, BUT THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW IT, and stuck too far away from the destination they will not fight back.

Use skeletons as a last resort or a final attack because they do not pass out when they are near dead, they will just die.
    Meh thinks they deserve to live! Away with the skeleton genocide already, use them against minor threats or in large numbers! Or just for the praying possibility. If in a big battle, send them in from behind your blockers, to intercept the enemy while they are busy fighting the flankers and the blitzers. They are either perfect for a second wave of shock troops who will scramble enemy lines after the blitzers destroyed the defensive traps, or a final massive fleet to annihilate all!

If the enemy possesses a unit, and pushes to the back with it to attack your support units, either lighting it or pick your men up.
    Or just build a temple around him... if he was a black knight, cast turncoat into the pool... presto, you've turned the enemy possessed black knight into your own hero knight! Or build a combat pit around him and use him as target for your creatures to train them past level 8 and heal him. Or possess a mistress and freeze him, then possess an imp, group (7) a lot of imps by your side and help the creatures by attacking the frozen enemy, this way not pulling vital creatures from the battle. ... or if you are lazy you can always turn him into a chicken. I think that unpossesses them.

Be sure to build atleast a braced door between each room, if not steel. If you have plenty of money and several trolls, build magic doors.
    Braced doors and magic doors are unfortunately completely useless! Use wooden doors to restrict movement for example trolls into own little dungeon sections with workshop or skeletons in an out of way corridor to prevent recieving enemy sentry fire! Use steel doors to slow the enemy traversing your grounds and slow your own angry creatures from getting to the portal in time, place them on a single tile of stone bridge surrounded by lava, and when they rebel, they can be converted into useful minions again if they already have the arrow icon. And use secret doors to of course hide your presence from enemies, but only at your very frontiers, cause eventually either a hero dwarf or an enemy imp will breach your walls and start advancing towards your heart, and if the path ahead is uncertain, they will make their own and dig through your needed wall spaces where 3 tile rooms like workshops and torture chambers need wall accessories. And also use secret doors to create shortcuts for your creatures and imps through your dungeon heart. Shortcuts will not destabilize your defense against invaders if you have proper (non secret) doors from your first frontal guard room and inwards. Braced doors are just useless, they are neither strong as a steel door, nor cheap as a wooden door. And magic doors are just draining 30 mana and firing a single slow fireball weaker than the salamander spit.

I'll think of more tips and strategies later. Feel free to add to this.
    I've added to this!

Good evening keeper klan!