Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I need your opinion on the bonus levels

Warlock

Default Re: I need your opinion on the bonus levels

@Blaise End

1) you only have a small vein of gold to the west at hand, and that is NOT enough to support 20 minions (much less 60!). you will need to attack, and with the massive hero drop to the north, they'll get creamed.

2) When I play Blaise End, I always play to hem in the hero gates before they dig out and overrun me. I always remember them digging out towards your base. I don't recall them being dependent on mining gold though.

@Full Moon

What about a choice between , , , and , which you can choose from?
    Last edited by Hades; September 7th, 2013 at 01:43.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Quote Originally Posted by Hades
    1) you only have a small vein of gold to the west at hand, and that is NOT enough to support 20 minions (much less 60!). you will need to attack, and with the massive hero drop to the north, they'll get creamed.
    Correction: you have a small vein of gold to the west AND you have both half moons of gold to the north. And I'm not talking to have 20 minions, but like 5 or 6. Depends on the way you play though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hades
    What about a choice between , , , and , which you can choose from?
    I'll check this out, thanks for the suggestions anyways.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    Correcting the text messages is the tricky part since it'd have to be done on every language.
    Huh, oh yeah I forgot about that.

Good point, but there's a problem: another bonus level, the one with the demon spawn, requires that you must boost it using tons of "Increase level" crates, and that's the goal of that bonus level. But I don't see it as much of a problem since you usually transfer a high level minion each time anyway. The only problem I may notice is along with the Thief for the full moon bonus level where you could quickly turn it to a level 10 . So, either I alter the Thief to something else or get rid of it, either I leave it as is. Otherwise, I'm awaiting your suggestions.
    Oh yeah I forgot about that as well, lol.

If we're still looking for a gold based Creature, how about a mid level Warlock? Warlocks are greedy and were supposed to gain sleep experience from gold even. It's a common enough Creature for the Moon Level to not interfere, and also a good bonus regardless as it gives a head start in research at the least.

So far, a is fine.
    M'kay.

Moonshrine? Lol! Did you mean Mirthshire?
    goddamndk2andyourunoriginalsimilarnames

Yeah, you actually get that bonus level on Mirthshire. Since the Locate Hidden Realm crate isn't well hidden and the level is quite easy to solve, I wouldn't see the bonus level to be too much challenging. I will buff some heroes, but nothing more.
    Hm, yeah fair point. It is a pretty easy to find special.

Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    Besides, Dragonia in Ancient Keeper was near impossible without the , so there is utility in that sort of level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    As for the full moon level, what sort of reward should there be, if the would be overkill?
    Do you really need one of us to answer that for you? What is so difficult in the full moon level that warrants an Avatar as a reward? Even a Horned Reaper or Knight would be pushing it.

There's a big problem with upping the risk/reward of the level in general. For those who play the map as it was intended, during the full moon, then they essentially have one day to complete it. This means they can't just memorize a pattern or strategy through trial and error to beat the level, they don't have the time for that. So then it comes down to a question of general player skill to see if they can beat the map within that short period of time. And that is what brings us to the actual problem.

If the Player is struggling with the game and actually need the reward, then increasing the difficulty will only make it more impossible for said player to obtain that reward as they don't have the skill to obtain it within that day of play time. The fact that they don't have the skill to beat the now more challenging moon level is the whole reason why they went to the secret map to begin with, as they're struggling with the main campaign and need a bonus help.

On the other hand, if the player is skilled enough to beat this more challenging bonus level within a few tries, they likely have the skill to beat the campaign regardless and don't need the extra help. So getting that big reward just breaks the game for them as it throws the difficulty right out the window.

What needs to be done is lowering the risk/reward to something simple for this type of bonus map. A Warlock as I proposed earlier is a simple enough reward, so it works really well. I suppose the difficulty of the actual map is another thing to consider.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MGR
    If we're still looking for a gold based Creature, how about a mid level Warlock? Warlocks are greedy and were supposed to gain sleep experience from gold even. It's a common enough Creature for the Moon Level to not interfere, and also a good bonus regardless as it gives a head start in research at the least.
    Sounds good.

I never considered Blaise End that hard. It may take a bit longer time, but I fortified my dungeon, digged only for the gold nearby, locked the training room whenever gold was getting low and got most money through a very big workshop. With 19 orcs on level 10 I never had the feeling I need the reaper as they were able to take down every hero group.

Regarding the secret levels and it´s rewards, the reaper might be a fine reward but it made Mistle a bit too easy for me. Overall this level was also pretty easy even without the training room for a while. My suggestion would be to either get another reward creature for it or making the heroes in the area at the bottom stronger or the keeper a harder competition. When I played it, he never digged for the big gem section, only the small one, but he built a lot of workshops for no use and his army of spiders and skeletons was killed in less than a minute by my troops...

Gamer IDs

Mistle has been altered in my patch to make wizards and thieves to be on a higher experience level since you can get hornies rather easily in this realm. As for the enemy keeper, I made sure that he gets a big army of spiders and skeletons so that even the heroes of this realm couldn't defeat it.

And no, a horned reaper in a bonus level isn't a good idea. I don't wanna make that berzerker to be easy to get since it could make some levels easy to solve at their beginning.

Warlock

Mistle has been altered in my patch to make wizards and thieves to be on a higher experience level since you can get hornies rather easily in this realm. As for the enemy keeper, I made sure that he gets a big army of spiders and skeletons so that even the heroes of this realm couldn't defeat it.

And no, a horned reaper in a bonus level isn't a good idea. I don't wanna make that berzerker to be easy to get since it could make some levels easy to solve at their beginning.
    In my version of the revised campaign, you get:
    a) a squad of w/scav room.
    b) a couple of increase levels to allow you a chance to win against the heroes, as well as
    c) an available gem face to allow you to last more than a couple of paydays.
    d) the yellow keeper (changed the colour from blue and changed the level skin to winter) is walled off completely so you have to get destroy walls before you can attack him.

As for my bonus level, you get a mix of creatures to choose from, as suggested

Gamer IDs

The scavenger room in this realm was a bad idea so I got rid of it to increase the difficulty of this level. New gems aren't really necessary as you can rather easily get the ones in the north-east of the level.

Warlock

The scavenger room in this realm was a bad idea so I got rid of it to increase the difficulty of this level. New gems aren't really necessary as you can rather easily get the ones in the north-east of the level.
    If you're fast enough though. When I complete my version of Mistle, the Keeper should have a massive dungeon at their disposal with a formidable army, so by the time you get there, it's going to be messy.

Gamer IDs

Depends where you dig and what you do. Each time, I easily managed to access to the gems by going in the North path instead of the East one. With hornies and vampires, you can manage to kill the heroes in there. Then, the rest is easy. Just avoid barbarians to access to your dungeon and dig straight in direction of the gems. You have plenty of time to get access to these since the computer player will take a quite long time before he digs up and reach these.
    I also always manage to easily get the training room without doing any fights and attract the samurais from the pool. Everything else is just easy.

So, should I alter the level to make it pretty painfully hard by avoiding to access to the north-east gems and avoiding to get the training room easily?