Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Question on how to have keeperfx with vanilla stats for AK

Spider

Default Re: Question on how to have keeperfx with vanilla stats for AK

In the keeporig.cfg file, there are (REM'd out) references to folders that no longer exist. For example:

CREATURES_LOCATION = campgns/keeporig_crtr

We've waited a long time for creature stats to be rolled back to the original. While Dragonslover is working on this, why don't we just revert to these old config files? Better to be closer right now than wait to get it perfect? Can always be updated / tweaked?

Dayo

Quote Originally Posted by dayokay View Post
    CREATURES_LOCATION = campgns/keeporig_crtr
    This was always kept there only as a comment. Original campaign should use global config, so it doesn't need per-campaign configs location.

If you will place different configs to ie. keeporig_crtr and uncomment that line - it will work. But that's not what I'm planning in official releases.

We've waited a long time for creature stats to be rolled back to the original. While Dragonslover is working on this, why don't we just revert to these old config files?
    KeeperFX is now quite far from original DK, and using original values from config files won't bring it closer to original.
    If you have a specific config parameter you'd like to see reverted - we can discuss it.

Spider

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post

KeeperFX is now quite far from original DK, and using original values from config files won't bring it closer to original.
    Really? It's so far from the original that all these changes are irrelevant? That seems unlikely.

My desire to restore is based solely on playability of the existing campaigns. New creature stats, tricks, spells etc are all great, but shouldn't adversely effect the playability of what's already out there. Otherwise, what is it for? I do realise that some changes were necessary (due to bug-fixes), but don't understand why orginal stats weren't left alone for pre-exisitng campaigns, especially given that KeeperFX allows for this?

Quote from Simon Carter interview

".. when we shipped it, Keeper had been in development for a long time and was very close to having too many features and too little polish"

Assuming we are concerned with how existing campaigns play, is it the intention to re-write them when KeeperFX is 'finished'? Or to continually tweak them alongside KeeperFX changes?

Dayo

Really? It's so far from the original that all these changes are irrelevant? That seems unlikely.
    It's so far that some changes may be needed to make it closer to original gameplay.

I do realise that some changes were necessary (due to bug-fixes), but don't understand why orginal stats weren't left alone for pre-exisitng campaigns, especially given that KeeperFX allows for this?
    About stats for different campaigns - it's not that they were removed intentionally; it's just that noone made a version for KeeperFX - and KeeperFX can't read creature.txt from original game.
    If anyone would take time to make a config for specific campaign, I will include it to KeeperFX, and will try to maintain it in the future (config files format is sometimes changed, so all configs require maintenance).

Assuming we are concerned with how existing campaigns play, is it the intention to re-write them when KeeperFX is 'finished'? Or to continually tweak them alongside KeeperFX changes?
    I would prefer to have them as soon as possible. KeeperFX is open-source project with quite few developers - it may stop being developed any time.

In general:
    There are "global" config files (mandatory, always loaded), and "per-campaign" config files (may or may not exist for a campaign, and inside some options may be missing).

So if there's no per-campaign config file which would overwrite specific config option, then "global" value of the option is used.
    First, global configs are loaded, and then the options which are present in per-campaign configs are overwritten.
    Last edited by mefistotelis; January 3rd, 2014 at 19:31.

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    It's so far that some changes may be needed to make it closer to original gameplay.

About stats for different campaigns - it's not that they were removed intentionally; it's just that noone made a version for KeeperFX - and KeeperFX can't read creature.txt from original game.
    If anyone would take time to make a config for specific campaign, I will include it to KeeperFX, and will try to maintain it in the future (config files format is sometimes changed, so all configs require maintenance).

I would prefer to have them as soon as possible. KeeperFX is open-source project with quite few developers - it may stop being developed any time.

In general:
    There are "global" config files (mandatory, always loaded), and "per-campaign" config files (may or may not exist for a campaign, and inside some options may be missing).

So if there's no per-campaign config file which would overwrite specific config option, then "global" value of the option is used.
    First, global configs are loaded, and then the options which are present in per-campaign configs are overwritten.
    I did one thing to make certain levels more attainable in a few campaigns and that was to alter them on a mission basis,
    like the level where the AI has a feck tonne of Vampires, i reduced their luck by 25%
    a few levels the gold amount was doubled (although some levels for jokes i made it 10X larger and mining was hilarious, 500,000 Gold per couple of blocks, reworking the treasure room was a neccessity to stop having gold lying everywhere)
    Tweaked the archer a little bit to make it easier to get on the hero campaign to combat the OP Horny's (as Archer in possession mode is so OP if you use Accelerate and then fire the meat missiles you can fire hundreds and hundreds a minute, takes down anything)
    Doubled imps training time from 1-2 so they train in half the time
    Altered a few prices and training times
    Doubled Avatars health.

These tweaks allowed me to fly through AK (so they're far from balanced as I'm far from the best DK player) but if i go in for it completely balance focused and maybe have a crack at a few level exploit based tweaks, I can make a level by level global config (which will mean youll have to replace the configs level by level) but it should make AK far more manageable for those who aren't pro-level DK players.

So currently
    Level 1 plays like a dream, challenging but entirely possible, takes time as always but thats what Ctrl+ is for.
    Level 2 is weird, the AI has gone sporadic with Mistresses from Yellow player popping up, the Blue and Green going straight for the Whites dungeon heart and even taking over just a couple of rooms your Vamps get stormed by a bunch of Bile Demons and Orcs all at once, pretty much impossible so far, in the main RC of KeeperFX though Level 2 the units are more sedentary (although even then the only way I won before was getting lucky in having all the Yellow Mistresses stay in their lair whilst I managed to get two Knights into their heart.

Having more problems with the campaign. Level 13 - Sloth. The walkthrough says that your orcs should have "no problem" defeating the samurais and knights on the level, but they pretty much get wiped out instantly :/

Did orcs get nerfed??

Quote Originally Posted by _David_R View Post
    Having more problems with the campaign. Level 13 - Sloth. The walkthrough says that your orcs should have "no problem" defeating the samurais and knights on the level, but they pretty much get wiped out instantly :/
    It may be the case as with a lot of missions where it's all in possession mode. Like Level 1 you can wipe out the archers many times over and farm so much money with Warlock + Accelerate and Weapon 6. just prepare to wear your finger out.

Post a save and which version you're using I'll have a looksies.