Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: General Improvement Mod - A New Unofficial Patch for DK2

Imp

Default Re: General Improvement Mod - A New Unofficial Patch for DK2

Hi Wyrmcast. I have been playing through the SP campaign with GIM 0.63. The AI changes have been very welcome and I have had to think a lot more about how i play. I am very interested to see your changes to the lighting as that has always felt off to me in DK2 - too bright where DK1 was too dark.

I am a little concerned about the other changes. I am up to mission 14, peachtree, where gold is extremely limited and magic doors are introduced. If I upgrade to GIM 0.91, it looks like I will have to spend a lot more gold on paying creatures like skeletons and dwarves, and not be able to attack the hero magic doors in melee? I already run out of gold just building the bare essentials to survive. Otherwise, particularly for skirmishes, I am looking forward to the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmcast View Post
    Thanks.

By the way I didn't actually do that, with the magic door. It's a quirk in the official patch 1.5. It's a 1.5 bug or feature, I'm not sure which one to call it.

If it was up to me, I'd just make the magic door resistant to melee attacks, but vulnerable to magic, like I think was the case in DK1. I wouldn't make it completely immune to physical attacks. Though I did raise the magic door price up to 30,000 gold, to compensate.
    Saw something curious right now while playing a skirmish map. The heroes on the map had a magic door which they could pass through whenever they want. As I summoned Horny for a battle against several of them, Horny for some odd reason rushed towards said door and started to constantly bonk and bounce against it. A hero knight then runs through the door and Horny steps right in, but stops right under the door. Needless to say, he started to attack the door till he broke it. This has led me to believe that the hit box detection for the magic door is extremely small that melee creatures can't position theirselves in such a way they can hit it (Or just don't know how to do it well), but ranged creatures are able to hit the door as their ranged attacks are bound to hit against the door's "tiny" hit box.

I'm still not sure, I would have to try it again in a different scenario just to be sure about it.

Imp

Scratch that, after about eight attempts on 0.63, I was able to complete it on the second try in 0.91.

It wasn't magic door cost I was worried about, but not being able to recruit many ranged fighters to break through them with the gold and space available on this map. Wasn't much of an issue once I started using salamanders and dark elves more effectively. The magic is much deadlier than the weedy fireball from before.

As for the pay it just pushed me to keep going faster. Once I got past the second section that was tripping me up before, there were plenty of Make Happy specials to make up for not paying creatures a few times.

The lighting looks awesome, very black where there are no light emitters. That orange invulnerable rock light is still quite bright but the rest is balanced very nicely.

hey,
    got a little problem, i did follow your instructions, but now the writing-language in main menu and some other parts of DK2 is either some for me unknown or even no language.
    i have DK2 installed in german with the german 1.7 patch. Here some writing parts in main menu:

Single Player Game ----> Tjohmf Qmbzfs Hbnf
    Multiplayer Game ----> Nvmujqmbzfs Hbnf
    My Pet Dungeon -----> Nz Qfu Evohfpo

i have no idea what that language could be, and also no idea why my main menu is in it.

Greetings, Deadworker

It is obviously a text that is screwed up. You can see that it is english by letter count. Something is wrong with the encoding, propbably you are using a different language pack on an english version.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

The text is simply the English text with the characters offset by one (A -> B, etc.)

Evidently there is some text error caused by mixing a German game with the English text from the English patch. Probably loading English text with German encoding, which might have more/different characters (like ß or something) throwing off the character lists used for encoding. (Although this is just theorizing/speculation.)

The Awakening

hey,
    so what can i do? i have 2 Dungeon-Keeper discs with the german version. had no problem to play the english one, but how can i change language?

Greetings,Deadworker.

hey,
    well i don't think i can get an english version of DK2 without buying it again, can i?

Fly

I have played your newest release and have spotted a failure. If my creatures or that from the enemies get angry and those, who don't left the dungeon or aren't able and they rebelled. Hope you can change it!

Wäre dankbar, wenn du es hinbekommen könntest.

Fly

You're right. I have to explain it better. The creatures rebell though they can reach the portal but this happen rarely! In one game from beginn to end, it rebell 2-3 creatures.